Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

This is a discussion on Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is going around on the internet and I would not belive it, but some have states that they have called WalMarts 800 number and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: WalMart to stop selling guns and most ammo in 2 years?

This is going around on the internet and I would not belive it, but some have states that they have called WalMarts 800 number and they have not denied it yet.

According to the rumor, Walmart will only carry 22 LR ammo and shotgun shells and sell no firearms at all in half of all there stores.

Can anyone confirm this? I only buy .357 mag, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 SPL, 30-30 ammo there because they have the best price on it. Everything else is junk.

I honestly would not care personally... and I don't think it's fair to jump on Walmart's butt for it either, their competition is Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Cotsco etc. not Academy, Big 5, Dick's or Gander Mountain.

Their whole sporting goods section is pretty much a joke anyway other than the cheap Spyderco Natives and Buck knives. I don't care if their Remington 870 express is $10 cheaper, they can't even tell me what size chamber it has without checking their literature, they hand you .357 Sig when you ask for .357 Magnum and vice versa, and if anything you buy from them ever goes south you're on your own.

I admit I pick up WWB there, but online deals are a lot better. Buy a whole lot of ammo at once, it's cheaper.

What amazes me though is that with just a little bit of expansion they'd make a killing... If I were Walmart I'd sell the Glock 19, Smith and Wesson 686, the Ruger P95 and 22/45, and the Springfield GI and maybe one or two other handguns... nothing else, and I'd make millions of dollars...

you echo what i think euc only thing i buy from wally world is 22 if its ever in stock

Well I would hate to see them stop selling larger caliber ammo since I buy a fair amount of 9mm from them. I've looked on the web and haven't found anyone beating their price. I've seen some lower end ammo like Wolf that comes close to matching the price, but then with shipping it falls behind.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

I hate the thought of losing another place to buy guns and ammunition. Like the store or not, it hurts the shooting world just a bit to lose another retail supplier. The Anti-gunners will consider it a major win, and I don't like the thought of that either...

Quote Originally Posted by exposurecontrol
    Well I would hate to see them stop selling larger caliber ammo since I buy a fair amount of 9mm from them. I've looked on the web and haven't found anyone beating their price. I've seen some lower end ammo like Wolf that comes close to matching the price, but then with shipping it falls behind.
    Lancer Custom Ammunition will sell me 1000 rounds of 115 grain FMJ, for $125 shipped. They're reloads but probably equivalent to WWB.

Federal 115 grainers can be had from Ammoman.com for $85 for 500 rounds shipped. In my case with sales tax that works out to about what I'd pay at Walmart buying bulk packs of WWB.

Wolf I've found runs just fine and runs cleaner than WWB. Russians know quite a lot about making guns, that their ammo should be good shouldn't surprise anyone.

Assistant Administrator
    The Anti-gunners will consider it a major win, and I don't like the thought of that either...
    kastiron - I agree on that.

Even tho I do not use WM all that much for ammo - I just dislike the idea that they would drop that and some guns. Mind you K-Mart was supposedly going this route a year or two ago but my nearest one still has stuff and I can get my fed Chapion there at $10 a brick.

I agree that in more cases than not - one thing no one will get in large measure at the WM sporting goods counter is advise, or even good info re ammo.! For those of us tho who know what we want it is no big problem.

I remember 5 years ago I got my Marlin 60 from a local branch. $100 and always been pleased with that. I somehow doubt the PA branches will drop this dept in too big of a hurry but in some states - maybe not so surprising.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Reload all I shoot but .22 LR. Get them at Wal-Mart or Dick's. Hope they don't stop.

Worked there for 24 years. Believe it!

Furthermore, the CEO's wife is an animal rights activist. Any and all mounted birds, fish, and game heads are to be removed immediately.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

The one here has removed all the gun gear (cleaning supplies, etc..) and now only have the rifles/shotguns and ammo but it looks as if they are thinning that out also.

When Sam was in charge, Wally World was a decent place. His kids are destroying it big time.

Wayne

They only have Winchester anyway...no real big selection. Moreover, they are looking a little slim. What do you bet they go ahead and stick a no weapons sticky on the front door?
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I try and avoid wallyworld as much as possible, this will be one less reason to go there for me.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I only get cheap range ammo there.

What do you bet they go ahead and stick a no weapons sticky on the front door?
    Don't matter to me... I can (and will) carry in the store anyway. They can't keep out CHL holders from carrying in the store because state law doesn't give them that option.

They can only legally keep those without a CHL from carrying into the store. And I bet that will work: Criminal #1 "Hey criminal number 2, we can't carry, there's a sign". Criminal #2, "Dang, guess we can't go into the store then".

I've also spoken with the Sheriff on the matter also, the property owners CANNOT ask you to leave and then call the LEO's for a trespassing charge. State law allows CHL holder to carry ANYWHERE unless it's in law the places that you can't (and even though the sheriffs have their "do not carry" sheets, they will admit if pressed that they can't arrest except in a federal court house/Federal Building (and no, the PO isn't in this catagory) ONLY in this state).

Wayne

I buy my WWB 115 9mm range ammo exclusively from Walmart. I don't go their for advice, only when I know what I want. For JHP or premium ammo and firearms I go to local gunshops.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links