seek recommendations for .22 target pistol

This is a discussion on seek recommendations for .22 target pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am adequately equipped for concealed carry with my Glocks, but I am considering getting a .22 semi-auto pistol for plinking. I am fairly ignorant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seek recommendations for .22 target pistol

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

seek recommendations for .22 target pistol

I am adequately equipped for concealed carry with my Glocks, but I am considering getting a .22 semi-auto pistol for plinking. I am fairly ignorant of choices in this category of pistol.

I don't need anything fancy; if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

2. Remove Ads

Check out the Smith & Wesson 22a with either 5-1/2 or 7" barrels. I picked one up 3-4 months ago and really enjoy shooting it. I've seen them from $190 to $285. I put a red dot scope on it and shoot bullseye with it.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

VIP Member
    I have had a Ruger Mark One for many years, great little pistol and fun to shoot. My only complaint is sometimes it is difficult to reassemble after fieldstripping. Their Mark III is basically the same weapon just updated.

Ruger Mark III™ *Rimfire Autoloading*Pistols
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

S&W 22A if youre buying new, Smith & Wesson Model 41 if you can locate one second hand, slightly more $$ but a great target gun and plinker.

A few bad reviews on the Sig Mosquito (I would avoid)

Walther P22, good quality but not good for small hands

Cant go wrong with a Ruger .22, but they look butt ugly in my opnion, the 22A looks great, works well and has a more familar feel to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Also, take a look at the Browning Buckmark; great gun for the money.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Also, take a look at the Browning Buckmark; great gun for the money.

Yes I also got one of these. Good Bang for the Buck.

I have a Ruger Mark II. Great little plinker. Just don't lose the re-assemble instructions.

I have a Ruger MkIII with a bull barrel. I put a red dot on it and had a trigger job done, its really a fun gun. Shot bullseye target with it, but spend most the time plinking with it now.

As mentioned by others...it is a PITA to reassemble, but I have found I can clean it well enough without a field strip.

My father has a S&W Model 41 and it is a fantastic gun. I think they are quite expensive, but out of the box it is the most perfect trigger I've ever squeezed. Its a little more finicky than my Ruger, it jams every once and a while, but it could just be a cheap ammo issue.

I have a Mark III 22/45 and a Mark II. Excellent weapons - as previously mentioned, a real pain to get back together sometimes.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I am adequately equipped for concealed carry with my Glocks, but I am considering getting a .22 semi-auto pistol for plinking. I am fairly ignorant of choices in this category of pistol.

I don't need anything fancy; if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them.
    The browning Buck mark is often mentioned. This is a great target pistol.

I prefer plinking with a hand gun that can be used for defensive carry training, not target shooting. There is a difference.

I prefer the Walther P22. It has easy to load 10 round magazines. I think mine came with two. I bought 8 more.

Shooting a well balanced .22 is inexpensive and fun. The Walther P22 is 3/4 the size of it big brother the P99.

Keep it clean and it will serve you well. As with most fine firearms, you will pay a little more for the name. It is licensed for distribution by Smith & Wesson. Prices vary. It should be about $335.00

The only downside to this pistol I know of is that it does not have a captured recoil spring. That can make cleaning a chore.

It shoots straight, is very compact and and is an excellent training pistol. With HP ammo, it can also be considered as a self defense weapon.

If you want to go to another level, have a look at the very advanced technology of new Walther models, have a look at the PPS 9MM or .40.

I also own several Sig Sauer Pistols. These are Swiss designed but now manufactured in the US.

All Sig's are great pistols except for the .22 Mosquito. Do not let anyone talk you into this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I bought a used Ruger 22/45 MKIII to supplement my 9mm's at the range. I'm really pleased with the pistol. I think that given the ammo shortages and price increases, a .22LR pistol is great a money saving investment.

Disassembly/Reassembly is not as easy as my other pistols, but I didn't have much trouble after watching the following video (YouTube - Ruger MK III Disassembly / Assembly).

Get a .22 conversion kit for one of your Glocks. You can practice with your carry piece and not go broke!

I am a big fan of the Beretta Neos.

I wanted something to plink with, teach my wife how to shoot with, and something that I could shoot cheaply. A lot of the other 22 semi's suffer from reliability issues with bulk ammo, leading people to shoot the higher priced, higher power .22 rounds and for me, that defeated the purpose.

The Neos has been ultra reliable with bulk ammo, the accuracy up to 25 yards is just short of great, and the rail mount and adjustable sites make it perfect for what I wanted to use it for.

I've taught people to shoot with my Neos from ages 5 to 60 and everybody that has tried it has loved it. Just my .02.

(One small disclaimer, the adjustable rear site will walk out after 4-500 rounds...a dab of lock-tite took care of that problem.)
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Yea for .22 rimfire handguns! Don't see much discussion of them here. A .22 handgun has always been an excellent idea for both training and enjoyment.

I've really liked the Browning Buckmarks I've shot over the years. Also Ruger's .22 automatic pistols are great though I dislike disassembling them. Perhaps if I owned one I'd become more proficient in field stripping it.

My most used firearm is a Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 which is a very accurate and durable revolver. Another .22 handgun I really enjoy shooting is the Colt Woodsman. If one can find a good Woodsman or any of its sub-variants He will have a satisfying .22 pistol.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links