Springfield XD's - Single or double action?

This is a discussion on Springfield XD's - Single or double action? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been "debating" this with a buddy the past few days. I have read many articles that describe the Springfield XD as a single action pistol ...

Thread: Springfield XD's - Single or double action?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Been "debating" this with a buddy the past few days. I have read many articles that describe the Springfield XD as a single action pistol because the pulling of the trigger in no way helps cock or even move the striker. Cocking is done solely by the slide being racked back.

Glock, on the other hand, I have understood to be SA/DA because the trigger pull does move the striker back just slightly aiding in the cocking of the striker before firing.

True single action, to me, is like the old cowboy pistols in that the hammer is required to be manually pulled back and the trigger pull only releases the hammer and trigger pull will not re-cock the hammer.

Can someone please shed some more light?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

IMO the XD is single action, and guns like Glock and Kahr that complete the cocking of the striker before releasing it are neither SA or DA. I guess you could call them a hybrid of the two, but by labeling them SA/DA you infer the ability to cock the striker with a trigger pull. It takes both the slide, and the trigger to cock the striker.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    It is a striker style pistol and is neither single nor double action. Think of it like a bolt action rifle, all the trigger does is release the striker. You wouldn't call a bolt gun single action would you? The terms do not apply to these type pistols.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It is a striker style pistol and is neither single nor double action. Think of it like a bolt action rifle, all the trigger does is release the striker. You wouldn't call a bolt gun single action would you? The terms do not apply to these type pistols.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

IDPA classifies the XD as having a single action trigger, IIRC.

Glocks are generally referred to as "safe" action.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Yeah, striker-fired weapons do not fall under the SA/DA designation...they are striker fired.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Hmmmm.

If striker fired means no hammer, then there are striker fired guns which are DAO and DA/SA as well; e.g., SW 99 which is striker fired if I understand it right.

I have an XD , SA refers to it as a Ultra Safety Assurance Action Trigger System.

JD
    Administrator
    I think it's a "half of dozen of one vs. six of the other" issue.

I consider the XD to be a single action, striker fired pistol, I consider the HK P7 to be the same only for the reason that ignition of the cartridge is a result of one single action that occurs when the trigger is pulled. Regarding a bolt action rifle...sure why not consider it single action. Unlike double action only, I don't think that a hammer is required to make a gun SAO as long as the firing mechanism requires only one action to make contact with the primer.

That's just my opinion though, I don't think there's any solid answer on this.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    In my opinion the XD's/Glocks/Kahrs are neither fish nor fowl. The true single actions have great triggers, very little to go wrong with the ignition process. True double actions have the ability to fire from an uncocked condition merely by pulling the trigger, no racking required, thus having 2nd strike capability (if that is important to you). The XD...actions require racking the slide a short distance, and the trigger moving the strikers a short distance before they will fire, thus being more complicated than single actions and lacking a true 2nd strike capability.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    In my opinion the XD's/Glocks/Kahrs are neither fish nor fowl. The true single actions have great triggers, very little to go wrong with the ignition process. True double actions have the ability to fire from an uncocked condition merely by pulling the trigger, no racking required, thus having 2nd strike capability (if that is important to you). The XD...actions require racking the slide a short distance, and the trigger moving the strikers a short distance before they will fire, thus being more complicated than single actions and lacking a true 2nd strike capability.
    XD triggers, unlike Glock, do not move the striker at all before firing. Racking the slide does all of the striker cocking action. Trigger simply releases the striker.

Springfield Armory website refers to the XD series as double action for some reason.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    XD triggers, unlike Glock, do not move the striker at all before firing. Racking the slide does all of the striker cocking action. Trigger simply releases the striker.

Springfield Armory website refers to the XD series as double action for some reason.
    Thanks for the correction on the XD. It falls into the single action category then.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Thanks for the correction on the XD. It falls into the single action category then.
    Right. Just like my single action Remington 700 bdl.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links