.45 Colt for Whitetail?

This is a discussion on .45 Colt for Whitetail? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...anyone ever take a whitetail with one. I've been looking for new ways to challenge myself. I have a .270 rifle I'm not terribly fond ...

Thread: .45 Colt for Whitetail?

.45 Colt for Whitetail?

...anyone ever take a whitetail with one. I've been looking for new ways to challenge myself.

I have a .270 rifle I'm not terribly fond of that I can trade, and the local toy store has a really nice Ruger Vaquero (which I really want anyway), I probably will get it either way.

Just wondered if anyone has ever had any expierence.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

I have shot a whitetail with a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with a 7.5" barrel. The handload I used would not be suitable for use in a Vaquero or other Colt type single action. The range was less than 35 yds and the doe went right down.

I've used 44 mag at short range from a tree stand on both whitetail and hog. I don't see any problems if you keep the range at 20 to 30 yards using a stand

.45 Colt can be loaded up hot and it's more than enough for deer.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I believe the newer versions of the Vaquero can handle the higher pressures the .45 LC can be loaded to. The older ones definitely can't. The Blackhawks definitely can.

I have loaded 360 grain WFNGC to 1000 fps out of my 5.5" Stainless Bisley Blackhawk. Fun to shoot - would definitely take a whitetail down. Probably it would take an elephant down.

Austin

A 45 Colt will work great for deer at any range where you can reliably place a shot into the vital zone--for most people 50 yards or less. Probably have to use handloads because the factory loads are meant to be safe in the older single actions. I have a Colt Anaconda and regularly shoot handloads loaded to virtually 44 Magnum-kind of velocities. I don't know about Vaqueros, but a Ruger Blackhawk should be fine. Alternative might be to get a 44 Magnum to begin with.

According to the info on Buffalo Bore Ammo site, the new Vaquero's will not handle the heavy loads, but the pre 2005 Vaquero's will. So depending on what gun you end up with, yes, you should be able to use if for a deer with the right bullet and shot placement out of a 45 Colt. The following load would quite a handful.

Heavy 45 Colt +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Heavy .45 Colt +P Ammo - 260 gr. J.H.P. (1,450 fps/M.E. 1,214 ft. lbs.) - 50 Round Box - (Big Game up to 350 lbs.)

These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are safe in all LARGE FRAME Ruger revolvers.
    (includes Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, all pre-2005 Vaquero, Bisley, Redhawk)

These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are NOT intended for the New Model Vaquero (small frame).
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't use a caliber that I had to "hot" load to do its job.

The .45 Colt in its present state is a bit light for deer. Sure it will kill a deer. Will it do it every time? Probably not. Hitting a vital zone is a must. The problem with deer hunting is that sometimes they don't present the best shot, so you need a cartridge with enough power to penetrate the vitals from any angle.

There are better calibers out there, the .44 mag being one of them. The .44 mag is a popular deer gun because it gets the job done. The hot loaded 45's are loaded up to .44 Magnum statistics.

If you are going to hunt deer use the .44. I have a stainless Vaquero .45 that is very accurate and its a great gun to shoot, but I don't take it deer hunting.

Something else to consider...

the Vaquero has the traditional sight setup with the groove down the back and the very high front sight. Most people don't realize that the front sight was made purposely high so that it could be filed down to the proper height for the correct point of impact.

That can only be done by trial and error and once its figured out, that load can only be used for the proper point of impact. Using any other load with the same sight picture will see the gun shooting either high or low. Its definitely not something you want to have to think about when hunting.

Using a hot loaded round will eventually batter the gun and prematurely wear out parts. If you want the .45 to shoot stuff, buy it. If you want to hunt deer with it, get a .44. That way you can shoot the mild stuff at paper and shoot the hard stuff at deer without any ill effects to the gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The reason a modern .45 LC is better than a .44 Magnum is because the some weight bullet going the same velocity will produce only 75% the chamber pressure because of the higher surface area. The .452 diameter compared to .429 has a huge difference in surface area on the rear of the bullet. So you can get the same results with only 30,000 psi instead of 40,000 psi. It isn't really "hot loading" at all. Now if you put a modern .45 LC load in a SAA or something, it will break the gun. But the modern guns that are designed to use the modern loads will not wear out prematurely at all.

I can load my .44 magnum to shoot a 320 grain WFNGC at 1300 fps - it isn't fun to shoot at all that way. Factory .44 magnum loads aren't even near the potential of the cartridge - depending on what gun you are shooting out of.

A .44 Special is plenty of gun for whitetail - all the bullet has to do is penetrate. I would use a flat nosed bullet with a large meplat, and get it around 1000 fps. There is lots of information and facts out there about hunting with flat nosed lead bullets using handguns.

Austin

Senior Moderator
    Most 45 Colts use a .454 bullet. The .45 ACP uses a .452 bullet.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I reload for .45 ACP and for .45 LC - for my .45 ACP 1911 I use .451 diameter bullets, and for my .45 LC I use .452 diameter bullets. Some .45 LCs will take a large diameter bullet - they may even need it for accuracy - but the stuff you get from the factory will be .452 diameter.

Austin

Be careful with hand loading hot loads in a 45 long Colt. When I first started hand loading I cracked a cylinder on a Ruger That was 30 some years ago.

I have a cousin who has taken quite a few whitetail deer with a Smith & Wesson Model 25 .45 Colt with an 8 3/8-inch barrel. He doesn't stray into specialized "hot" hand loading data but uses a reasonable charge of Unique under a 250 grain lead SWC. Says it takes 'em down effectively out to 40 yards or so.

I'd be content with a .45 Colt for short range whitetail deer harvesting. Shot placement is important for effectively taking deer. Good hits with a .45 Colt will work. Bad hits with .44 Magnum won't cut it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for all the input guys.

I do agree a Blackhawk in .44 mag would probably be a better idea.

I'm gonna probably give it go at some point or another thoughdown the line. I just saw that Vaquero and turned into a 4yr old in Toys R' Us.

Curse you all and your common sense!

...thanks guys
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Links