1911 problem - Slight hand injury

This is a discussion on 1911 problem - Slight hand injury within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently got my Springfield 1911, the WWII GI replica model. It was a gift. I have shot it at the range the past two ...

Thread: 1911 problem - Slight hand injury

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

1911 problem - Slight hand injury

I recently got my Springfield 1911, the WWII GI replica model. It was a gift.

I have shot it at the range the past two weekends. The first weekend, after about 100 rounds, I developed a blister on the web area of my shooting hand, right at the beginning joint of my thumb, top of hand.

It is from the grip safety rubbing my skin. I have never had this happen with any gun before. I first thought "hammer bite" but it is not that. This is a repetitive motion injury.

This weekend, I wrapped my hand in tape to prevent irritation to this blister, but it didn't work. After about 100 rounds it rubbed through the tape and opened the small wound again.

Anyone else experience this?

Could it be my grip too high? Maybe too tight? Problem with the grip safety itself?

I have asked this on 1911forum.com and have gotten no real answers yet.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

I bet your grip is fine, which is why you're having trouble. I haven't fired a 1911 without the beavertail, but I know they put them on there for a reason. Try just grabbing it all sloppy like people probably used to back in 1911....or get a beavertail for it?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I recently got my Springfield 1911, the WWII GI replica model. It was a gift.

I have shot it at the range the past two weekends. The first weekend, after about 100 rounds, I developed a blister on the web area of my shooting hand, right at the beginning joint of my thumb, top of hand.

It is from the grip safety rubbing my skin. I have never had this happen with any gun before. I first thought "hammer bite" but it is not that. This is a repetitive motion injury.

This weekend, I wrapped my hand in tape to prevent irritation to this blister, but it didn't work. After about 100 rounds it rubbed through the tape and opened the small wound again.

Anyone else experience this?

Could it be my grip too high? Maybe too tight? Problem with the grip safety itself?

I have asked this on 1911forum.com and have gotten no real answers yet.

Ha! No, nothing wrong with your grip!

It's like learning to play a guitar, it's gonna hurt until you get the callouses.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

Since the grip safety rubbed through the tape I would check for an edge that wasn't radiused at the factory or other rough spot that may be causing the problem. The culprit could be on the safety or a square edge on the frame where the safety fits. Even a small radius will make a world of difference. If you find a problem call Springfield and see what they say.

I've shot a few Mil-Spec models and haven't had that problem. I would do what 86thecat suggested or even take it to a smith so see if they can hone it down any.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Well, I discovered that the grip safety has very sharp edges on teh underside of the upper "tail". That is what is cutting my hand. I am now looking for a "duckbill" safety and am having no luck. I do not want a "beaver tail" safety. I don't like those.

Until I find one or make one from another safety I guess I am stuck wearing a glove
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You can remove the factory grip safety and bevel the sharp 90 degree edges. Almost all GI grip safties will chew up your hand. Callouses won't stop it either. It would be nice if the factories adressed this problem but they won't. I have deburred many of these. A beavertail grip safety is much easier on your hand, that's why they are so popular.

Break out the Dremel tool, or take it to a gunsmith, and deburr it. I own one of the Springfield "GI" pistols, but didn't have a problem like yours.

I couldn't help but notice however, that for a gun that is supposed to be a replica GI pistol, it isn't. I was issued a military 1911a1 in the service. I was the base range master and know the difference. I don't carry it much, prefering my S&W 457.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

OD*
    Yep, sounds as though you need a dehorning is all.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Yep, sounds as though you need a dehorning is all.
    Me too!!!

Links