Springfield XD .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Springfield XD .45 ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was interested in the new XD and was wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with this weapon that might be able ...

Thread: Springfield XD .45 ACP

Smile Springfield XD .45 ACP

I was interested in the new XD and was wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with this weapon that might be able to lend some advise. My thoughts are the downsides to the pistol...one thinking that the handle would be outragiously huge, and would be a pain in the ass to conceal...any thoughts or experiences wanted before I spend the 500 bucks on it.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Fast is Deadly!

2. Remove Ads

Well sir you asked the right question!!

The downside of this weapon for me is the grip is a little on the large side but not so bad that your hands are uncomfortable. It does make the mag release button kind of a stretch to push with your thumb but i got around that by learning to use my weak side hand's finger to push the button. you can get an extended mag release. I have medium-large hands and the gun feels really nice in them. the only little thing is that mag release. As far as concealment. I noticed that if you plan on using an OWB holster then your best to carry it in the 2:30-3:00 pos. because the grip does print a little bit on me at the 4-5'oclock pos. Im a large guy (6'1 300lbs) and the 3:30 pos i found works best for me. Still allows me to have flexability in my torso and legs while carrying in an Hume agent holster AND doesnt print as bad because my arm naturaly falls right over the grip. I will be looking into a IWB holster for this soon. Only for the purpose of being able to tuck my shirt in or carry while dressed up.

Hope this helps , all i can really say is that this gun is an amazing shooter! There are plenty of addons already out there from the other XD's that will transfer right over no problem.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Thanks for the response, yeah I have sm-medium hands, and as an example, the compact size Glocks fit perfect into my hand, so I was worried about that, and I know what hassle it brings being a bigger guy my-self, I carry IWB COMPTAC holster for my 23 and my love handles always push the handle out...lol, but oh well. I guess the only thing to with that issue mentioned before is to go to the gun shop and handle one to see how it feels to me.

Yeah, check one out, put it in a holster and wear it around the store, if the gun guy looks at you funny, tell him there is no way im leaving this store with a gun im not going to like to carry. I would also look into the new Kahr .45 its on the cover of this months issue of combat handguns and it got a killer review! its a medium size compac pistol with enough punch! kinda meets the criteria for your other post!

good luck! and be sure to post a picture of what you got!!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I picked up my HK USP .45 for a song and a dance from a guy that bought it for looks, he had smalish hands when he shot it he did not like it at all, my hands it fits like a glove. Ask if they will let you test it out first, how well you like a gun is not germain here, it's if it fits you well is a big part of buying.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I'm picking mine up this afternoon. Maybe one day next week we can go over to Marks and let you test drive it. See what you think after you fire it.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

sweet TJ, yeah just let me know what day. My days are listed at the office what day's I work at the F.D. so just let me know

Senior Moderator
    The handle is not just a whole lot bigger than the other XD's. Yeah its a bit longer but it wasnt really that noticable.
    When I shot it, we had several others to compare it to. Everyone that shot it had no complaints as the size of the grip and they all thought that Springfield did a good jov with the .45.

As for being hard to conceal, it is a full sized gun but it souldnt be any harder to conceal than a Sig, or a 1911 or an HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed_23
    I was interested in the new XD and was wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with this weapon that might be able to lend some advise. My thoughts are the downsides to the pistol...one thinking that the handle would be outragiously huge, and would be a pain in the ass to conceal...any thoughts or experiences wanted before I spend the 500 bucks on it.
    I've had one for... what 7 weeks now, and I'm still ecstatic about it.

The grip is really, really slender relative to its caliber and capacity. It's much sleeker than similar pistols from other product lines.

The grip is longer - put it next to an XD40 and you'll see it sticks out about another 3/8".

As for hard to conceal - well it does print somewhat more noticeably when I carry with just a T shirt for cover, but I'm used to lugging the XD40 service around and I don't find the XD45ACP Service hard to conceal any more than any other full sized pistol I've carried.

It will be too big for some people, I feel, but I think its size is perfect.

For me (and my hands are way, way large), the XD 45 feels less comfortable than the 9mm or 40- like it's been shaved too much in all the wrong places. I'm extremely sensitive to thumb/index cutout on the rear of grips, though.

They're starting to creep out more (no extra mags, though) - we've now sold three.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Do a search for it theres a lot of info been listed lately on this gun a few people Have picked one up

Links