Updated Range Report H&K USP 45 (full size)

This is a discussion on Updated Range Report H&K USP 45 (full size) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had my IDPA match today. Wish I'd thought to bring my digital camera, the stages were OUTSTANDING especially in the props and disappearing targets arena. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated Range Report H&K USP 45 (full size)

Thumbs up Updated Range Report H&K USP 45 (full size)

Had my IDPA match today. Wish I'd thought to bring my digital camera, the stages were OUTSTANDING especially in the props and disappearing targets arena.

As some of you know, I bought an H&K USP full size 45 a few months ago. I'd done a good amount of research before the purchase and the single most common comment was If I had to choose a gun to go to war with...straight from the factory box it would be the USP....

Well, I decided I would put that statement to the test. I decided to fire it as is from the box with only the factory lube provided. I further decided I would not CLEAN the pistol until I encountered my first malfunction from grunge buildup or other causes.

Well over 2,000 rounds later ..... that's TWO THOUSAND folks ... I have not had the first bobble, not the first hiccup .... nothing but solid performance. Plus, this has got to be the softest kicking and most accurate "straight-from-the-box" 45 I have ever fired.

I think I'm going to clean it, even so. I open the slide and peer inside and it makes me sick to see the grunge and filth. I feel like I'm being disrespectful to the gun. Especially one that has become my favorite carry gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear your happy with it. But I dont know if I'd try to get my carry gun to fail, it just might do so when you really need it.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

Knew ya would be happy with it if you gave it time

After getting one opportunity to see that very gun up close some time ago, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't like it very much.

Question If you don't put it to the test....how will you know it's capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by triggerjunky
    Glad to hear your happy with it. But I dont know if I'd try to get my carry gun to fail, it just might do so when you really need it.
    Wanted to see how far she'd go until malfunction. Heck, my 1911 usually can't through a single match without an application of some sort of lube. Most manufacterers recommend a reapplication of lube every 100-200 rounds fired. Except Glock, which just loves to shoot dry and dirty. Now I know the H&K is the same way....and maybe .....better.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Great result Jim - I have to wait a while yet before our IDPA starts up again.

I'll be throwing lead with the 228 this season and keep 226 just for carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex.....I have a set of Night sights for that Full size USP...........I bought em new...........about 4 months ago...........and I can't use em on my USP Compact..cuz they're for the full size USP..........just in case you're lookin for em..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    They work for a long time too. i have had mine since '93 with no parts breaking. I don't know how you can stand to have a dirty gun, but the USP's really do run great.

Wink Tritiums? Already got 'em

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Ex.....I have a set of Night sights for that Full size USP...........I bought em new...........about 4 months ago...........and I can't use em on my USP Compact..cuz they're for the full size USP..........just in case you're lookin for em..
    Mine came ummmm "loaded" LOL Had tritiums already. I also have just ordered the propietary H&K gunlight the UTL (Universal Tactical Light) Thanks, though....

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Great test and great info...BUT...don't sell that weapon to anyone that you are friends with. If the mentioned weapon has been fired "well over 2K rds." with only the factory lube(which is usually no lube,just perservitive,usually a derivative of the old Cosmoline)the weapon should be very well worn. Of course,"as is from the box" also means complete with metal shavings throughout also. Are you saying that this weapon(in this condition)is your daily CC weapon ?? Good Luck (?) ----------

Wink Thanks, but no worries mate!

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Great test and great info...BUT...don't sell that weapon to anyone that you are friends with. If the mentioned weapon has been fired "well over 2K rds." with only the factory lube(which is usually no lube,just perservitive,usually a derivative of the old Cosmoline)the weapon should be very well worn. Of course,"as is from the box" also means complete with metal shavings throughout also. Are you saying that this weapon(in this condition)is your daily CC weapon ?? Good Luck (?) ----------

The weapon came with a light coat of oil just to the degree I myself would apply were I going to follow the normal course of initial possession. I would not hesitate to sell this gun to one of my friends as I would be supremely confident it would protect that person's life as well as it would protect me and mine. My friends in the club know what I did and they were all even more confident in the weapon's capabilities. Many of them have one or more of these guns and many many of them being leo's have used them in the line of duty.
    Thanks for the advice but I'm not worried....at all.

It's getting MUCH warmer here in south Florida, so today I carried my Sig P245 all day as it is easier to conceal. I'll probably clean the H&K tonight before bed.

Sounds like a confidence booster to me.

Post some pics before you clean it!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Assistant Administrator
    Now there's a thought Jim - once slide off etc - coupla pics of the crud, so we can see it for ourselves!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've never had a problem with my USP45 -it's the easiest loading hi-cap mag in .45 I've ever had the pleasure of using as well.

The recoil isn't the lightest I've felt, but my S&W 4506 is also far, far heavier - as is the Sig 1911.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    If I had to choose a gun to go to war with...straight from the factory box it would be the USP....[/B]
    Amen! The USP should be the US military weapon if they're switching to .45s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links