Is this normal for my gun?

This is a discussion on Is this normal for my gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a S&W model 42 lemon squeezer airweight J-frame and I just noticed something I thought was a bit strange. If I push on ...

Thread: Is this normal for my gun?

I have a S&W model 42 lemon squeezer airweight J-frame and I just noticed something I thought was a bit strange. If I push on the front of my gun's crane where it attaches to the frame,it moves ever so slightly inward back into the frame. I checked and the screw that holds the crane in frame above the trigger guard and its tight,not loose at all.

The gun seems to functions fine and does everything it supposed to. but this seems odd to me and I'm not sure if its normal of if theres something wrong with my gun? I have a colt cobra that does the same exact thing,is this an alloy frame revolver thing or something?

VIP Member
    Neither my colt Detective special or my S&W 342 airlite do this.

I had no idea thay made an airweight model 40! But back to the point, the lockup of the cylinder on an alloy (or aluminum) frame will usually have a touch more flex than a steel frame. This should not affect performance of the revolver since the cylinder isn't typically under lateral pressure when firing. As long as the crane that holds the cylinder is relatively tight-fitting as you say it is, you have nothing to worry about.

Taurus makes the Raging Bull line of revolvers (not J-frame's, unfortunately) and they addressed this problem by adding a second cylinder catch/release at the front. A neat design though, arguably, slower on the reload. The cylinder on these pistols is darn near immobile.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I have a S&W model 42 lemon squeezer airweight J-frame and I just noticed something I thought was a bit strange. If I push on the front of my gun's crane where it attaches to the frame,it moves ever so slightly inward back into the frame. I checked and the screw that holds the crane in frame above the trigger guard and its tight,not loose at all.

The gun seems to functions fine and does everything it supposed to. but this seems odd to me and I'm not sure if its normal of if theres something wrong with my gun? I have a colt cobra that does the same exact thing,is this an alloy frame revolver thing or something?
    There is nothing wrong with your Model 42. All revolvers have a certain amount of flex between parts. Don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    I had no idea thay made an airweight model 40!
    Well, now you know. S&W produced the Model 42 Centennial Airweight from 1952 to 1974. It was recently re-introduced as part of the "Classics" line.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links