Single shot 45-70

This is a discussion on Single shot 45-70 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about buying a single-shot 45-70 rifle. I'd prefer one that had some "antique" styling to it, reproduction is fine so long as it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single shot 45-70

VIP Member

Single shot 45-70

I'm thinking about buying a single-shot 45-70 rifle. I'd prefer one that had some "antique" styling to it, reproduction is fine so long as it is a decent quality gun. I might hunt with it, but probably also enjoy lobbing some bullets at a long distance target.

Though it doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for, there is a H&R Buffalo Classic available locally.

Suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Check out Navy Arms or Uberti. I traded off a Remington Creedmoor rolling block .45-70 about 30 years ago and am still kicking myself. It was a copy not an antique but it still was a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, esp. at some long range targets.
    bosco

Is the Ruger #1 available in 45/70?

VIP Member
    Depends on what your looking to spend. If I could afford it I'd get one of these.

Shiloh Sharps Rifles

I have both a Shiloh sharps and a Pedersoli Sharps. Pedersoli also makes rolling blocks. The Shiloh is top quality but its expensive. The Pedersoli is just as accurate as the Shiloh but its not the same quality.

The Pedersoli is a fine looking rifle but not in the class of the Shiloh when it comes to wood and metal fit. The Shiloh is more of a custom made item. Mine took 18 months from ordering time to delivery. You can get one quicker if you go through Bill Goodman.

New Page 1

For a shooter or plain target rifle the Pedersoli is hard to beat. If you want a rifle to hand down to the grandkids id go with the Shiloh.

Also look at C. Sharps.

Michael

I just have a 16 inch Thompson Contender Carbine and it is a hoot to shoot.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Just this past week I picked up a Uberti 1885 High Wall carbine and a Uberti 1873 Trapdoor Springfied carbine. I haven't shot either of them yet but they are very well put together and I'm impressed with the workmanship and how true to the originals they are. From what I've been able to find out about them, they are supposed to be good shooters, I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Just this past week I picked up a Uberti 1885 High Wall carbine and a Uberti 1873 Trapdoor Springfied carbine. I haven't shot either of them yet but they are very well put together and I'm impressed with the workmanship and how true to the originals they are. From what I've been able to find out about them, they are supposed to be good shooters, I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.
    I love the High Walls.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I love the High Walls.
    Yeah, me too. Beautiful, well balanced rifles. I've had my eye on these two for a couple of years. They'd been sitting in the rack at the local gun shop and I'd ask to look at them every now and then but they were just way too expensive for me. Well, the owners have decided to close the shop as of June 30. I'm pretty good friends with the guy that runs it and we've been trading and wheeling and dealing for a couple of years. Well, given the circumstances, he has made me some "can't say no" deals this month and now the rifles are in my safe, along with a Uberti 1871 "Baby Rolling Block" .22, along with a couple of other more mundane but very nice guns.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Is the Ruger #1 available in 45/70?
    Yes, and cosmetically, it is quite 19th-Century, with what appears to be a Farquharson falling-block action, and an Alexander Henry-style forend. Internally, the action is more modern. The ejector can be tuned so it ejects, or not. The tang-mounted safety will be familiar to anyone who has shot double shotguns, but will interfere with plans to mount a Vernier-style rear sight. The quarter-rib provides plenty of "meat" for an old-style barrel sight.

Mike Venturino, a noted authority on buffalo guns, has written that a "Billy Dixon shot" could have been made with a barrel-mounted rear sight; no need for a tang-mounted Vernier.

I don't have time this morning to get into specifics of the above, nor hunt for links, I will try to remember to visit this thread again. I do have a Ruger No. One in .45-70, which I have yet to shoot, and another in .375 H&H, which I have shot a little bit. I am NOT any kind of expert on these subjects, but have read stuff, mostly a decade ago, and can try to point y'all in the right direction.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 31st, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo

1943 - 2009
    If you can find one, the discontinued Ruger #3 carbine in .45/70 is a handy little brush gun.

Recoil is pretty nasty with that steel buttplate, tho...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I love the High Walls.
    Me three, I've got two Ballard made High-Walls "Special Sporting Rifles" with double set triggers, helm levers and presentation grade wood. I also had one of their Low Wall rifles in .22RF built to match my silhouette rifle.

I've also got a Shiloh #1 in .45-100, but the High-Wall action is better for silhouette and the Ballards are on par as Silhoh build wise.

Ballard Traditional Rifles

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

You mention long range target shooting. For that you will be using 500-550 gr bullets more than likely. Make sure the rifle you pick has the correct twist for them. You will want a heavy rifle, both mine are over 10 lbs. I would get one with a shotgun styled buttplate for shooting comfort.

Michael

Don't overlook an original U. S. "Trapdoor" Springfield, the original .45-70, if you can find a reasonable example. These still work fine with the mild factory loads or with hand loads tailored to original ballistics, which are still potent. A cut-down, modified, "sporterized," Trapdoor isn't too expensive and can still be an attractive rifle with a "vintage" look. Complete original rifles are a bit more costly but still within reach. Original cavalry carbines are pretty pricey these days.

I've owned my Trapdoor since 1978 and it's been a sturdy, trouble-free rifle. it's seen a lot of use with factory loads, smokeless hand loads, and black powder hand loads but I've not attempted to hot-rod the 45-70 cartridge. It thumps Texas whitetail deer right down on the ground. It's capable of 100 yard, 2-inch groups from the bench rest.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some links:

www.BPCR.net - Black Powder Cartridge Rifle - a forum for black powder cartridge rifle shooting

Shiloh Sharps Rifles - Shiloh Sharps site; accessories and a forum with discussion not limited to Shiloh products

24hourcampfire.com — ".338-.375 Campfire" (Rick Bin) - an outdoors forum, with a single-shot rifle sub-forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links