Laser For Ruger Security Six

This is a discussion on Laser For Ruger Security Six within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My father asked me today if there was any way to mount a laser to his ruger security six with 6" barrel. I could not ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boatail

Thread: Laser For Ruger Security Six

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

My father asked me today if there was any way to mount a laser to his ruger security six with 6" barrel. I could not think of any but I did check Crimson Taces site and they don't make any for the security six. So knowing how ingenious some of you can be I thought I would turn to you guys and gals for ideas. So if you have an idea please share it with me.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Why in the world would you want a laser on a Single-Six?
    I could see a possible red dot, but not a laser.
    You have night 'varmits'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why in the world would you want a laser on a Single-Six?
    I could see a possible red dot, but not a laser.
    You have night 'varmits'?
    Security six not single six. It is Dads bedside gun and his old eyes aren't what they used to be.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    Security six not single six. It is Dads bedside gun and his old eyes aren't what they used to be.
    Mike
    Sorry my error, guess my eyes aren't much better...
    Makes sense as a .357 as a HD gun...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    At any distance inside my home, I don't need sights or lasers on a 6" Security Six. Out to five to seven yards, on my agency's qual course, I don't bother with sights anymore, and yes, my eyes are getting old; that is part of the reason. The other reason is that my groups are good, either way. In one training class, in which we were firing fast, my "unsighted" groups were smaller than my sighted groups.

If y'all were closer, I would let your Dad shoot my SIGHTLESS 6" Security Six, to make the point.

I bought it pre-owned, with chewed-up sights, but the rest of the exterior buffed out nicely. I pulled the sights off. The rear will probably be replaced with a Bowen Classic Arms Target or Rough Country rear sight. The front will probably be something custom, though I may stone and file the original front into something temporarily useful. Meanwhile, if it just happened to be near at hand during a kick-burglary, well..... Actually, it is inside the safe for now. But, if it was my only gun, it would still do for close range.

Back to your Dad: Old eyes can still see things in silhouette, and if my eyes are any indication, an illuminated target will allow the sights to be seen in silhouette, perhaps very sharply defined. This is why I was so angry when my command staff decided to prohibit lights on our weapons. The Surefire Weaponlight forend on my 870 was great for both illuminating a target, and giving me a sharply-defined sight picture with just the factory bead, which WAS my favored battle sight on a shotgun. There is no Weaponlight for the sixgun, but a handheld will do fine.

Consider a big-dot tritium from XS Sights. I know they don't make one for the Security Six, but any good 'smith can cut a dovetail in the meaty front part of the Ruger's barrel, and Bowen offers a V-shaped blade for his Rough Country rear sight. Actually, XS Sights are helpful folks, and may be able to give advice.

XS Sight Systems

+ B O W E N + Bowen Classic Arms - Custom Revolvers, Pistols and Guns Repair and Pistolsmithing

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    P.S.: My qual/training example was not with a sixgun, but a SIG P229.

FWIW, the front sight fell off a Colt Commander once upon a time, early in my qual course. I fired a quite good, passing score, with NO front sight, at distances out to 25 yards. I just looked over the top of the pistol.

You may find lassers that attach to the trigger Jusy my 2cnts
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    At any distance inside my home, I don't need sights or lasers on a 6" Security Six. Out to five to seven yards, on my agency's qual course, I don't bother with sights anymore, and yes, my eyes are getting old; that is part of the reason. The other reason is that my groups are good, either way. In one training class, in which we were firing fast, my "unsighted" groups were smaller than my sighted groups. [/url]
    I agree that point shooting at close range is a viable alternative. However my father is 83 years old and like many of us very set in his ways. He wants a laser to point the way. He is still a crack shotgun shooter but I can't convince him to just go with an 870 and forget the pistol. I do like the idea of Big Dot sights. Maybe I can steer him that direction.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    Sure you could do it and make a nice neat job of it too.

I would call BeamShot up on the ol' phone and ask them what would be the best way to complete your project.
    Ask to speak with one of their technical people.

It might be as simple as adding one of their barrel or trigger guard mounts to his Security Six or maybe you'll need a gunsmith to add a short section of Picatinny or Weaver to the firearm & then take it from there with one of the BeamShot combo taclights & laser or just one of their tubular lasers.

http://www.beamshot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sure you could do it and make a nice neat job of it too.

I would call BeamShot up on the ol' phone and ask them what would be the best way to complete your project.
    Ask to speak with one of their technical people.

It might be as simple as adding one of their barrel or trigger guard mounts to his Security Six or maybe you'll need a gunsmith to add a short section of Picatinny or Weaver to the firearm & then take it from there with one of the BeamShot combo taclights & laser or just one of their tubular lasers.

BEAMSHOT® Laser Sight,Green Laser Sight,Flashlight,Tactical Light,IR Laser Sight,Laser Aim,Laser Aiming Device,Laser Sighting System
    We will check them out
    Thanks Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    My father asked me today if there was any way to mount a laser to his ruger security six with 6" barrel. I could not think of any but I did check Crimson Taces site and they don't make any for the security six. So knowing how ingenious some of you can be I thought I would turn to you guys and gals for ideas. So if you have an idea please share it with me.
    Mike
    i dont know what kind of 6" security six your father has but mine has a mounting rail right down the top of the barrel which can be tapped and drilled out to accomidate a laser sight, also you could probably find someone that makes a laser grip sight for the security six hope that helps

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Better solution is to have good backlighting in the home such that any BG attempting to come into the bedroom is highly illuminated at the doorway and silhouetted so that it's easy to see the target and distinguish between that and a family member.

$.02

That was my FIRST pistol and it shot remarkably without any extras on it. If he wants laser sights, I'm sure someone makes them. Try Crimson Trace, they are a great company with many pistol,revolver options to choose from.
    GREATOZ1 likes this.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Sponsored Links