TIme to upgrade a bit.

TIme to upgrade a bit.

This is a discussion on TIme to upgrade a bit. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had this 1911 for a little bit and now looking for tid bits to add to it. THis is a project gun....nothin for ...

Thread: TIme to upgrade a bit.

TIme to upgrade a bit.

I have had this 1911 for a little bit and now looking for tid bits to add to it. THis is a project gun....nothin for any "real" usage just for funstuff.

I picked it up used for the prospect of "tweaking"....the gun is in very good shape.

OK, I already changed the spring to a Wilson combat type. Also polsihed the feed ramp....wow what a difference. Installe Hogue(sp?) grips with new screws...the old grip and screws were all "chewed" up.

Now I'm looking to do a bit more. Which to start of with? SHould I have every thing that is blued go stainless? The main is park. olive drab...intresting I thought.

Should I go after a new hammer? A trigger replacement? Sights replacement? beaver tail? Grip safety? Stainless barrel? I know little about the 1911 platform, so I come to learn.

I feel this is a good platform to build upon. I just need some direction as this is a new thing for me...I will more than likely have a smith do most of the work. Just don't know where to start.

Greatly appreciate advice on my "project gun"

VIP Member
    Having less than stellar eyesight my first up grade would be better sights; they do not have to be night sights, although that would be my personal preference, but just something easier to see.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would definitely get some combat sights and maybe a commander hammer and beavertail. If you don't like the beavertail look than I would look into having it blued or chromed. It is a nice gun however as is.

Well I went ahead and did some work...I polished chamber area and the barrel tip, here a few pics.

The racking of the slide wears a bit on the fresh polish....to be expected. I left the print black on the inside.

looking for some sights...any advice or links?

Well, been working on it most of the evening.

Polished the trigger, grip safety sides, and the hammer bed.

Idiot marks is from the previous owner

Need to touch up the hammer bed side...little over polished there.....

Next shoping for some sights.

How about a square bottom firing pin stop with a slight bevel? Should help reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip. I always thought that was an interesting mod for the 1911.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I have had this 1911 for a little bit and now looking for tid bits to add to it....
    The Question is what don't you like about it? Keep shooting it, and decide what you want to change.

I'll I'd change is; paint the rear of the front sight white, lose the rear, and new grips.

The only real reason to get a new hammer and a beavertail (Other than looks) is if you're getting trigger bite. I'd bet you are not.

Nice Pistol... Enjoy.

Like the polish job!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

if you really want sights how about having the front sight dovetailed into your slide. i have a jig and stones from brownells and have done several trigger jobs, that is a real plus. i also recommend jerry kuhnhausen 1911 books. put down the dremmel and read before you create a polished turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Well I went ahead and did some work...I polished chamber area and the barrel tip, here a few pics.

The racking of the slide wears a bit on the fresh polish....to be expected. I left the print black on the inside.

looking for some sights...any advice or links?
    Novak...three dots. Preferrably tritium. Gold Standard...IMO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Novak...three dots. Preferrably tritium. Gold Standard...IMO

Checking those out....

Links