Shipping gun to self before entering Canada

This is a discussion on Shipping gun to self before entering Canada within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I am traveling with my firearm, cross-country in my RV this summer. After I visit Maine, I am going to Canada and want ...

Thread: Shipping gun to self before entering Canada

Shipping gun to self before entering Canada

Hello all,

I am traveling with my firearm, cross-country in my RV this summer. After I visit Maine, I am going to Canada and want to ship my firearm to myself to pick back up when I re-enter the U.S. via Wisconsin. (Obviously I can't take my gun into Canada.) Can I legally do this? I don't live in Wisconsin, but it will be where I re-enter to finish my vacation before heading back home to New Mexico.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but someone here will.

Do you have your passport(s)? As of June 1, you will require one to re-enter the US.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Thank you GunnyB, this looks like an informative site!

Yes, I do have my passport, thank you for mentioning that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E Squared View Post
    Thank you GunnyB, this looks like an informative site!
    It's great here, you'll be hooked in no time.

BTW my in laws live in Las Cruces.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Yes it is legal to ship a gun to yourself, as long as you are legally allowed to posess it at your destination.

It MUST be shipped by a carrier such as UPS, and must be either next day or 2nd day delivery. Do NOT ship using the USPS. Also, make sure no one opens the package at its destination, and be sure there are no identifying marks as to what's inside the box.

Here is the citation directly from the ATF website:

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b

Here are the UPS guidelines:

Follow These Packing Requirements

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
    Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods. Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling

The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk. You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...h_phr=firearms
    Last edited by JonInNY; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional Citations
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Interesting Jon . . .so I could effectively ship my gun to a Mailbox Etc. (perhaps) in Wisconsin? Or do you have any recommendations of a place, maybe a shipping business/destination I could send it to.

Thank you for your time.

Interesting Jon . . .so I could effectively ship my gun to a Mailbox Etc. (perhaps) in Wisconsin? Or do you have any recommendations of a place, maybe a shipping business/destination I could send it to.

Thank you for your time.
    I honestly do not know about Mailbox, etc. You may wish to check out their website for regulations. My read on this is, as long as an adult signs for it, and does not open or take possesion of the package you should be ok. But please, do not take my word on this..., double check if you want to send it to a third party. Do have a family member, or friend that could accept it?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My apologies for not seeing that the first time: so the ATF states that I would have to send it to a person I know? I don't know anyone in Wisconsin, so I would have to ship it to a place like Mailbox Etc: (E squared C/O Mailbox Etc)

Thank you Jon, I will have to check out MBE's policies on that sort of thing.

You may also wish to check to see if there's a "UPS Store" near where you're going. That might work better for you.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Foggy. I want to ship my gun from a UPS in Maine to a UPS in Wisconsin. . .I called and told them the scenario-they said empahtically, "No."

Foggy. I want to ship my gun from a UPS in Maine to a UPS in Wisconsin. . .I called and told them the scenario-they said empahtically, "No."
    You should quote their own web site to them! (See my post above) They not only allow it, they provide instructions too!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    You should quote their own web site to them! (See my post above) They not only allow it, they provide instructions too!
    You cannot ship it FROM a UPS store (UPS rules).
    Have to use an actual UPS depot.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Hello all,

I am traveling with my firearm, cross-country in my RV this summer. After I visit Maine, I am going to Canada and want to ship my firearm to myself to pick back up when I re-enter the U.S. via Wisconsin. (Obviously I can't take my gun into Canada.) Can I legally do this? I don't live in Wisconsin, but it will be where I re-enter to finish my vacation before heading back home to New Mexico.
    You CAN take your gun into canada as long as it is not prohibited class. While its a very big hassle to do so it is POSSIBLE. For long guns (classified as non-restricted) you can take up to 200 round of ammunition with you. For restricted weapons (handguns with barrels over ~4in and some rifles) you need to be participating in an event or shooting at a friends range. Obtain an authorization to transport from the Chief Firearms Officer and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Links