Beretta 21 VS Taurus PT-22

This is a discussion on Beretta 21 VS Taurus PT-22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am stuck with a debate, the next handgun Im going to get is going to be a .22lr. I want a pocket pistol to ...

Thread: Beretta 21 VS Taurus PT-22

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar

Beretta 21 VS Taurus PT-22

I am stuck with a debate, the next handgun Im going to get is going to be a .22lr. I want a pocket pistol to round out my collection, so Im stuck with either a Beretta 21 or a Taurus PT-22.
    So here is my main sticking point, do I go with the Beretta 21 I little more price wise, or the Taurus PT-22.
    Anyone thats owned both please tell me which you think is the better, or what.
    Also any problems you know of either.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Same gun, with only a couple of differences:
    1) the 21A has a heel-placed mag release; the PT is "US" thumb located.
    2) The PT has a ramp front sight; the 21A is an abysmal "hump"
    3) The 21A may be carried DA or cocked-n-locked; the PT is DAO
    4) The trigger guard on the PT is integral, and makes a better fistload than the 21A.

Here's an excellent thread from TPI

Suggestions:
    1) Polish the chamber (either gun). Both are strictly blowback, and a light buff will ensure reliable ejection with a wider range of ammo.
    2) Buy & try as many different brands of ammo as you can, to know what works & what doesn't.

People have loved and hated both. I would suspect that reliability issues may generally be traced to rough/peened chambers, "off" breech faces or occasionally badly fited barrels.

I had a 21A. I now have a Taurus. I like both equally. I prefer the PT's mag catch placement and front sight, as well as the heavier trigger guard, but none of these are critical issues. In all honesty, I would buy whichever you can find, and find the cheapest

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I am stuck with a debate, the next handgun Im going to get is going to be a .22lr. I want a pocket pistol to round out my collection, so Im stuck with either a Beretta 21 or a Taurus PT-22.
    So here is my main sticking point, do I go with the Beretta 21 I little more price wise, or the Taurus PT-22.
    Anyone thats owned both please tell me which you think is the better, or what.
    Also any problems you know of either.
    I have a PT-22 and a 85 and both are broken and sitting in my safe
    to remind me not buy another Taurus
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

How exactly did the PT-22 break?

I have a PT-22 and have been happy with it.
    When I first got it, it had several fail to feed problems. When I looked at the mag. I saw that the mag lips did not line up correctly. They sat off center. ( To the right if I rember right) So I sat down and custom worked ( used a small pair of oliers to bend the lips to the right angle and the right width for the 22 round) the mag lips.
    After that I have had zero problems with mine. After all most feed problems are mag related. No matter what company, or what pistol or rifle.
    GOOD LUCK & STAY SAFE
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    I have a PT-22 and a 85 and both are broken and sitting in my safe
    to remind me not buy another Taurus
    Trigger transfer bar...?

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    How exactly did the PT-22 break?
    The slide has a U shaped piece that cradles the barrel and it slide back and forth under the barrel. Its made into the slide and
    has a small weld that broke on mine.
    I think this happened because I shot hi powered .22 round in it and thats just a weak point on the gun.
    I do not carry it anyway because I conographed a .22 being fired out of it and the short barrel causes it to lose about 30%-35% of the velocity thats stated on the ammo box.
    It seem that the .22lr is made to shoot out of a
    16 inch barrel and the powder does not burn fast enough to shoot in a short barrel and still get those numbers out of it.
    That and the fact that the .22 is a weak SD round to start with made me stop carrying it.
    You can buy those type guns in .25/.32/380 so why settle for .22 right ?
    Don,t get me wrong, I'm not downing your choice of guns , I own a few .22s to shoot just for the fun of shooting them and if thats what your buying it for , that cool!
    But you should know, that gun has a long trigger pull and is not that fun to shoot anyway.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Common problem.

I picked it up as my "OMG"- Old Man Gun (as referenced in the TPI thread), and it is less "volatile" than a Seecamp. Admittedly, the DAO is heavier than the SA with the 21A, but I've smoothed mine up considerably.

Well thanks for the info people. After doing a local seach, and finding a great deal cheaper then anywhere else. I purchased a PT-22. Unfortunatly it arrives Wed. so gonna be a few days. Thursday is range and ammo testing day. I'll post my findings in a new thread.

Best of luck with the Taurus. At the shop where I work, we currently have 5 PT-22s and -25s back at the factory for repair. I think 3 .25s and 2 .22s. Also, avoid the palstic "pearl" grips at all costs. They will crack apart.

Links