Sooo many lies, one news article

This is a discussion on Sooo many lies, one news article within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going to post this as a followup to in the thread about the LEO shot in Chesapeake, VA but I think it deserves ...

Thread: Sooo many lies, one news article

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Sooo many lies, one news article

I was going to post this as a followup to in the thread about the LEO shot in Chesapeake, VA but I think it deserves it's own venue.

I'm so peeved about the untruths published here, told by a cop and repeated by the reporter, that I'm hopping around like a cat with a caffeine IV. As soon as I calm down I am going to post a comment to the article, then a complaint to the LEOs department. I'm off to . now.

Police say I-64 shootout suspect used AK-47 assault rifle | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Police say I-64 shootout suspect used AK-47 assault rifle
    Posted to: Chesapeake Crime News

By Mike Saewitz
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © June 5, 2009

CHESAPEAKE

To understand the power of the weapon that Officer Sean Fleming was confronting, know this: Police believe two rounds went through Fleming's Jeep before piercing his bullet-resistant vest.

Police said Thursday that Christopher White wielded a semi-automatic AK-47 when he burst out of a van and fired on police officers. IIRC all AK 47s are full auto, what do you call a semi auto?

Fleming had been on his way home from work Monday afternoon and was still wearing a typical, so-called level-3 vest issued to all Chesapeake officers.

When he responded to a call of shots fired near Interstate 64 and pulled up on the scene, the gunman sprayed Fleming's car.

Top officials with the department said the gunfire from White's rifle was so potent that it most likely would have penetrated the stronger, tactical vests given to SWAT team members and narcotics officers. I'm guessing it would be a sure thing.

Fleming, who sustained four gunshot wounds, survived the attack and was recovering Thursday at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

Investigators on Thursday were still trying to figure out where the AK-47 came from. Chesapeake police Maj. T.D. Branch, who commands the investigative bureau, said officers here haven't seen many of those guns, although the semi-automatic weapon can be legally purchased.

Branch also said that a second gun - a stolen semi-automatic handgun - was found in the white van that officers chased before Monday's shoot out on an interstate highway ramp in Chesapeake.

White was killed, two other suspects were arrested, and the body of abduction victim Tione D. Vincent was discovered in the van.

Investigators speculate that White shot and killed Vincent, Branch said, although they are not yet sure. The two other suspects in the van, Willie Simmons and Dedrion Short, each face six felony counts, including first-degree murder.

Police say White could have unloaded as many as 30 rounds at the green Jeep Wrangler that Fleming was driving. Investigators said they believe some of those bullets may have gone through both the car metal and bulletproof vest, Branch said.

The gunfire also flattened two of the Jeep's tires, shattered its front headlights and left about 12 bullet holes in the vehicle's front windshield.

"He was still seated in the vehicle when he was assaulted," Branch said. "Those type of weapons, depending on what kind of rounds, typically penetrate metal. They're pretty powerful."

Chesapeake police Chief Kelvin Wright said Thursday that his department was not considering buying new vests as a result of the shooting.Because it would not matter!

Fleming managed to fire at least eight shots from his service weapon before pulling himself out of the vehicle, officials say.

Although a news release said Fleming mortally wounded White, other officers may have fired, too, Branch said. Detectives were still trying to reconstruct the shoot out Thursday.

Police say they are still trying to trace the AK-47. To get a permit for one, some people say they are buying the guns for large game hunting, Branch said.What? What? NO PERMIT REQUIRED!!!!!

Officials are thankful that White did not have a fully automatic weapon, which could have sent more bullets toward the officer's Jeep in a hurry.

"In the time it would take me to shoot 20 rounds with a semi-automatic, I could probably shoot 60 rounds with a fully automatic," Branch said.

Mike Saewitz, (757) 222-5207, mike.saewitz@pilotonline.com
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Argh....my brain....
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

You've gotta love how the news media and other "anti's" like to use the verbiage SEMI AUTOMATIC like its the most sinister EVIL thing on the planet! Heck you can do nearly just as much damage with a pump,lever, bolt gun anyway - or a bow, rock, molotov cocktail, hammer, etc.... but the way they throw out the term SEMI AUTOMATIC WEAPON just irks me everytime! Its said simply to promote shock and emotion over any logic or true journalism.

These people should be required to have licenses for their 'fully automatic mouths'...

Stay armed...never try to reason with total idiots...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    :( Flaming idiots!

Gee, because EVERYTHING you read in the paper or see on tv MUST be true.

I stand by my "flaming idiots" comment, lobbed directly at the reporter and all who believe his load of doodie.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    I don't even know where to begin....as bunny said....flaming idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Top officials with the department said the gunfire from White's rifle was so potent that it most likely would have penetrated the stronger, tactical vests given to SWAT team members and narcotics officers. I'm guessing it would be a sure thing.
    Depends on the vests. A lot of SWAT teams wear level III vests, which will protect against rifle rounds, including 7.62x39mm.

VIP Member
    Somebody else has already said it better than I could......

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Most of the issues with the article you are raising are fairly small and argumentative. It sounds like these were some really really really awful BG's. Despite their "awesome" firepower with the AK-47, the suspect was still killed by police. That is good work by the LEO's and another BG who won't be a problem any more.

VIP Member
    Maybe Chief Kelvin Wright and reporter Mike Saewitz were auditioning for the next "Dumb and Dumber" movie! If so I'd put money on the getting the parts.

+1 to what goawayfarm said

Investigators on Thursday were still trying to figure out where the AK-47 came from. Chesapeake police Maj. T.D. Branch, who commands the investigative bureau, said officers here haven't seen many of those guns, although the semi-automatic weapon can be legally purchased.

Well thats a positive to dispel the belief that "assault" weapons are used all the time by the bad guys.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Surprise surprise, after I posted a comment to the article (the first one) and a letter to the PD about violating the public trust, the offending comment about needing a permit, and needing a reason to get permit, mysteriously disappeared.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Might have been a different story but the same mindset. Since this guy had a 30 rd magazine, the reporter said that the suspect "shot multiple 30 round bursts at people".

Paramedic, I like your signature. A friend of mine is one of these Paramedics you speak of. I remember years ago, he took his CHL class within the first 2 weeks of turning 21.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

The media clearly shouldn't be talking about things they do not understand,. Guess that gives them nothing to report about,. Specially anything related to weapons,.. Idiots..

Links