Our good sheriff

This is a discussion on Our good sheriff within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We here in Tennessee just went thru a legislation on carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol. Unfortunately it was vetoed by our govenor, but ...

Thread: Our good sheriff

Our good sheriff

We here in Tennessee just went thru a legislation on carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol. Unfortunately it was vetoed by our govenor, but it will soon be passed any way and will be in effect July 14,2009 Yahoooo! This was just posted in the Chattanoogan, an online newspaper from our Sheriff in Bradley County, Cleveland TN.

Sheriff Gobble: Carry Permits And The Law
    by Sheriff Tim Gobble
    posted June 4, 2009

I have long been an advocate for the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, in accordance with our Second Amendment right. A well-armed citizenry is one of the best defenses against crime.

Our elected representatives in Nashville recently proposed legislation that would allow qualified citizens to carry firearms into state parks, restaurants and other places that serve alcohol, provided the carrier does not drink. They are to be commended for their pro-gun position, as well as for overriding the governor's veto of that gun bill.

I support self-defense rights and every law-abiding citizen deserves the option of protecting themselves, even in those places where alcohol is being served, as long as they, themselves, are not consuming alcohol.

I believe carrying a sidearm is much like operating a vehicle ~ it must be done responsibility. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol because an impaired driver becomes a danger to themselves and others on the road. This analogy holds true with gun ownership. As soon as a person is under the influence of alcohol while carrying a gun, they become a danger to themselves and others. It is not the car that is the danger and it is not the gun that is the danger, it is the impaired or irresponsible operator or carrier who is the danger.

I have a proven record of supporting gun rights, and this record was noted in American Rifleman magazine last November when I defended a homeowner who used his firearm to protect himself. I will continue to uphold and advocate that Second Amendment right for all qualified citizens.

The operative word there is "qualified." As a law enforcement professional, I am well aware that people can be dangerous who use guns inappropriately. That is why I encourage everyone who owns a gun or who is thinking of buying a gun to take gun safety classes and practice proper usage. I also encourage folks to only purchase safe, reliable, functional weapons from reputable firearms dealers, and go through the proper channels of securing permits and knowledge of the law. The BCSO offers gun safety and training courses. If you are interested in taking our gun safety course, contact Cathy Ruth at 728-7301. She will arrange for you to receive all the information you need. Although the course is free to Bradley County residents, a $5 fee is required for use of the shooting range.

It is every individual's Constitutional right to own and carry a firearm for sport or personal protection unless in certain areas prohibited by law (such as courtrooms and presidential venues) or illegal or irresponsible actions on their part preclude them from that right.

To find out more about the BCSO, visit us on-line at: Bradley County Sheriff's Office - Tim Gobble, Sheriff - BradleySheriff.com. You can also write: 2290 Blythe Ave., SE, Cleveland 37311, or email me personally: comments@bradleysheriff.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I love Bradley County. It'll be sad to see this Sheriff move on up the food chain.
    Thanks for posting tngunner! I'll be dropping him a note thanking him for not being an idiot like the mid-tn sheriffs!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Nice editorial, wish more people understood this the way he does.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Hats off to Sheriff Gobble...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    I took the time to e-mail him.

Sheriff Gobble,

Although I am not a resident of Tennessee I wanted to take the time to thank you for the article on carry permist and the law. While in my experience most "rank and file" LEO's agree with your opinion, many of the upper echelon do not. It is refreshing to see an article from someone in your position backing the rights of citizens to defend themselves. I salute you for your stand. Keep up the good work.

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    I love Bradley County. It'll be sad to see this Sheriff move on up the food chain....
    Perhaps not. I'd love to see someone with this mindset move on up to a position where they can help to set the policies, and not just enforce them. Chattanooga is 180 miles away from me unfortunately.

Maybe we can try to convince him to run against Bredesen next time around?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Perhaps not. I'd love to see someone with this mindset move on up to a position where they can help to set the policies, and not just enforce them. Chattanooga is 180 miles away from me unfortunately.

Maybe we can try to convince him to run against Bredesen next time around?
    True, but it would be a loss for Bradley. My wife was very impressed with his limited gov't stance when he spoke at a Tea Party event.

I emailed him to thank him for the editorial.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sounds like an outstanding LEO; make sure you fine folks of Tennessee support this man in all his future endeavors.
    John Luttrell

Lucky - Lucky - Lucky,.

Hope Arizona gets this through law someday VERY soon..

Wow! A 2A supporter and an advocate of limited government?

Sigh! I think I have a man-crush.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Reading is believing. Go to the website and read it for yourself.
    Sheriff Gobble is the kind on person we need to hold that office.

It is every individual’s Constitutional right to own and carry a firearm for sport or personal protection unless in certain areas prohibited by law (such as courtrooms and presidential venues) or illegal or irresponsible actions on their part preclude them from that right.
    The man has got it right.

HKR
    Spend a little time googling this sheriff and you will find many quotes from him regarding the right to carry, none of them less than 500% in support of it.

A year ago or so a Tn homeowner came home to find a burglar in his garage. The man retreived a handgun from his truck and held him until LEOs arrived.

When asked by the media whether the man had a permit or not, the sheriff said" I don't know and it doesn't matter....").

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Sounds like a great sheriff! You can be glad that you have someone of his, er, caliber!

Links