My wife shot a S&W 460

This is a discussion on My wife shot a S&W 460 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son recently bought a S&W 460. We were shooting it at our "private range" (backyard), and it was a BLAST to shoot. My wife ...

Thread: My wife shot a S&W 460

VIP Member

My wife shot a S&W 460

My son recently bought a S&W 460. We were shooting it at our "private range" (backyard), and it was a BLAST to shoot. My wife came outside to join us and watch as well. This took place last weekend, surely most of ya'll could hear this thing fire?

When she was growing up her family weren't anti-gun, but didn't really do any shooting/hunting at all. Then she married me and entered the world of guns and active shooting, etc. She is very pro-gun, and does have her permit and CCW. She will shoot with us on occasion though she isn't into it to the extent we are. I have to give her credit for at least participating with us, and she's a good sport about it. In fact she gave me a Sig 239 DAK SAS for my birthday last year. I guess I should re-phrase that and say she is a very good sport.

So after we had fired off several "expensive" rounds from the 460, my son and I agreed that "Mom" could handle this gun. I have a Model 29 with wood grips that I prefer she not shoot, though this 460 has soft rubber grips and is a heavier gun. With only a little coaxing she was williing. We set a coffee can full of water on top of a fence post and let her have a shot while I filmed it with a video. I've included a snapshot off the video, what looks like smoke is actually water mist, to the right you can see the can. Also in the snap you can see the apex of her recoil. Admittedly she tends to be a little limp-wristed; I was watching my son shoot it and his muzzle flip was only 3-4 inches in comparison to hers.

After her shot, she was grinning, her eyes were as big as saucers, and she put on some dramatic coughing spell for some reason

Surprisingly the gun's weight and recoil are pretty manageable, I didn't think about it during our brief shoot, but the next time I'm confident that it can be fired one-handed (she needs to use two though).
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

A great photo! She still looks to be in control. Big burst too.

I'd like to shoot a .460 sometime.

VIP Member
    Hmmmmm.....I'd advise you NOT to piss her off!
    Last edited by archer51; June 5th, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

VIP Member
    I would be real nice and lock the 460 up.

Post the video.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Looks like she has it under control. It sounds like you have figured out what she wants for her birthday.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Wink Yup

I LOVE MINE. I always wanted a handgun that could drop a Sasquatch in it's tracks. The pic I have of it is too big to post. Sorry.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Awesome photo, PPK...

And any woman that buys you a Sig is a keeper...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Nice! Were you using .460 or .454?

Cool range, great wife, priceless pic...look like a great day!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Nice! Were you using .460 or .454?
    We were shooting .460's
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If I ever went into grizzly country I would see a need for onea those hand cannons,biggest gun I ever shot was 44 magnum
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have determined that if I ever again take an out of state driving vacation, I'll take my EDC gun either my H&K P30 or (should I ever get it) an H&K45 AND my Smith 460. The semi's are for 2 legged predators and the Big Boy revolver for anything that threatens my wife or our dogs under other circumstances besides criminal action. The only holster I have seen that is suitable comes from Galco. I have to say that shooting the full size 460s is a way more enjoyable activity than shooting full house 44 magnums. Dunno why, it just IS.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links