Question from a non-resident purchasing a handgun in NC?

This is a discussion on Question from a non-resident purchasing a handgun in NC? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the procedure, if any, for a non-resident to purchase a handgun in North Carolina? I'm a former resident of Fayetteville, but I live ...

Thread: Question from a non-resident purchasing a handgun in NC?

Question from a non-resident purchasing a handgun in NC?

What is the procedure, if any, for a non-resident to purchase a handgun in North Carolina? I'm a former resident of Fayetteville, but I live in SC now. I'm active duty Air Force, and I have a SC CCW permit.

I do know that if you have a NC concealed permit, you don't need a purchase permit. Could this apply for a SC concealed permit that NC honors?

2. Remove Ads

NO, cannot buy in NC if you don't live in NC. Unless ofcourse there is something about being in the military that allows it, I don't know.

Unless there are military exceptions you'll have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state. Home state FFL dealer will run background check and deliver firearm to you.
    oldogy

This proceedure will prevent BGs from transporting firearms interstate..Sarcasm off.
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Unless there are military exceptions you'll have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state. Home state FFL dealer will run background check and deliver firearm to you.
    oldogy

This proceedure will prevent BGs from transporting firearms interstate..Sarcasm off.
    jca1 NO, cannot buy in NC if you don't live in NC. Unless ofcourse there is something about being in the military that allows it, I don't know.
    It is against federal law to purchase handguns in a state that you are not a resident of. The only exemption for military is if you are stationed in the state you are considered in a resident status, providing you have PCS orders showing the assignment there.

OK, thanks guys...

You can buy a gun in whatever state you are stationed in as well as the state you retain (if any) as your home of record.

I'm not totally clear from your post on what state you are from and what state you are stationed in. If you are stationed in SC you won't be able to buy a gun in NC unless you are from NC. But if you are from SC and stationed in NC and trying to buy a gun there - no problem.

You will need to take with you to the FFL a copy of your military orders (you should always keep extra copies for buying guns - your admin section can get you a copy if you don't already have one) and bring your military ID card along with your driver's license etc..

I've been a resident of Washington State the whole time I've been in the military, but during that time I have bought guns in Virginia, California, Florida and Washington.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    You can buy a gun in whatever state you are stationed in as well as the state you retain (if any) as your home of record.

Austin
    Austin,
    That is a FALSE statement. You CANNOT legally buy a handgun and take possession of that handgun in your home of record state if you do not maintain an actual physical residence there that you actually live in part of the year.

Reason is, you would NOT meet the definition of state of residence as set forth in 27 CFR 478.11:
    State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located.
    Also notice the Federal regulation also states military members' state of residence is the state they are ORDERED to - and says NOTHING about their home of record state. Just because you have an ID card from a particular state does NOT make it legal to purchase and take possession of firearms there.

Links