Match today: I shot like poo.

This is a discussion on Match today: I shot like poo. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well the title says it all. I had strung together a couple of good matches in a row. I guess it was bound to happen. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match today: I shot like poo.

VIP Member

Match today: I shot like poo.

Well the title says it all. I had strung together a couple of good matches in a row. I guess it was bound to happen. I couldn't hit anything today. It was very frustrating. I think I was just trying to go too fast and it cost me. As they say you can't miss fast enough to win.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You'll do better next time.

Sorry to hear that. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Blame the gun! 99% of my peers would. You will do better again. We all have off days. john

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Did you get a chance to videotape it, so you could watch yourself and see where you needed to make corrections? (I'd show you my 3-gun video, but then I'd die of embarrassment.) Everyone has their bad days. Better at a match than when Poo hits the fan. Next time, you'll rock. On toast!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

It happens. You'll do fine next time. Keep competing.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Practice!!

Practice!!

Practice!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Moderator
    It's a moon phase.

Some days you cant hit, other days you cant miss.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Don't feel bad. I have been shooting USPSA for three years now and still shoot like poo. Just remember two thing 1. you cant shoot fast enough to win, 2. front site. now if I just practice what I preach.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well the title says it all. I had strung together a couple of good matches in a row. I guess it was bound to happen. I couldn't hit anything today. It was very frustrating. I think I was just trying to go too fast and it cost me. As they say you can't miss fast enough to win.
    I also did a match today. I really couldn't say how I did....that will all come out on the internet next week. What I do know is that I had a blast....may end up being the best time I have all year. Thing is....you and I both participated in a match today......we got out and did it, I had fun, and even 400 rounds of 9mm downrange is of no consequence to me. You have to realize that a lot of folks.......even some here....may never get or take the opportunity. Shot like poo? It's all relative now, you see? Life has it's ups and downs just like your matches or scores. Me? I'm not going for scores, I don't aspire to be a pro, and I love my practice, and the great people I meet at these ordeals. I'd walk through a mile of poo to do it again.

Ask Miggy, I stink at IDPA. He should know, he's the RO I usually get to grade my runs. Sometimes, I get to RO him, too. He's good, Really GOOD. Anyway, as he'll confirm as well, I usually rank near the bottom in speed, but don't do terribly bad at accuracy and almost no procedurals. The first thing I ask is about procedurals because that means you violated some sort of tactical rule and that will get you killed IRL (In Real Life). I treat IDPA as street practice and less of a competition.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    The first thing I ask is about procedurals because that means you violated some sort of tactical rule and that will get you killed IRL (In Real Life). I treat IDPA as street practice and less of a competition.
    I heartily endorse treating IDPA more as practice and less as competition. However, I think just performing up to the "no procedurals" standard is the bare minimum as far as shooting IDPA more realistically.

Wink IDPA ain't "REAL."

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I heartily endorse treating IDPA more as practice and less as competition. However, I think just performing up to the "no procedurals" standard is the bare minimum as far as shooting IDPA more realistically.
    Of course not, IDPA by it's nature forbids certain practices out of a sense of range safety that I would do in a real situation as a matter of course. Like threat scanning 360 degrees. Wherever I'm looking is the direction of my muzzle. Thankfully, I have over 30 years of experience in ccw and a lot of really great training from the military. I'm not a novice.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Of course not, IDPA by it's nature forbids certain practices out of a sense of range safety that I would do in a real situation as a matter of course. Like threat scanning 360 degrees. Wherever I'm looking is the direction of my muzzle. Thankfully, I have over 30 years of experience in ccw and a lot of really great training from the military. I'm not a novice.
    I didn't say you were, but I don't want any actual novices out there to think that just because they can shoot an IDPA match without procedurals, that they're well prepared for self-defense.

VIP Member
    Well my problem is that I "hang" with some real fast guys. My shooting pals are masters or top A class. It seems when I go before them I shoot at my own level and do well. I usually beat out folks that I have no right to. On the other hand when I shoot after my pals (like yesterday) I try to compete with their times and I start to miss. I had a SMOKING fast run going yesterday (read master class fast) until I missed the last steel target. Then I got frustrated and missed it a bunch more (5 or 6 times! ) . That was then the theme for the rest of the day. Once I lost my mojo it was gone for good. Oh well...

ETA: For the record this is my first year of competing like this and I am unclassified. If I had one I would be in the high C or low B range.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links