Ruger 10/22 vs. Remington 597

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 vs. Remington 597 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ruger 10/22 vs. Remington 597 Can anybody give a comparison between these two .22 LR rifles? I have been asked for my “educated” opinion but, ...

Thread: Ruger 10/22 vs. Remington 597

Can anybody give a comparison between these two .22 LR rifles? I have been asked for my “educated” opinion but, while I have a 10/22, I have no experience or exposure to the 597. I was hoping that somebody here could enlighten me.

The interest would be in plinking and small game hunting.

Focus would be on reliability and accuracy. After market modifications and accessories are not important. The person that is considering it will be leaving it stock with just the possible addition of a scope. It would be used by both child and adult.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Ruger 10/22 ...and never look back....

there is no comparison; the 10/22 rules the .22 rifle market just as the AR-15 rules the assault rifle market and the 1911 pistols rule the handgun market......

Buy the 10/22 and, as the previous poster stated, "don't look back".....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I know I'm in a minority, but I wasn't impressed with either 10/22 I had. They were as unimpressive to me as the Mini-14 I had for a short time and was fortunate enough to get my original investment back from. I'm considering a stainless Marlin Model 60 with the graphite stock. I had the Marlin back in the 1960's and traded it for something (?) when I was 16 or 17. I personally think tube feed is more reliable than the 10/22 rotary magazine.

just my opinion.

surv

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    there is no comparison; the 10/22 rules the .22 rifle market just as the AR-15 rules the assault rifle market and the 1911 pistols rule the handgun market......

Buy the 10/22 and, as the previous poster stated, "don't look back".....

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I know I'm in a minority, but I wasn't impressed with either 10/22 I had. They were as unimpressive to me as the Mini-14 I had for a short time and was fortunate enough to get my original investment back from. I'm considering a stainless Marlin Model 60 with the graphite stock. I had the Marlin back in the 1960's and traded it for something (?) when I was 16 or 17. I personally think tube feed is more reliable than the 10/22 rotary magazine.

just my opinion.

surv
    Hate to hear of your experience with your 10/22. Mine has been exceptionally accurate and reliable with all but just a few ammo types.

Go search for aftermarket stuff for both rifles and you will see that the Ruger is the choice for most. Not saying the others are a bad choice but your modifications, if any are desired, will be very limited with any other rifle.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    To each his own. My wife had the choice to make last month and after trying about 6 different weapons to include the 10/22 and the 597 she chose the 597 and loves the way it shoots. I tried it several times and must admit I was impressed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

never owned a ruger rifle but the remingtons are hard to beat in any caliber.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Senior Moderator
    The 10-22 is definitely more customizable. Stocks, barrels,trigger units, just about everything on the Ruger can be changed to suit you.

The Remington doesn't have near the versatility in that area.

Both are good rifles. I have found that the Rugers tend to be more accurate with the custom barrels than the Rems. are, but that is to be expected really.

I wouldn't feel handicapped with either one over the other though.Right out of the box they are both capable rifles.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    My 10/22 shoots accurately and reliably. My only issue is the 8 lb feeling, gritty trigger. I have stoned it to work a bit smoother , but the 597 may be a better out of the box choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My 10/22 Tactical is my fun gun (metal spinners and plinking), but my Marlin 60 with some serious Nikon glass on it is the "man" when I get hungry for tree rat stew. My backup for the Marlin is a Winchester 190 with a Nikon ProStaff 4X on it.

The Ruger is a whole lot more fun, but in "stock" configuration the Marlin and the Winchester are real "meat gatherers."

I believe the Marlin 60 is the state of the art in a field .22 rifle. I have had one in my possession (as either a Marlin 60 or a "Glenfield" or a J.C.Higgins) since I was 14 years old (52 years ago!) It isn't a gun, it is an institution!

I will always own three guns: a Marlin 60, a Ruger MKII/III, and a Mossberg 500. Old friends, not to be foresaken after years of good service!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Links