Precautions and suggestions for private owner purchase

This is a discussion on Precautions and suggestions for private owner purchase within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never owned a firearm (I feel now is the right time), therefore i've never made a transaction with a private owner of a firearm. ...

Thread: Precautions and suggestions for private owner purchase

I've never owned a firearm (I feel now is the right time), therefore i've never made a transaction with a private owner of a firearm. I'm looking to do so now because used is cheaper than new. What precautions should i take when doing so? Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a pistol, .357, .380, or 9mm. Do any of you have one you want to part with? I'm in the $400 range.

Thank you.

few quick questions.

Have you ever shot a handgun? have you ever even handled a firearm of any kind? Do you have any friends who own fire arms that could take you shooting? have you taken any kind of gun safety course? what mode of carry do you plan on? do you plan on CC or OC?

These are all helpful in you finding the right gun for you. For $400 you have alot of options even for new guns. I recommend stopping by a local gun shop to at least get a feel for the guns. If it doesn't fit your hand it doesn't matter how good a deal you got on the gun.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

add a little bit more to that $400 and get a Ruger SP101 .357, will last you a lifetime and then some.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Go to a range that rents guns, and at least try several styles and calibers. You don't want to spend your money on say, a .357 magnum then find that you can't handle the recoil. Granted you could use 38 special, but you get the idea. Try both revolvers and pistols. Or, if you have a friend with guns, ask him to take you to the range and try out the guns-same idea, get a feel for calibers.

New Member Array bladerunner747's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Go to a range that rents guns, and at least try several styles and calibers. You don't want to spend your money on say, a .357 magnum then find that you can't handle the recoil. Granted you could use 38 special, but you get the idea. Try both revolvers and pistols. Or, if you have a friend with guns, ask him to take you to the range and try out the guns-same idea, get a feel for calibers.
    Sound advice. "test drive before you buy"

Welcome to DC.

I see you're in CA, be sure to follow whatever laws apply to private purchase there. I'm not familiar with your laws, but I'm sure if there is anyplace that has unusual restrictions on private handgun purchase, it would be California.

Let us know how it goes.

According to OpenCarry.org, private transfers of firearms are banned in California. You may want to check in on the laws to make sure you are in compliance.

Links