Gun Show check your guns?

This is a discussion on Gun Show check your guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was walking into the local gun show in Albuquerque and the guy at the door asked if I had any guns to check? I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Show check your guns?

I was walking into the local gun show in Albuquerque and the guy at the door asked if I had any guns to check?

I was a little taken back so I asked what he meant........

"Do you have any guns on you.............they need to be checked."

Still taken back I replied "Yes I have a gun on me..............I did not have to check it last time".

Anyhows I had to go the parking lot, unload, and let them ziptie my gun at the door.

On my way out I asked him to cut the ziptie off and found a shady corner and reloaded.

I think if I would have not been suprized, I would have said "No I checked my gun this morning"................and just walked in.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Tons of threads here about having to have to check your gun before entering a gun show. Some legal requirements, some policy of either the hall or sponsors. Check your local gun laws.

I know of several members who will not attend shows because they do have to disarm. Kind of a personal choice.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It's been the policy now for several years whether the gun is for carry or display
    to zip tie the action. Only law enforcement in uniform are allowed to bring in loaded firearms.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Is it federal law?

Something to add to the list of things I have learned at DC. It's why I love this site.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

There is a gun shop here in town that has a sign up that says something like"all guns must be unloaded slide back.....blah blah".......I always ignore that one thinking what they don't know won't hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Is it federal law?
    I doubt it. All it takes is for 1 person to walk in with a loaded firearm and accidentally touch one off. It has happened. I believe it is a good idea.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    The good guys abide by the law...the criminals don't and that's why restrictive gun laws don't work....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

First gun show I went to after getting my permit, I saw a similar sign. I asked a friend, "Does that apply to concealed carry?" He replied, "Let your conscience be your guide."

This was in Utah were no-carry signs carry no legal weight, so . . .

Here in Orlando they have State Troopers at the door asking if you have any guns or ammo on you.What you going to say no? so i just leave it in the car in a handgun box.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoDriver View Post
    Here in Orlando they have State Troopers at the door asking if you have any guns or ammo on you.What you going to say no? so i just leave it in the car in a handgun box.
    I don't drive a car.

I wasn't referring to concealed carry. What I'm talking about is some numbnuts bringing a rifle/handgun that still has a round in it to sell. He hands it to a potential buyer, the buyer looks down the sight and pulls the trigger. That is all it takes.

Now, put yourself in the place of the show manager or law enforcement.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I had the same experience, I turned around I went right back to the ticket sales and got my money back.
    There NRA was setting right there trying to sign up new members, I went over there and told them that they should do something about this and if I was them I would not be setting here.

With that said, I do not think you should be allowed to unholster your carry weapon in there, you should follow the same rules as in public and all other firearms should be checked.

There is a difference between 'all guns must be unloaded and checked', and 'no concealed weapons allowed'. I can carry concealed into most gun shows I've been to in my state/area. If I am bringing a gun to sell or trade, it gets checked like they all do. When asked 'do you have any guns to be checked?' That does not include what I am carrying for personal protection. My simple answer would be no, and I wouldn't be lying. If asked if I have any weapons on my person, I would ask them to produce a search warrant, or I would remain silent. They'll either take my admission fee, or they won't. Any person other than a law enforcement officer asks me to disarm when I have a permit to carry would be violating my rights. That's why I figure they don't do pat-downs or use metal detectors at the gun shows around here. If the building or property is off limits by state or local laws, then it's rather simple to figure out you can't carry there, and we should all be abiding by the laws that we live by even if they seem to be not in our favor. This is just my opinion, and I condone nothing. Each of us must stand within our own morals and know there's no gray area between right and wrong.

This happened to me for the first time last year at our local gun show "harrison" (so we didnt go this year, screw them) but what was funny was the biggest show we have in MI "Birch Run" they did'nt make us "check in"

Added note: I agree with "ram rod"....Do you have any guns to be checked?...Does'nt include my CC "dont ask dont tell"
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links