Appalling Newspaper Knowledge of Firearms

This is a discussion on Appalling Newspaper Knowledge of Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The following quote appeared on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website June 8, 2009. "Law enforcement officers have seized 45-caliber revolvers with extended clips that hold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appalling Newspaper Knowledge of Firearms

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Appalling Newspaper Knowledge of Firearms

The following quote appeared on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website June 8, 2009. "Law enforcement officers have seized 45-caliber revolvers with extended clips that hold 25 rounds and AR-15s, the weapon that can fire 30 rounds." It makes you wonder where the newspapers get their reporters and editors.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    The following quote appeared on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website June 8, 2009. "Law enforcement officers have seized 45-caliber revolvers with extended clips that hold 25 rounds and AR-15s, the weapon that can fire 30 rounds." It makes you wonder where the newspapers get their reporters and editors.
    They're getting them from the same places some of us are sending our children to daily to be brainwashed.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    It must be nice to get paid what they make and still be able to be totally incompetent. As we used to say: "They're dumber than a box of rocks!"

VIP Member
    It is RARE to find a news article that has ANYTHING to do with firearms to be accurate.......Now just apply that lack of accuracy to ALL the other articles you read.....That implies that 99% of what you read has the same type of inaccuracies or JUST PLAIN LIES in them!

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

goawayfarm said it, we can't believe anything the media reports. Like the saying goes ignorance is our most expensive comodity.

Any chance on getting a link to that article?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    goawayfarm, that's a great quote!

Reporters tend to:
    (A) be incompetant
    (B) be lazy (where's the research?!?)
    (C) have an agenda
    (D) all of the above

I used to hold the print reporters in higher esteem than their A/V counterparts because they could only use words (and maybe one picture) to get the story out. Print media also worked on a different, generally slower schedule which allowed more time for fact checking. But now I watch the goobers on TV if only because when they say someone used an assault rifle and show a video of an old lever-action I can figure out the truth. I have no idea if the person behind the typewriter knows a semiautomatic from a hole in the ground.

They might be purveyors of the truth , and the truth might set you free, but you sure have to dig for it.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I went to the St. Louis P-D site to get the link and the article has been removed. However, it was so bad I down loaded a printed copy when I first read it. I will FAX it to anyone who sends me a FAX number. Or, with the help of some nearby teenager I may figure out how to scan and email a copy.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I want a .45 revolver with an extended "clip"! Anybody know where they sell them?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I've seen AR's that can fire 2000 rounds...not all at once, but they can fire that many.
    Idiots...all of them 'anti' reporters.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was watching a tv show the other night & it showed a police officer racking a revolver like an automatic slide and it also had the sound effect of racking a auto pistol. I almost fell out of the chair.

Well, you guys all have to understand that they had to dumb down the papers so all the uneducated sheeple could understand what they were reading.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Sad to say this is kind of the norm with 40 down to my generation (I'm 25) with an exponential increase as you get younger. I wouldn't consider myself the best informed person in the world but sadly I know a lot more than an average person (this is not bragging about my knowledge but rather lamenting the lack of theirs). I have a co-worker that is willfully ignorant of anything and everything that does not directly affect him. I try to make small talk about news or economics or politics and he just shuts down. When I ask why he isn't interested in any of this he says "I'm sure the people who need to worry about that are thinking about it for me." This is a very scary statement to me. The problem I think starts with schools. As I was growing up I noticed that schools never require you to think but instead encourage you to regurgitate what a teacher tells you. This trend continues though college although they at least try to act like they encourage open debate there. I was lucky enough to have parents who encouraged thought and to question what I read not just accept it as fact. It amazing how many facts I see bandied about that when thought is applied the deception is obvious. My current favorite is the csx commercial that claims like 400 miles per ton per gallon of diesel. It doesn't take long to figure out this is a train that is loaded to the absolute most it can carry and actually gets some number of miles significantly less per gallon if you don't divide by all those tons. I would venture to guess trains are not loaded to capicity all the time.

Anyway sorry for the long rant I just get frustrated with blind acceptance of "facts"

The following quote appeared on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website...
    I'm not surprised this came out of St. Louis. St. Louis and Kansas City are largely anti-gun. When the concealed carry issue went before the voters, almost the entire state voted for it except KC and St. Louis.

The Post-Dispatch has gone through a couple rounds of layoffs and cost-cuttings recently. I won't be surprised if they stop selling newspapers someday.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I'm not surprised this came out of St. Louis. St. Louis and Kansas City are largely anti-gun. When the concealed carry issue went before the voters, almost the entire state voted for it except KC and St. Louis.

The Post-Dispatch has gone through a couple rounds of layoffs and cost-cuttings recently. I won't be surprised if they stop selling newspapers someday.

Good news, I would be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that ALL NEWS PRINT will be history in 3 to 5 years. Three of the nations major newspapers are all ready in deep financial trouble and have filed Chapter 11. Many other smaller papers have all ready folded and have gone to "internet news" only.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links