Hot cars and guns

This is a discussion on Hot cars and guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking today as I got in my car after work, is it bad to leave guns in the car all day when it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot cars and guns

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Hot cars and guns

I was thinking today as I got in my car after work, is it bad to leave guns in the car all day when it heats up so much?

2. Remove Ads

Other than burning your hand taking it out of the glove box or burning your side reholstering...I doubt it. There will be somebody who tells you different though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I think it was on Mythbusters (correct me if I'm wrong) that showed that leaving bullets or loaded guns in a car isn't dangerous aside from if the get broken into since the car doesn't get hot enough to set off the power. IIRC it's something like 400 degrees before the powder will ignite without the primer being hit.

Quote Originally Posted by xikle View Post
    I think it was on Mythbusters (correct me if I'm wrong) that showed that leaving bullets or loaded guns in a car isn't dangerous aside from if the get broken into since the car doesn't get hot enough to set off the power. IIRC it's something like 400 degrees before the powder will ignite without the primer being hit.
    Can't generate enough heat to set the rounds off but:

I handload. Rounds I've loaded and tested in the winter at 30 or 40 degrees will fly out the end of the barrel 20 to 30 fps faster in the summer when its 90 degrees.

Big deal? - probably not unless one is loading to +P specs on the high end but then anything is possible.

In other words I wouldn't lose any sleep over leaving factory loaded rounds in the car during the summer but might give a passing thought to leaving handloaded rounds in there. Wouldn't be much of a thought but still would be something to consider.

Not something to be concerned about. There was indeed a mythbusters episode. You can watch it at YouTube - Mythbusters - Bullets exploding inside an oven.

They had to turn it up fairly high for it to go off. I wouldn't be worried about your car getting anywhere near hot enough.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I just don't like the thought of burning my hand is all. I don't leave it in the sun, either. (Like in an outdoor class...I just prefer to keep it holstered, rather than out on the table with everyone else's.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

People leave them in car's out here in Arizona all the time.. On a hot day it can be 160 in the car when you get back to it if left in the sun,,. Never heard of anything ever happening to a weapon from the sun,.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I handload. Rounds I've loaded and tested in the winter at 30 or 40 degrees will fly out the end of the barrel 20 to 30 fps faster in the summer when its 90 degrees.
    I wish I could add more to this in terms of specific powders, but I do know that it depends upon the powder you're using. Some are more sensitive to temp than others.
    Lifetime NRA member.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Considering because I just moved I left a box of .22 in my car the last week, in 95 degree temps outside and nothings happened yet I dont think anything will.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    No problem with ammo due to the heat. Only thing you might want to consider is the type of lube you use on your gun. Extreme heat can cause oil based lubes to run and make a mess. Might want to consider a dry lube of some type if your going to be leaving it in the heat for extended periods.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Mythbusters FTW yet again. Good advice on the lubricant, archer51.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

In my younger days I worked for the railroad and if you think ammo has it bad in your car think about it sitting for days in a closed freight car or in a storage terminal with a metal roof.

Ammo powder and other munitions are shipped worldwide in cargotainers that must reach temperatures well in excess of a car interior. How about an ammo or fuel dump in the desert.

bosco

VIP Member
    I don't know about plastic guns, don't have any but, my 1911s and Sigs will dry out and need additional lube if left in my closed truck daily. (as I discovered in a previous job where I couldn't bring my weapon)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would have concerns about leaving my sidearm in the car all day, but heat is not one of them. I'd be more worried about security.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would have concerns about leaving my sidearm in the car all day, but heat is not one of them. I'd be more worried about security.
    I conceal my P3AT in the building. I leave my 1911 in my car which I can see right outside the dock doors in the warehouse. I'm not concerned about it, as I can see my car all day, or turn around and see it...

Not to mention the obnoxiously loud hair trigger alarm... my 1911 is fine in the car. Once they get in the car (which won't start if the alarm is going off... kill switch) then they have to find the lockbox, and once they do, hey have to unlock it... meh you get the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links