Need help understanding this oddity

This is a discussion on Need help understanding this oddity within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I took off a half day today to meet up with some friends at the Bullet Trap in Plano. As I was showing a ...

Thread: Need help understanding this oddity

Well, I took off a half day today to meet up with some friends at the Bullet Trap in Plano.

As I was showing a friend what a gun is, etc etc, to get her familiar with them I showed her some stances and how to hold the pistol and fire it, etc.

I then took a turn at a few full mags (Sigma .40) and just for kicks I thought I would try to shoot leftie. I shot leftie in the weaver and then single handed with an open stance, handgun held straight out from the side.

How in the World did I shoot better with my left hand than my right, especially having never worked my left before?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

No ingrained bad habits to overcome? I don't know. I've done the same thing.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    One of my sons is cross eye dominant. As I recall from 18 years ago the doctor said it means either eye can dominate, depending on the activity. He swings from the left side in baseball and golf. He throws and kicks from the right side. It is not a handicap in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    No ingrained bad habits to overcome? I don't know. I've done the same thing.
    +1 Any time you do something you have never done before, you will focus on the basics better.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

It was pretty cool, and it also impressed my TKD instructor in the lane next to me
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

I'm right handed and I always practice left hand shooting when I go to the range, you never know when you will need to use your weak hand. I pocket carry a P 64 in my left pocket while also carrying my primary pistol a PA 63 or a CZ 82 strapped to my right hip, but then I do use a cane in my right hand because of a disability.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Welcome to the dark side...

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    I'm right handed and I always practice left hand shooting when I go to the range, you never know when you will need to use your weak hand. I pocket carry a P 64 in my left pocket while also carrying my primary pistol a PA 63 or a CZ 82 strapped to my right hip, but then I do use a cane in my right hand because of a disability.
    Two things, 1. I was telling everyone that was the reason I wanted to test it out and see how I would do in that situation. and 2. you are only the 2nd person I know from Alvin, TX (not counting Nolan Ryan).

-Paco

Sounds to me like good basic, disciplined shooting skills. Sight alignment and trigger control is the same, right or left handed. You can cover me any time.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Sponsored Links