Owwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Owwwwwwww!!!!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rifle blows up in a guys face!! LiveLeak.com - Gun blows up in face Don't know where or when this happened....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

VIP Member

Exclamation Owwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Rifle blows up in a guys face!!

LiveLeak.com - Gun blows up in face

Don't know where or when this happened.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

Wow, one very lucky hunter.
    Wonder if he had an obstruction in the barrel?
    If he didn't get any game that season he can always mount the rifle on the wall.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    It was definitely an obstruction of the barrel by the way it peeled back. Just guessing, but my guess would be, that at some point he put the barrel on the ground and didn't realize he clogged it full of dirt/mud. Never ever put a gun muzzle down on the ground. If you do be sure you clear the weapon and check for obstructions before firing it again.

Didn't the MythBusters prove that can't happen? I'm thinking if that was really the cause of this peeling back there would have been more damage to the shooter.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Whoa!

If they did the mythbusters were wrong. We had this happen at a local range when a guy was boresighting in this hunting rifle. He forgot to take the laser out of the barrel and it did exactly what was shown in that footage. If I can find the picture again I will post it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

VIP Member
    Holy crap, lucky he didn't get seriously hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    If they did the mythbusters were wrong. We had this happen at a local range when a guy was boresighting in this hunting rifle. He forgot to take the laser out of the barrel and it did exactly what was shown in that footage. If I can find the picture again I will post it.
    I think I saw this in a e-mail or something. Guy got busted up a little right?

can you say "barrel obstruction"?

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Didn't the MythBusters prove that can't happen? I'm thinking if that was really the cause of this peeling back there would have been more damage to the shooter.
    Yeah kinda they did the whole plugging the gun barrel with your finger myth. Barrel didn't become damaged just the finger was gone. I don't think they jammed the finger in to the barrel tight enough though.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    Yeah kinda they did the whole plugging the gun barrel with your finger myth. Barrel didn't become damaged just the finger was gone. I don't think they jammed the finger in to the barrel tight enough though.
    Good point. I wouldn't want to find out either way myself, it only takes seconds to check the barrel but weeks to heal.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Lucky guy, only the gun seem to have been damaged...could have been his skull.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

I think the Mythbusters were using something to simulate a finger. Something harder or packed in tighter would cause this to happen. Soft tissue like that of the human finger, would not cause the bullet to start expansion fast enough to cause the barrel to split or explode, but dirt packed in or a solid object, most definitely would.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    We had this happen at a local range when a guy was boresighting in this hunting rifle. He forgot to take the laser out of the barrel and it did exactly what was shown in that footage.
    Does it look like this?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I wonder if it was an in-the-end-of-the-barrel bore sighter left in?
    My range recently banned bore sighters due to a few occurances of this kind of event. I argued that my bore sighter was the type that chambered and this couldn't happen. They were adamant, NO boresighters.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links