These are sad times...

This is a discussion on These are sad times... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As for Wal-Mart being posted... I couldn't care any less. Concealed means concealed. Now, the DL thing. It is my understanding that UPS stores, etc. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: These are sad times...

As for Wal-Mart being posted... I couldn't care any less. Concealed means concealed.

Now, the DL thing. It is my understanding that UPS stores, etc. that allow you to rent a PO Box type thing will allow you to say Apt # instead of Box #. That might solve your problem.

Wal-mart can have whatever policies they want. I was mostly shocked that I had to get a government background check to by a .22.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

In NC if you have a CHP you do show that in lieu of the background check. Didn't even have to get one to buy an AR-15.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    The reason I ask is that I've been considering getting a P.O. box myself for my mail security. There have been cases too often where BG's have broken into apartment complex mail boxes and stealing all the mail enclosed at the time.
    Agreed - this makes sense to many. That does not mean you are required to use your PO Box address on your license - just use your physical address on the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Now I'm rethinking changing the address on my driver's license. It could put me in a bad position for buying future guns.

I'll have to give this some more thought!
    Use physical address for DL, PO Box for all others.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    I'm interested in getting into rifle shooting, with the ultimate goal of accurately shooting a .308 or 30.06 out to distance. Since the .22 is a great place to start (ammo and rifles are cheap, etc.) I headed out to Wal-mart to purchase a new bolt-action .22.

I was expecting to just swipe my card and leave with my rifle. Not so much. In order to purchase said .22 the store actually had to call in a background check! I also had to fill out the full ATF [Edited] paperwork. For a .22. A .22. It was ludicrous.

So, we go through the 45 min ordeal, get all set so I go to grab the box and get ready to leave. Oh no. Apparently a manager has to walk the box with the unloaded rifle to your car.

I walked into Wal-Mart legally carrying a loaded pistol, but couldn't walk out of it with an unloaded .22 still in the box.

Really? I mean, really?

Mel
    Sounds like a transaction in any sporting goods store around here.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

1943 - 2009
    I was mostly shocked that I had to get a government background check to by a .22.
    Agentmel, why are you shocked? It's a firearm, caliber is irrelevant. Federal law requires that the buyer pass the NCIS check before taking possession of a firearm purchased from a licensed dealer. It's been that way since 1993.

What's so hard to understand about this?

I don't get it...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    JonInNY.
    It's this way in Gander Mountain here in NY too! I can walk in with my CCW, no problems, but if I purchase a long gun, they will do the same paperwork, and walk you out and not give you the gun until you leave the premises.

Jon. I picked up a Mossberg 500 JIC and ammo for it at the Gander in Middletown NY. He handed it to Me at the counter and I was on My way. I thought I was going to get walked out.

In Cabela's in East Hartford CT They walked Me out with a pistol I picked up. I kept the other pistol warm IWB.

I still haven't read which Walmart in Florida is posted???
    Tony

That's how it's been for a while...

I've always thought they walked you out as a anti-theft measure.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

This is hearsay, but a guy that used to be sporting goods manager at the local WM told me that some dude bought a shotgun and some ammo, then walked a few aisles over from the register, loaded it, and blew his brains out. He told me this about 10 years ago. I remeber how long ago it was, because it was just after my wife and I got married and she was buying me a shotgun for Christmas from WM.

Supposedly, after that is when Wm started the "walk you out" policy. That's what I was told, but I can't personally vouch for the veracity of this story.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

In Tx A CHL license holder doesn't have to go thru the background check they just write your license number on the ATF form
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I did not know you needed a back ground check for a .22 LR or 30.06 bolt action rifle. In general (not sure about AR-15, etc) I though rifles did not need a back ground check.
    If you purchased any rifle or handgun or shotgun from any dealer whatsoever without filling out a Form 4473 background check then the purchase you made was an illegal purchase and the shop could be shut down for doing it. Only face to face purchases from individual sellers/owners are not required to run a Form 4473.

This is the reason the government wants to stop the "gun show loophole" so that all weapons purchases, no matter if private or retail, fill out a background check at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx A CHL license holder doesn't have to go thru the background check they just write your license number on the ATF form
    I think that is BS. The Form 4473 is a national requirement. If you have a CHL you may skip the wait period if any is required.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I think that is BS. The Form 4473 is a national requirement. If you have a CHL you may skip the wait period if any is required.
    It's the same in Idaho. I had my CC permit, went and purchased a pistol, No check. Just wrote my CC number and off I went.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    No, that is not BS.

My Montana CWP exempts me from the NICS check when I buy a gun from a licensed dealer. The dealer just notes my CWP and DL numbers on the 4473, no phone call necessary.

And we don't have a waiting period. Pay and walk out the door with your new toy.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

They have my money in the register and I don't have my items in my hand? I don't think so.

Lets see them try to do that with my orange juice and chocolate bite size donuts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links