These are sad times... - Page 3

These are sad times...

This is a discussion on These are sad times... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rathos When I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse we always walked the guns to the counter. It was a great way to show ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: These are sad times...

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    When I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse we always walked the guns to the counter. It was a great way to show them other items they "needed" to buy with their gun.
    Dick's Sporting Goods, and Pro Bass is the same way.........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    I walked into Wal-Mart legally carrying a loaded pistol, but couldn't walk out of it with an unloaded .22 still in the box.

Really? I mean, really?
    Yup, really. It's pretty sad, isn't it?!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

The manager didn't want you to scare any sheep. This is the first I've heard of this policy. I don't usually buy guns in Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Has this always been the case if you have a P.O. box on your driver's license. What if you have a P.O. box as a precaution for the safe delivery of your mail. This doesn't make sense to me but I suppose Wally World has their odd policies. But that's their loss if you don't shop in their stores.

The reason I ask is that I've been considering getting a P.O. box myself for my mail security. There have been cases too often where BG's have broken into apartment complex mail boxes and stealing all the mail enclosed at the time. Now I'm rethinking changing the address on my driver's license. It could put me in a bad position for buying future guns.

I'll have to give this some more thought!
    It has happened to me twice as well. The last time my permit came the day before it was broken into and that was on a Friday. Most of the time I don't grab the mail again until Monday and my permit would have been stolen and I wouldn't have known!

The very first shotgun I ever bought (Winchester 1300) was in 1996 at a local walmart. At the time I worked for a sheriffs department that was in the neighboring county and we had to provide our own weapons.

Well, long story short after getting off of third shift on payday, I went straight to walmart, in uniform, with a full gun belt on (ASP, Ruger P95, extra magazines, mini mag, handcuffs, etc..) to make my last payment on it and pick it up. I can't remember if I had to do another check or not (kinda fuzzy there, but I want to say they did) but I distinctly remember that the manager had to walk me out and couldn't hand me the box until we were outside. So definitely don't feel too insulted that they walked you out, it's been their policy for years.

I never said it was a smart policy, but it's their policy still.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I suspect this is a "lawyer inspired" rule. It gives them a defense from negligence charges if someone buys a gun and ammunition then shoots everything up.

If the person is out of the store and loads up then returns they might be on more solid ground than if they can load up right at the counter.

A number of years ago I worked in a place that didn't allow employees to have guns in their cars. I asked the head of security why they had a rule they had no way of enforcing, ie. how would they know if someone had a gun in their car or not?

His reply... The legal department felt it gave them a legal defense if someone were to bring a gun in and shoot up the place. They could claim they had rules preventing guns. I know... DUMB!

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    I'm interested in getting into rifle shooting, with the ultimate goal of accurately shooting a .308 or 30.06 out to distance. Since the .22 is a great place to start (ammo and rifles are cheap, etc.) I headed out to Wal-mart to purchase a new bolt-action .22.

I was expecting to just swipe my card and leave with my rifle. Not so much. In order to purchase said .22 the store actually had to call in a background check! I also had to fill out the full ATF [Edited] paperwork. For a .22. A .22. It was ludicrous.

So, we go through the 45 min ordeal, get all set so I go to grab the box and get ready to leave. Oh no. Apparently a manager has to walk the box with the unloaded rifle to your car.

I walked into Wal-Mart legally carrying a loaded pistol, but couldn't walk out of it with an unloaded .22 still in the box.

Really? I mean, really?

Mel

Kind of ironic isnt it. Id say it has more to do with covering there a$$ than anything else.

VIP Member
    I believe it's called "The Terminator Clause."

Pawn Shop Clerk: You know your weapons, buddy. Any one of these is ideal for home defense. So uh, which will it be?
    The Terminator: [Pointing the 12-gage shotgun towards the door] All.
    Pawn Shop Clerk: I may close early today. There's a 15-day wait on the hand guns but the rifles you can take right now.
    [Takes out forms]
    Pawn Shop Clerk: ...and you have to fill these out too.
    [Sees the terminator load his 12-gage shotgun]
    Pawn Shop Clerk: You can't do that.
    The Terminator: Wrong.
    [Shoots the clerk]

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I bought my first shotgun at a Sears in Brooklyn NY back in 1963. After paying at the sporting goods register I carried it through the store (in its box) and did some more shopping. Maybe the name Ted Williams in big bright red letters on the box had something to do with it. LOL
    YES indeed the times have certainly changed.

bosco

Sad times indeed, when a cup of fast-food coffee has to bear a warning label (Warning! Contents are HOT!), and the FDA has declared that "Cheerios" is actually a drug ... Sad times when plain old common sense is now, unfortunately, so rare and uncommon...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    45 minutes! That's nothing, in California, that transaction takes 10 days and 45 minutes. Also, our Wallymarts don't even sell real weapons, just bb guns and airsoft. Count your blessings.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links