Dang it! Now I'm in trouble!!

This is a discussion on Dang it! Now I'm in trouble!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The other day at the range I got a chance to shoot my first 1911. My TKD Instructor has a Kimber Desert Warrior and he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it! Now I'm in trouble!!

Dang it! Now I'm in trouble!!

The other day at the range I got a chance to shoot my first 1911. My TKD Instructor has a Kimber Desert Warrior and he offfered her up for me to play with.

I have never fired a .45 or a 1911. So I load her up, send the silhouette target down range. When I extend my arms to start firing I notice he has already plugged the chest and head pretty good, so I pick the next largest untouched area.

Again, I have never fired a 1911 or a .45 before.

Well, let's just say this target won't be procreating ever!

Now the bad part, I friggin want a 1911 now. That was some nice smooth shooting. I was amazed at how accurate I was mag after mag as heavy as this gun was, I never seemed to get tired. Maybe it was just the joy I got from hurting the outline of a paper bad guy.

Now I really feel dumb for letting a Springfield Armory 1911 for $350 slip through my fingers a few months back
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, you just found what a properly balanced and designed pistol can do for you. LOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

WHOA!

Never fired a .45 or 1911?!? WOW! There's a reason why many "high-speed, low-drag" operators (LAPD SWAT, USMC Recon, etc., etc.) still insist the 1911 is their preferred handgun. Same goes for most record-holding Practical Pistol Champions. In a world where anything over two years old is viewed as obsolete, anytime there's a 100 year-old design that top pros (military, LE & civilian) bet their lives & their income on... we need to pay close attention. Congratulations on your personal awakening. Enjoy your new "antique"!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

I love my Glock
    I love my Glock
    I love my Glock
    I love my Glock
    I love my Glock
    I love my Glock

JK. 1911s are great guns. Seems like you got the bug. Good luck.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well Paco I'll tell Gunmaster's you will be dropping by sometime this week.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, you just found what a properly balanced and designed pistol can do for you. LOL.
    No kidding, it was much heavier since it only had 8 rounds as opposed to my 14, but I could tell how well balanced it was compared to my Sigma, which is easily twice the weight in the rear than the front.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Never fired a .45 or 1911?!? WOW!
    Yeah, 90% of my shooting has always been with a rifle. I currently own my first handgun but now I am looking to move up to a 1911 I can customize and call my own.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Seems like you got the bug.
    I just have to find a way to explain it to the Wife, who can't shoot to see for herself until after the baby is born. She asked me what the difference was and I started to explain it, until I saw her eyes glaze over as if I were explaining the design of a highly available clustered mail server.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Well Paco I'll tell Gunmaster's you will be dropping by sometime this week.........
    I just might be browsing around for sure.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Welcome to the club ...I went from Glock to Sig to XD now 1911........and I want another one...
    I still got all my other guns but there's something about straping that lady close to you ....and it shoots....MMMmmmmm
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    The other day at the range I got a chance to shoot my first 1911. My TKD Instructor has a Kimber Desert Warrior and he offfered her up for me to play with.

I have never fired a .45 or a 1911. So I load her up, send the silhouette target down range. When I extend my arms to start firing I notice he has already plugged the chest and head pretty good, so I pick the next largest untouched area.

Again, I have never fired a 1911 or a .45 before.

Well, let's just say this target won't be procreating ever!

Now the bad part, I friggin want a 1911 now. That was some nice smooth shooting. I was amazed at how accurate I was mag after mag as heavy as this gun was, I never seemed to get tired. Maybe it was just the joy I got from hurting the outline of a paper bad guy.

Now I really feel dumb for letting a Springfield Armory 1911 for $350 slip through my fingers a few months back
    EEGAADDS!! At least let us know and pass along the offer next time!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    EEGAADDS!! At least let us know and pass along the offer next time!
    I know, I know. I look back and now I see the opportunities to change the grips, trigger, etc. and all I can do is

-Paco

Welcome to the Church of Enlightment est. 1911 Paco! There's a reason why that design as basically remained unchanged for 100 years. I enjoy my other pistols but absolutely adore my 1911's and they get the most range time. If I was you, I'd try to find a Kimber Custom II as my experience has shown that Kimber's are consistantly accurate and have great triggers.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the congregation!

Once you get your 1911 .45 tweaked just the way you want it...you'll need the (amazing) Marvel .22 conversion so you can practice for pennies. That might be a little help justifying your new addiction to your wife. "But Honey, it's just soooo much cheaper to shoot..."
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    1911's are like the old Lay's potato chip commercial “bet you can’t have just one”, have four myself.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If you like the 1911 you will probably love the High Power.

It addresses all the 1911 weak points. "When John Browning designed the 1911 he hit a Home Run. When he designed the High Power he hit a Grand Slam."

I myself like 1911's. I love High Powers. It took me years to get such enlightenment. I hope you find that enlightenment sooner than I did. Enjoy the 1911 but if you are not wedded to the .45 ACP try a High Power in 9mm or .40 S&W.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I feel your pain. I love my XDs, but a couple of months ago I shot a friend's Springfield 1911 and I was hooked. My only problem is the price...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My Glock's better than your Glock........

<Tantrum>.......STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

I am covering my eyes. Repeat.........

I do not want a 1911. I do not want a 1911. I do not want a 1911.........

Darn.........it never works.........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links