01 ffl

This is a discussion on 01 ffl within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about looking into getting the C&R FFL. Where do I start the process at and whats involved?...

Thread: 01 ffl

01 ffl

Been thinking about looking into getting the C&R FFL.

Where do I start the process at and whats involved?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    Been thinking about looking into getting the C&R FFL.

Where do I start the process at and whats involved?
    In the simplest terms go to ATF, request the forms (I don't think you can download them unless that has changed form last year.), fill them out following all the instructions and send one copy with a $30 payment to ATF and the second copy to your local law enforcement agency.... Then wait.

The FFL os good for 3 years!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It is not that hard to get the forms from ATF you then fill out the form and send it in with $30, you also send a copy to your local police chief. When you get your license do not sign the original, just make copies, sign them and send them out to surplus dealers to put on file. There are other places like Midway USA that if you send them a copy of your C&R they will give you dealer pricing on their items. It is good for 3 years, I had mine for 6 years now and just renewed it for another 3 years, back then when I first got it there were more C&R rifle and pistols, but you still find good deals, and having them shipped to your house without transfer fees and forms is great. Just keep a log book and don't buy them to resell them, it is not a dealers license, it is a collectors license. Hope this helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Just keep a log book and don't buy them to resell them, it is not a dealers license, it is a collectors license. Hope this helps some.
    I do trade frequently, would I run into problems with that?

By the way, I ordered 10 forms, so if anyone in the Atlanta area needs one...let me know
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

The way it is set up, is you can trade or sell to upgrade a C&R firearm or purchase a different one, but you can't buy any C&Rs with the intention of selling for profit, or buy for friends or others. The logbook will show how many you purchase and how many you sell or trade. The ATF can setup an appointment with you to check your logbook, so let's say you buy a couple of M44s then sell or trade them a couple of days later that doesn't look to good, and can get you in hot water.

Is there a place on atf.gov website that I can print the form to send in for a C&R ffl? The only thing I found was a place to order the form.

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Is there a place on atf.gov website that I can print the form to send in for a C&R ffl? The only thing I found was a place to order the form.
    I couldn't find a printable version of it. I think you have to order it.

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Copied from atf's website.

How does one get a license?

Submit ATF Form 7, Application for License, or ATF Form 7CR, Application for License (Collector of Curios or Relics), with the appropriate fee in accordance with the instructions on the form. These forms may be obtained from the ATF Distribution Center by calling 703-455-7801 or by visiting the web site located at: ATF Online - Public Use Forms.

[18 U.S.C. 923, 27 CFR 478.44]

After rereading this I think you're right. You either have to order it thru the website or call and order it. So I guess I'll give that a try.
    Thanks.

I would seriously be interested in obtaining a regular ffl and then a class 3 ffl, but I'll start with this and see what happens.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Since it's a multi-part form it has to be ordered. You might think about ordering a couple just in case of errors. Also try Google for tips on filling the forms out, and information on the citizen form now required.

Oh, and remember, when you get your actual C&R do NOT sign the original!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links