Metal or "spinning" targets

This is a discussion on Metal or "spinning" targets within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all - I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so mods feel free to move if need be. I ...

Thread: Metal or "spinning" targets

Metal or "spinning" targets

Hello all -

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so mods feel free to move if need be.

I am a member at a lodge that has an outdoor shooting range. The facilities are ok, but target setup is less than optimal. My dad and I are thinking of buying some metal targets. I have seen spinners in gun magazines, and Dad has seen targets that you hit in sequence, and they fall down. After all of them are down, you hit another target and it resets all the lower targets back up again.

I'm wondering what all of you have and what you like or dislike about the setup. Who has quality products and who has junk? How much should we plan to spend? Are they portable enough to store in the garage and throw in the trunk of the car when we want to go to the range? Any other info or advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

2. Remove Ads

After having seen a bullet batted back into some guys face by a spinning target I avoid them like the plague. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Metal targets need to be set up in such a way that the ricochet angle and direction is controlled. You must know where it's going to go if it happens. We always set our steel up so the any bullets coming off of the target are directed into the ground or into a berm. Be careful anytime you see folks shooting steel. It is perfectly safe if done right. If done without care really bad things can happen. Avoid cheap steel targets, they won't last. Good quality steel is going to be too heavy to transport in most cars.

Check this site out. Some of these might work for you.
    Spring Loaded Steel Targets

Steel target that can handle a beating with bullets are not going to be portable. With that weight factor of just a couple you are going to need a sizable truck or trailer. You want something portable shoot clay pigeons on a string or fruit. Bio-degradable things

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Metal Spinning Targets - Dueling Trees

the 6 paddel tree with 22lr and mag paddles has been years of fun.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Steel target that can handle a beating with bullets are not going to be portable. With that weight factor of just a couple you are going to need a sizable truck or trailer. You want something portable shoot clay pigeons on a string or fruit. Bio-degradable things
    It really depends on your definition of “portable”. Quality steel targets don't have to be very heavy.

On my place I use 2/3rds IDPA silhouettes and circles in AR500 from Arntzen targets with their portable stands. I also had a set of Bowling Pins made in AR500 from “Quality Target” along with a couple rabbit/squirrel silhouettes for my boy. Both companies have been very reasonable and the owner of Quality Targets will pretty much make what you want if he can fabricate it. I’ve had some of my targets for about 4 years now, and flip them every year to save them from bending. The AR500 has held up well to all calibers of handgun, 5.56/7.62/.270, 30-06, and .300WM at 150-500yards. I also have 6 stands we welded up to hold cardboard IDPA silhouettes, a knockdown popper that triggers an IDPA swinger.

2/3rds IDPA targets in 3/8th inch AR500 weigh 23lbs
    Their stands weigh 20lbs

I store mine in a garden shed on my pistol range and it takes us about 10 minutes to set up IDPA stages. Most of mine are on the Arntzen portable stands, with only a couple permanent stands that I had made out of used grader blades for longevity.

Products
    Results for IPSC / IDPA

I don’t own a dueling tree (yet) we usually settle our “disagreements” Mano “E” Mano on the bowling pins, with the fastest shooter ringing the swinger in the middle.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Links