Tribute to a Forty-Five...

This is a discussion on Tribute to a Forty-Five... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello. I don't know that I'd be here right now were it not for the forty-five Colt auto shown below. It was purchased in the ...

Thread: Tribute to a Forty-Five...

1951 - 2011

Tribute to a Forty-Five...

Hello. I don't know that I'd be here right now were it not for the forty-five Colt auto shown below. It was purchased in the '70's and eventually worked over by Lou Williamson, a fine gunsmith whose speed in completing projects tends to favor the Biblical definition of a day...but the wait is worth it.

This gun had S&W K-frame revolver sights added and he silversolder a shop-made ramp front sight on the gun. A few years later I had the gun blk parkerized, with the guts hard chromed, and the front strap checkered 20 LPI. The trigger job he originally did held constant so no changes were necessary. The collet bushing was replaced with a fitted one. It also has an Ed Brown hammer, sear, and grip safety.

Though not my first nor near my only duty gun used in police service for twenty-five years, this one for absolute sure kept a straight razor off of me one evening. I have no doubt in my mind that the spaced out dude that ran at me with the razor drawn back intended to cut me to pieces if he could; I could see it in his eyes. This ol' Colt changed his mind. The thumb safety clicking off said all that was needed...and I reckon that's good in the long run. This is the gun that stood between me and a hostage taker one night when things went wrong in a hurry. It was the gun in my hand when I arrested a "man" who'd beaten his infant son to death, wrapped him in a blanket and then tossed the little boy into a closet. He carried a handgun now and again, but favored the knife and threated to kill the next cop he saw that was "hassling" him over "that damned kid." He was arrested w/o incident. There may be more, but this one holds special favor with me and is why it was photographed on my retirement plaque. I had it refinished when it was retired from police service.

Like many of you, there are other "special" guns in my collection, but I wanted to let you see this one. It is also the Government Model on the cover of my book on 1911 pattern pistols for the same reasons, affection and gratitude.

I'm sure the sights are out of favor now, but I like 'em and I suspect this one will be with me to the end.

Best.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice Mr. Camp! Very nice indeed. That .45 has alot of history and hope that you have a son to pass that .45 on to someday.

Gotta love those Colts.................

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Steve - thanks for the ''provenance'' write-up.

What a superb pistol and it probably is the one with most sentimental value to you. Great history and of course a truly classic piece. Thx for the post
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1951 - 2011
    Hello and thanks for the compliments on the post.

Ti, I appreciate your kind though on a son and all, but I married late in life and at 54 think a little one would kill me deader than that ol' gun!

Best.

Mr. Camp,

Thank you for an excellent post about a classy .45, and thank for your service.

KC

Nothing beats a gun with a good history. Had an issue Glock 17 that I carried for 12 years (they took the wheel guns from us). It served me well; it let me go home with the same amounts of holes in my body that I went to work with. They took the gun away from me and gave me a Glock 22 in 1998. Did not want to give it up, it was part of the family. But the Glock 22 has taken up the job and is now the new son at the house.

I hope you have someone to give your gun to in your later years. Every one needs a gun that has “protect and serve” to keep them safe.

Frankmako

1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir. I reckon my nephew will eventually get it, but not for a long time.........I hope.

Best.

OD*
    Stephen,

Excellent read, thanks for sharing.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Mr. Camp,

I've read many of your posts and enjoyed them all. You have a talent with words and you are sincere in your thoughts. This post is especially appreciated as it compliments not only a fine and trusted weapon, but also the man who used it as he served his community so honorably.

Thank you.

Administrator

Thumbs up Stephen Camp

I really enjoyed reading this thread.
    A special thread about about a very special firearm.
    AND...It's a classic COLT to boot! So much the better.
    Thanks Stephen!

Note to Older Gunner:
    Every thread that Mr. Camp "puts up" is a winner!
    We are very fortunate to have him posting here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nice post Mr. Camp. Special gun and special stories.

Humm, I wondered why the Texas Ranger and Deputy Baker carryied 1911's

Nice write-up, I love hearing the history of firearms. If you bought it new (or even if you didn't), write Colt to see if you can get the letter for it (as in, who it was sold to, all the specs) then add your own letter to the original.

This way, the gun has a history that can be traced and since you're already famous IMHO, it will add value as well as history to the Colt.

As for you "going anywhere", nope, not yet bud, you have a sequel to finish

Wayne

Lead Moderator
    Very nice. Having a gun with your own personal history sure makes it special. Kinda like a true lifelong , dependable friend.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1951 - 2011
    Hello.

Wayne: Barker et al that toted the 1911 did so because of the very prevalent attitude I saw amongst some law enforcement folks within my own agency as well as with some Rangers. (As an aside, I met a Ranger Sergeant at a local gunshop and he, myself, and
    a couple of others would have hamburgers and the trimmin's at the shop next door on saturdays now and again. He dressed like a banker and had a couple of diamond rings on his fingers that would have made Fats Domino proud. I asked him why his garb was usually a business suit, tie, and the very prominent rings. He said, "Trolling." He was of the "old school" and danged sure didn't mind mixing it up. He normally carried two concealed S&W Model 19's with the 2 1/2" bbl's, but I'll bet money he had a forty-five or two he could use if he felt "the spirit move him.")

Rocky, Rock and Glock, and all: Thank you very much.

Best.

Links