Taurus PT-22 just got and range trip

This is a discussion on Taurus PT-22 just got and range trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay I just got back from yesterdays range trip after picking up my new PT-22. Comes with one magazine, holds 8...if you really push it, ...

Thread: Taurus PT-22 just got and range trip

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar

Okay I just got back from yesterdays range trip after picking up my new PT-22. Comes with one magazine, holds 8...if you really push it, but really only holds 7.
    I tried a lot of ammo in this weapon. Federal bulk, Winchester bulk, Winchester XP, Remington Gold bullet, CCI Stingers, and two other brands of match ammo. So far CCI Stinger are the only thing that somewhat reliably cycles in the weapon, cant find any CCI standard or mini mag.
    Range distance was about 10 yards. Whoa is it accurate for such a short barrel, hit a coke can almost every shot. I can easily hit COM every time at that distance, maybe even the head.
    Now for the bad.
    The trigger is really really really long DAO, and takes a good 200 rounds to lighten up from almost too heavy to actually kinda nice.
    The slide is almost impossible to rack when fully in battery, it only will be rackable when the weapon doesn't fully cycle and jams.
    The weapon sometimes when it jams it JAMS, taking up to 30 seconds to clear. Usually with Stinger it just needs a quick Tap Rack Bang drill to clear.
    Safety is sharp! I mean like be careful when shooting it can cut into your hand.
    Firing Stingers without tightening grip panels will shake them loose.
    The Good.
    Really accurate for such a small short pistol, and once broken in a fun fun plinker.
    Fits in the tightest jeans pocket I own easily and easily draw quickly.
    Magazine actually is easy to load to 7 rounds.
    Fit finish is excellent, and ergonomics are great. Fits my hand and the other shooters nicely.
    Price is totally reasonable for a plinker, and magazines are cheap too.
    Overall, I think after a few hundred more rounds, and a polishing of the chamber and feed ramp. As well as Mini-mag CCI ammo and it will be a really reliable pocket bug, or plinker. Still I need to put a few hundred more rounds through it and find some Mini-mag ammo.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

It will get better with more use. With a .22 pistol, a thousand rounds is a good break-in. The trigger will get smoother, it will become reliable with more types of ammo, and it will hold all the rounds that the magazine was designed to hold. You have a darn good pistol, work with it. You will not be sorry.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

You should not have to rack the slide in that pistol to clear a malfunction. The design has no extractor so pulling back the slide will not pull the round out of the chamber, it needs the gas from a fired cartridge to blow it out. The preferred method to clear a malfunction in this type (PT-22, Beretta Tomcat, 21, or 950) is to strip out the magazine, tip the barrel, shake out the round, reload the magazine, and reload the barrel. If you do rack the slide, make sure there is no round in the chamber or you'll get a double feed.

The jams that I did need to clear, the round wedged itself between the barrel and slide. Locking up the barrel from tipping up. Pulling out the magazine did nothing, and sometimes actually wedged the round in worse. So needless to say, when I said it jams it JAMS. Occasionally and pretty much with the stingers the slide just wouldnt strip the round off the magazine and would lock back. A quick pull of the slide and letting it fly forward would send the round into the chamber and allow it to fire.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Hey TerriLi,

Glad to hear you are happy with the purchase. Did you say you wanted extra mags for this gun? If so I forgot to add it to the list of orders. Or did you find some elsewhere?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Actually I want some more, so add those to the order list. Thanks for the great price on the PT-22.

If it was a live round sticking up between the slide and barrel, it sounds like a magazine issue.

Thanls for clearing that up for me. I'm sure it will break in fine with good magazines.

Hmm, I might look at the magazine. I thought that might be it, or the feed ramp needs some polishing. I was thinking feed ramp because the ramp is a little rougher then I like, but still good.

Sponsored Links