Taking Pictures of Guns in Action

This is a discussion on Taking Pictures of Guns in Action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shut these boys down!...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Taking Pictures of Guns in Action

Shut these boys down!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Just out of curiosity...

Can someone tell me which of the 4 rules of firearms safety were violated during this video?
    A question no member here should be asking nor any person who has taken even a basic firearms course of _any_ sort should wonder.

NRA Gun Safety Rules
    The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:

* Know your target and what is beyond.
    Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

* Know how to use the gun safely.
    ...Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

Source - NRA Gun Safety Rules
    And these are just guides.
    The biggest firearm safety rule of them all though is; 'Use your best judgment'.

If this course were being taught to specialized personnel toward covering specialized procedures and tactics then I'd buy it.
    But that is not the case as I can see here. It's just a line of poorly managed and structured civilians running what appears to be a basic level static engagement close combat drill.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I thought you had to commit a crime BEFORE going in front of a firing line...

"ain't no sense being stupid lessin' ya show it"

I agree, instructors, range employees, and RSO should all be fired and lose their licenses.

Unbelievable.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

thats amazingly stupid. get a wireless remote for the camera, put it on a tripod, and stand BEHIND the line, out of harms way.

sad thing is, to someone, that was a GOOD idea.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

We have an additional rule that is known as the 300 mil rule. Basically, if you can put a fist beside your muzzle, and there is something you shouldnt shoot in that area, it's not safe to shoot. I'd be curious of the shooter on either side had him within that area or not, but I would bet that he was for both, given how close those targets are.

I have been downrange on a shooting range before, while people were shooting in my direction, however I also had a thick berm between me and the shooters, and was pulling targets. Even then with a situation as safe as it could be, those low ricochets can still get your heart rate up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

AND they were shooting from the draw.....

AND they were reloading.......

Watch again at some of the people reloading and where their guns are pointed!!!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! DANGER! DANGER!!
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

I don't see anything wrong with the video.

Ever been to a Hackathorne class?

Progressive instructors always get flack. Truth be told there are innocent people down range in a gun fight. The world is a 360 degree world.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Dumb and Dumberer. I would have protested and left the range at first sight of that stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Lights...camera...TRIPOD...REMOTE CONTROL SHUTTER RELEASE!!!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    James Yeager's Tactical Response academy...
    That explains a lot.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Um, ALL of them?
    How so? If you feel that all of them were violated, can you explain exactly how?

A question no member here should be asking nor any person who has taken even a basic firearms course of _any_ sort should wonder.

And these are just guides.
    The biggest firearm safety rule of them all though is; 'Use your best judgment'.
    Can you elaborate further?

If this course were being taught to specialized personnel toward covering specialized procedures and tactics then I'd buy it.
    But that is not the case as I can see here. It's just a line of poorly managed and structured civilians running what appears to be a basic level static engagement close combat drill.

- Janq
    I'm not sure I completely understand what you're getting at. It sounds as if you're saying that "downrange drills" are ok for specialized personnel. Who do you have to be to be considered "specialized?" Military? LE?
    Why do civilians not qualify for certain types of training?

And, referencing the bolded part of your statement above, you don't really know who was participating in the drill. For all any of us know, these people could all be LEO's or military personnel...or dentists...what's it really matter who someone is?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I'm not saying it is a good idea, but some exhibition shooters do far more dangerous stunts. If the people involved are pros, this is how some things are done. People take many chances to get a good picture.

With that said, I would be neither the camera man or shooter.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Ha ha ha ha ha! If that guy were to have gotten hit I would not feel sorry for him. They have these nifty things called REMOTES for cameras these days ya know.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Kenpo,

Elaborate further how...exactly?
    And why. What more is there necessary to state?

As to your second question that should be a no brainer.
    If these were highly trained and specific purpose personnel then _maybe_ I could buy it. If they were using Airsoft or Simunition/Manmarker product.
    These students were not such persons. That too is clear and obvious per watching the students in the video. I don't know who they were but I'm quite sure who they were not.

Not that any of it negates the fact that 99.9% of the time having a live human being down range of live fire training is poor judgment and reckless and is at a minimum against the first rule of firearm safety, which is also a no brainer and obvious. Even if the camera guy is completely willing and comfortable with doing so.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links