Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store... - Page 4

Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store...

This is a discussion on Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Jmac00 The dumbest thing I ever saw was when I went to purchase my 44 mag I asked the sales guy if ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store...

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    The dumbest thing I ever saw was when I went to purchase my 44 mag

I asked the sales guy if I could see a S&W 629 Classic. the store was pretty much empty except for a couple other sales guys

he hands me the weapon and starts yapping about how great S&W is. I make sure it's empty, I point it in a safe direction and dry fired it a couple times and commented that the trigger pull was not as smooth as I thought it should be. The dumb-jerk takes the gun, pulls the hammer back, holds the weapon next to his ear and pulls the trigger. Then he looks at me and says "Thats about a 11 pound pull, and it don't get much better than that"

I give him a very confused look (my wife starts to giggle) so he does it again?? ~~~~ Pulls hammer back, holds it to his ear and pulls the trigger and says "yep, that an 11 pound pull, very nice"

Me and the wife burst out laughing, the guy looks at me like I'AM NUTS, and I start heading towards the door laughing like crazy.

One of the other sales guys (an older guy), comes RUNNING over to us, he tells the guy to go take a break and starts to apologize for "the new guy" and tries to sell me the 629. I told him (still smiling) "there is no way I would by a firearm from a store that had clueless, unprofessional people behind the counter" he counter with what if I discounted the firearm. I said how much..............

long story-short, after much dickering I got a 629 Classic w/5" barrel for $475........hey I ain't cheap, but I can be bought
    That is hilarious. I wonder what exactly he thought he was doing.

did you ever try it on a trigger pull scale? I wonder how close he was.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    That is hilarious. I wonder what exactly he thought he was doing.
    I guess he was showing off??? trying to prove he knew "something" about firearms? Maybe he watched to many movies?

To be honest, I was a little confused as to what he was doing at first. I was actually going to see how far he was going to push his "insight" into firearms, but my freaking wife started to giggle ( she don't know squat about firearms) and that kind of did me in. Then I started to laugh, it was all over after that, I just cracked up

I never put a scale on it, but my guess is he was right on the money. I think federal law says something about guns must come from the factory with a 11 pound pull? but I could be wrong
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

The dumbest thing I have seen, and had to comply with, so far has been filling out paper work to get permission to exercise a Constitutionally protected right.

I've seen most of what others have posted at one time or another. Mine is from a gun show where someone was playing with a light/laser attached to a gun for demo purposes. The "customer" was painting the head of a guy two rows over with the laser.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

We were on a range that had lanes in three different rooms. This was just outside Atlanta Ga. As we went through the first room To get to our lanes in the third room I saw something I couldn't believe.In the first room there was a crew of three guys removing the lead from the back stop using push brooms Bare hands and a wet dry vacuum cleaner and a shovel . None of these guys had a mask on and the lead dust was in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    We were on a range that had lanes in three different rooms. This was just outside Atlanta Ga. As we went through the first room To get to our lanes in the third room I saw something I couldn't believe.In the first room there was a crew of three guys removing the lead from the back stop using push brooms Bare hands and a wet dry vacuum cleaner and a shovel . None of these guys had a mask on and the lead dust was in the air.
    I shot IDPA few times in MN at an indoor range (Armored Fire in Circle Pines, MN). Every person was expected to sweep the floor or pick up brass off the floor. Nobody wore masks and the club president never explained that the sweeping made us all inhale huge amounts of contaminants. Add to that the fact that the person who owned the range didn't turn on the fans and the filters had never been changed. All of this came to light after the range owner was arrested for drug charges and the range sold to a more reputable interest.

After both I and my brother discovered that we had high lead counts in our blood, I never shot with IDPA again, I resigned my presidency of an IPSC club, and I stayed completely out of indoor ranges for one full year. I now shoot in indoor ranges on occasion, but there is no force on earth that can make me sweep a floor or pick things up off the floor at an indoor range.

[thread drift] You live in "Central Florida" ? I used to live in Wauchula. You know where that is? [/thread drift]

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Some kid coming into a store and asking the clerk whats a good 45mm...

Both the clerk and I looked at each other and tried out best not to

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

"Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I once observed a man walk up to the counter at a major sporting goods outlet and make the statement that he was going hunting in Alaska for Grizzly and ask for some good .45 acp for his backup handgun in that situation. He was handed a great self defense hollowpoint load in 230 grain 800 fps. As the customer turned to leave I asked him how he intended to use that load to defend himself against a Grizzly. His response was that he'd shoot the Grizzly if attacked. I told him the only way he'd get any relief from an attacking Grizzly bear with the .45 load he was carrying would be to put the muzzle in his mouth and pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

What's wrong with that?..

I know it is a little smaller than my ww2 M1 57mm anti-tank gun but, hey he might not be able to take the recoil.........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

those new age bb guns that look like real guns.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    After reading this I count myself lucky, Ive seen lots of new people at the stores.
    I once had a guy turn around to check the sights of a rifle, and swept the whole store with it.
    I left after that happened.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I was in a gun shop in Tampa and in uniform (S.O. - mid-80's). A guy walks in, looks at a few pistols and decides to buy one. While completing the 4473, he gets to the "have you ever been adjudicated mentally incompetent" question. His response got him kicked out of the store without a purchase. He said (as God is my witness) to the owner, "yes, but I'm sane now and have papers to prove it. Do you?"
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    How about the cocky attitude displayed by a large portion of gun store employees. Here's a hint, try being genuinely helpful.
    THIS!!! 1000% THIS!!!

\rant on

Heck, I will even call out the store that I hate! Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly VA...worst bunch of arrogant jerks! I refuse to ever step foot in there again.

Ahh-hem...Your job is sales...right? Yeah, alright, just want to make sure we are on the same page here...There are going to be times that you hear the same 10 questions and have to give the same 10 answers day in and day out...but remember, every customer is new! An opportunity to educate, share your knowledge, your passion...heck maybe even get a nice little commission out of this exchange...

Oh, wait...I get it...guns are a "mans thing" (like knowledge of automobiles right?) so I as a man, not knowing what you know about guns makes you somehow superior to me!!! I get it now! That's right, assert your vast weapons knowledge over me....please gun salesmen, let me bow to you, I am not worthy to be in your presence or even gaise upon your bounty of overpriced guns and ammo...forgive me my lord!!!!

\rant off

In all seriousness, I do not get the arrogance factor that comes with a vast majority of gun salesmen. I just don't get it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links