Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store...

This is a discussion on Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This should be fun. Name some of the stupidest things you've seen in a gun store (not dangerous per se but just ignorant). Here are ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store...

Stupidest stuff you've seen in a gun store...

This should be fun. Name some of the stupidest things you've seen in a gun store (not dangerous per se but just ignorant). Here are some I've seen:

1) Three employees trying to figure out how to get the slide stop back on a 1911. When I saw the pocketknife come out I knew they were clueless, but kept my mouth shut.
    2) An employee trying to sell someone a set of Hogue grips that go to a square-butt S&W for a round-butt one. That big gap in the back of the frame was really attractive.
    3) Another employee trying to sell a customer a set of GP100 grips to go on a Redhawk (not a super redhawk but the regular one with the grip frame) - he tried to argue when I said they didn't fit. I was about 12 and the customer was my dad. He didn't buy them.
    4) Employee trying for about 5 minutes to break down an AR15. He got really p!ssed when my dad did it in three seconds (the guy was trying to do it with the bolt open).

I've seen several other goodies on oddball guns but I tend to give the guys a pass on those - no one can know everything about every gun.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    A 21 year old telling a 25 year veteran Police Officer and firearms instructor for Swat how to hold and shoot a firearm.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    As a kid, looking at an Ithaca 37 at the local K-Mart with my dad. I asked the clerk how the bottom eject worked. He put in a live round and cycled it all the way through to show me. My Dad questioned him as to the wisdom of doing that inside the store. The clerk said it was OK because the safety was on.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Some of the price tags hanging off the new and used weapons lately.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Jat40
    Some of the price tags hanging off the new and used weapons lately.
    The prices aren't stupid, only those willing to buy them at that price are.

While stooping to look at a Springfield XDM in the display case a guy next to me was talking with the clerk about CCW. He then proceeded to pull his pistol from his sweatshirt pocket inches from my head. I felt that was pretty stupid.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    He then proceeded to pull his pistol from his sweatshirt pocket inches from my head. I felt that was pretty stupid.
    That was stupid on many levels. I can't decide on which reason to start with, the pulling a gun out of your waist band in a gun store or being so careless as to sweep another shopper.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    As a kid, looking at an Ithaca 37 at the local K-Mart with my dad. I asked the clerk how the bottom eject worked. He put in a live round and cycled it all the way through to show me. My Dad questioned him as to the wisdom of doing that inside the store. The clerk said it was OK because the safety was on.
    That's the GENE POOL working.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I am glad I have not had so many idiots in the gun shops i go to. I have not been swept nor seen untrained sales staff. I have seen mall ninjas salivating at the sight of a Desert Eagle.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Two separate gun discharges in the store and one in the parking lot. All three shooters insisted the gun was empty. Go figure.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Knowing the guns are all empty, I know it wasn't necessarily unsafe, but showed the lack of knowledge.

#1 New guy behind gun counter giving the "revolvers don't jam like autos" speech to some lady who knew more about guns than him. The kicker, his finger was curled over the trigger the whole time. Never cared where he was pointing, etc. Amateurs.

#2 I think it's far enough out that repercussions aren't really an issue. 2 SHOT shows ago, Las Vegas Convention center. Everyone there knows the gun rules, period. But still there was an ND. I won't mention the booth, but one of the "guys" was a cop, also. Luckily it was after the General public left for the day and only vendors were left. Funny little cookie cutter replacement spot in the carpet the next day.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I didn't actually see this one, but John Farnam sent it out to his mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by John Farnam
    ND in PA, from one of my Instructors!

"I was close to an ND in a local gunshop today!

I was examining a SIG P250 that was part of the shop's inventory. When I asked the clerk for permission to dry-fire, he said okay, but wanted to insert a snap-cap into the chamber first.

Snap-caps are inert, placebo cartridges, designed to cushion the blow of the firing-pin during dry-fire. Snap-caps are usually plastic and colored brightly to distinguish them from live rounds. Some old guns, and even some recently-manufactured hunting rifles and shotguns can be harmed by excessive dry-firing. Hence, such guns are usually sold with snap-caps.

However, nearly all modern defensive firearms are not harmed by dry-firing, particularly pistols, and, for them, snap-caps are unnecessary. Still, there are some who believe dry-firing with any gun should be done with snap-caps in place. This clerk was apparently one.

In any event, I handed the P250 back to him, as he reached into a plastic bag full of snap-caps in various calibers. He recovered a bright-blue, plastic cartridge (metal base) in 9X19, inserted it into the pistol's magazine, shoved the magazine into the magazine well, and reciprocated the slide, chambering the round.

He then nonchalantly pointed the pistol at the glass counter-top in front of him and pressed the trigger.

The pistol discharged!

The glass counter-top was shattered, but none of the guns on the shelf below were harmed. The 'bullet' was blue plastic, and we found it, deformed but still identifiable, sitting on the first shelf.

The flabbergasted clerk shook like a leaf, as I took the pistol out of his hand.

No one was harmed, and the only property damage was the broken glass counter-top.

As it turns out, what the clerk (and apparently everyone else) thought was an inert snap-cap, was actually a seldom-seen practice round, manufactured by Germany's Dynamit Nobel. The blue, plastic bullet weighs less than four grains, but launches at 1300 f/s. It is designed for indoor training with a minimal backstop. It is also marketed for pest control. Not powerful enough to cycle most autoloading pistols, it is still eminently capable of inflicting serious injury at close range.

Before today, I had never seen one, nor did I even know there was such a thing! There were several others in the bag, so apparently everyone in the shop was fooled!

Thank heaven, the clerk had the pistol pointed in a relatively safe direction when he 'dry-fired!'

I was graphically reminded today of the importance of 'Rule Two!'"

#1 - Pistol Bayonet
    #2 - old dude bringing a loaded revolver in to be worked on, emptying the rounds onto the counter, having it fixed (simple issue) then attempting to reload right at the counter before being told to do so outside
    #3 - a douche at a local shop trying to tell me that a red dot would fit on my gun and that i didnt know what i was talking about, then i had him try it on a gun in the case, and it didnt fit
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Woah, I was going to say "a pink derringer" at first, but never mind, that's not quite what you meant!

I haven't seen any dumb stuff going on at the two local shops I patronize, and after reading the above, I'm VERY grateful!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I was looking at a Hi-Power at the local Gander Mountain. It looked like it had been there for a while so I asked if I could field strip it and look at the insides. I was told that it could only be disassembled by the gunsmith that was on-duty and he would be returning shortly.

I waited and he did indeed return after a few minutes. Well after explaining what I wanted, he began to disassemble the pistol. After spending a couple of minutes looking for the bushing, so that he could remove the recoil spring plug, he just kinda gave me a blank look.

I talked him thru the disassembly, after which he handed me the slide and frame to inspect.

After I was finished looking at it he made me return all the parts to him so he could reassemble it, I was not allowed to reassemble it myself. As soon as he had all the parts back, he turned to me and asked me how to reassemble it.

I was at local gander montain & ask gunsmith about forcing cone on my revolver He said there was no such thing I laghfed at him he loked to be about 25yrs old tops
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links