148 yard glock 22 shot

148 yard glock 22 shot

This is a discussion on 148 yard glock 22 shot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I went shooting at my uncles property yesterday and he sets a target up at 50 yards and the betting begins. Iam shooting my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

148 yard glock 22 shot

So I went shooting at my uncles property yesterday and he sets a target up at 50 yards and the betting begins. Iam shooting my sig p250 9mm and he is shooting his glock 22, so he starts bragging about how good his glock is. Naturally i make a bet against the glock which is can he shoot a five gallon bucket set up at the back of the field. He sets up the bucket and pulls out the range finder and it reads 148 yards. He gets a full mag to try to dial it in. To my complete disbelief he his the bucket with the fifth round.. So I had to try it and sure enough i hit it with the seventh round with his pistol. I have never seen anything like it and now i have to have one. I will post picks soon because i know it sounds crazy. Has anyone else tried this?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Ben Franklin

I've seen a guy ding a 2 foot gong at 300 yards with a 9mm HK P2000. It took him most of a mag to do it, but still.

WOW.... Now I need to try that,....

I never seem to get the chance to shoot long distance any more. Orlando has grown and outside ranges are hard to find close to home. It's indoor ranges these days.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Glad to see someone else did this. I had a "discussion" with my old manager (Sgt. in the Army who knew everything) about using a 9mm and a .45 ACP to make an empty 1/2 gallon milk jug dance at 100 yards. He poo-pooed both calibers, stating it couldn't be done. He refused to go to the range with me. My son used his Baby Eagle 9mm and I had my 1911 and we routinely hit the jug without excessive hold over (in Ocala, Florida, not Colorado where the air is thinner).

This doesn't prove anything and I wouldn't take the shot (not really too defensive at that distance), but it was fun nonetheless.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Long range pistol shooting is just really fun. I am by no means an expert, but what I have done of it has been very enjoyable. I would imagine that a .357 SIG or a 10mm would help in getting accuracy at such range.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Long range pistol shooting is just really fun. I am by no means an expert, but what I have done of it has been very enjoyable. I would imagine that a .357 SIG or a 10mm would help in getting accuracy at such range.
    Yes, those calibers are good for longer distances, as is the .357 Magnum.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    My brother hit a coke can at 100 yards with a replica 1873 .45colt revolver. Took him 10 shots, but he did it.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

long range hand gun

my son and i tried that a few years back. beer can 100 yards. getting late, 10-12 shots can didnt move. didnt go look. i went back next morning to clean up and can had 2 holes in it.

On our old place we have a range were we can shoot up to 200 yards. We've enjoyed long range handgun fun there all my life. The .357 Magnum and the .44 Magnum are great for such use. Even .25s and .38 snubs can be entertaining and surprisingly accurate. A while back I was out there and took on an old galvanized trash can of about 20 gallons size with the Kel Tec .380 at 165 yards. Hit it 4 times with a couple of magazines of ammo.

The trash can on the hill side

Looking back at the pickup on the firing line from the trash can

Fun ain't it?
    We had set a popper out at 325 and shot it with rifles to see if a .223 would damage soft steel at that range (it does). We ended up shooting at it with handguns--2 GLOCKs, a Ruger MkIII, an M&P, and an XD. Everyone hit it at least once.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Looking back at the pickup on the firing line from the trash can

I'm betting I could hit the truck!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I have a freind with a 212 yard range on his property. With a very accurate Ruger MKII I hit an 8 inch steel I beam 7 of 10 from a seated position. Some luck, some skill, some an excellent pistol. Many years ago there was an outdoor shooting area outside the city where I lived. It was cluttered with the unfortunately typical trash these kinds of places attract. Old car parts, appliances, street signs, broken glass, and such like that. I fired at an old stop sign at just over 100 yards with a .38 snub and was surprised that the 158gr LSWC reload blew right through it.

Many years ago, when I was single and had money to spend (ammo was cheaper too), I used to take my ruger MkII bull barrel and GP-100 to the range at clarks brothers in norther VA. I reloaded for the GP and would buy a brick of their 22 ammo and go out back. This was every friday for about 2 years. After many tens of thousands of rounds of 22, I was able to regularly hit clay pidgeon pieces set on the bank of the 100 yard berm. It would take a few or three ranging shots and I would just have at it. The same goes for the GP.

Many a day would come along when someone would say something stupid like "a 22 cannot shoot that far, especially from a pistol". It would take less than one mag to show them the error in their way of thinking. Many got hooked as a result too. Elmer Keith used to tell people the way to get real good at shooting was to do it a lot.
    pax
    pt

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Go to a metallic shiloutte shoot. Guys in revolver class shoot offs shoot snuff cans at 200meters with iron sighted .44 magnums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links