How Can You Post the Street???

This is a discussion on How Can You Post the Street??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Banning Handguns on Beale Banning Handguns on Beale Updated: Wednesday, 17 Jun 2009, 9:23 PM CDT Published : Wednesday, 17 Jun 2009, 8:50 PM CDT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can You Post the Street???

How Can You Post the Street???

Banning Handguns on Beale

Banning Handguns on
    Beale

Updated: Wednesday, 17 Jun 2009, 9:23 PM CDT
    Published : Wednesday, 17 Jun 2009, 8:50 PM CDT

* Tealy Devereaux Tealy Devereaux

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - When Performa Entertainment Real Estate and the Beale Street Merchants Association failed to convince state lawmakers Beale Street should be exempt as a historical district, they came up with another plan in order to keep guns far away from its restaurants and bars.

"Our paramount concern is to provide for the safety and enjoyment of our guests and we're going to take any and all measures necessary to do that," said Onzie Horne Jr., Executive Director of the Beale Street Merchants Association.

Now weapons are banned on Beale starting the first weekend after a new state law allowing guns in bars takes effect.

"While we are certainly for second amendment rights and the rights that go with them we thought it was a bad bill," said John Elkington with CEO of Performa.

Beginning July 17th visitors to Beale Street can expect to be screened with metal detector wands at all entry points. Those enforcing the new ban liken it to the kind of security you experience at the airport.

Merchants say it shouldn't take long to get into the party area and once inside signs will remind everyone, "no guns allowed."

"If people are going to come down here and party and drink I think it would be too easy to get mad and fire a gun at somebody," said a Colorado tourist.

"Anywhere alcohol is served, even state parks I'd rather not have handguns involved," said someone visiting from Covington, Tennessee.

Businesses like "King's Palace" report no trouble with gun toting customers in the past. Two years ago weapons were a worry on Beale. Performa says back then more than 650 knives were confiscated during one summer.

"It's a much more violent society than when we started Beale Street. Things have gotten tougher. Downtown is tougher," Elkington said.

YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEO AT THE LINK

They may be able to post the individual establishments, but how can they post the street outside???
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

2. Remove Ads

"screened with metal detector wands at all entry points" - sounds like each business has decided to post individually and the speaker is referencing all the individual businesses as "Beale St".

On Bourbon St. in NOLA all guns, knives, and glass containers are banned - but it is a whole different world down there.

I agree. This is bad.

How can a private business or businesses post a public street against carrying concealed or otherwise with a permit that is legal per state legislation?

I'm sure this isn't over or atleast won't be without a ruckuss. You TN folks contact your aldermen, congressman, or senators and post their emails on here. I'm sure you could get a lot of folks to start emailing.
    Slow is steady and steady is fast.

So if I want to pass from 3rd to 2nd street on either side of Beale without going into a bar it sounds as if I would be prohibited from doing so. I would not be allowed to walk down the street.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

I must say...

It would be nice if a bunch of folks went down and walked around the barricades open carry and had a good ole time.

I'm sure this will be challenged. It's a public street. Oh yea, the story on the TV said they will confiscate your guns. HAHA!
    Slow is steady and steady is fast.

VIP Member
    Guess this just confirms it.... I can live without Beale street....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    In an unrelated note, the city of Portsmouth, VA just made two city streets 'private', banned trespassers on the streets, and the PD is enforcing the trespassing charges. And this is America?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Fear mixed with ignorance...

With thousands of bars and thousands of CCWers allowed to go in to them in our state, I can remember only one CCW related shooting where a guy came in to a bar to kill the owner with a gun and a patron with a CCW shot the BG saving the owner's life!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Looks like the good people of Tennessee need to close "Beale Street"

I recommend a "sit in" - telling anyone who comes by that the place is closed. After they've spent all that money in gizmos and extra security it shouldn't be long for them to go out of business.

Write your legislators and propose an extra tax increase for any business selling alcohol in a historic District, say...15% of sales.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Beale St.??? We don't need no stinking Beale St!

If you want beer and blues, there are other places besides this one. Looks like they don't want a decent audience or patrons, just the thugs, hookers, muggers, oh wait....that does sound like the blues.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by CPTMO View Post
    ..."Anywhere alcohol is served, even state parks I'd rather not have handguns involved," said someone visiting from Covington, Tennessee.
    The state parks around here don't have any bars. Guess I should move!
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

A couple of humdred 'empty holster' protesters going in through the screening process, back out, and in again over and over on a busy night might hit them in the wallet hard enough to fix this mess.

A court challenge that if the street is now property, the businesses need to pay the city for that property and pay for all the maintenance and repairs would do it too. And of course, the businesses would have to provide their own security and accept full liability on their new private property.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    My response these days is to avoid spending money where concealed carry is banned. To bad for our grandkids. Our kids got a kick out of the ducks in the lobby at the hotel. The new AAA ballpark is nice. We enjoyed the old ballpark also. If enough people that care about 2A rights bypass these types of cities, we will all be better off.

It is not unusual in local politics for zealots of some stripe to influence a group to self destruct. It happens in small towns and in large cities over a whole range of issues. My only regret is the people hurt by these emotional policies are generally not the zealots.

As individuals, we can only vote with our dollars if we do not like how they treat legal, concealed carry permit holders.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Lets see a publicly built and maintained street, is now off limits to me as a concealed carrier. Even if Im just walking through I can not use that street?
    Time for the politicians to be changed.
    Last edited by TerriLi; June 18th, 2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo king
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I would say that if the street is maintained with public tax dollars they can't stop or deny anyone from walking down that street armed or not, especially if state law says otherwise. I say sue em.....

Especially after someone is accosted for trying to walk down that public roadway on their way to some other location....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links