Defensive Carry banner

Is there a source for....

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wayne 
#1 ·
My wife and I are taking a two week road trip this summer out east. I was wondering if there is a source that would tell you the "bad" sections of town in different cities?

For example Boston has an area knows as "The Combat Zone". Obviously visitors would want to avoid that area. Here in Minneapolis Lake Street is a bad area along with North Minneapolis. I wouldn't direct visitors to those areas.

We all have occasionally heard rumors of stay out of this section or that area of town, don't ride the buses or the subway here or there. Most of the time I can't remember them and probably wouldn't know I was in them until it was too late anyway.

You can look up crime statistics for a city or town but wouldn't it be nice to know exactly what area most of that crime occurs in? This of course doesn't mean that you are safe from crime in other areas but I sure wouldn't knowingly go to a ghetto if I could avoid it.

#3 ·
Joe - sounds like you may have to make a call or two. I am thinking along the lines of tourist info places, local PD's etc.

Perhaps some MapQuest time might yield some possible places to make inqiries - even web search too on places.

Whatever - I think you need the local info from locals - unless lucky enough to find some folks here with 1st hand details.

Good thinking tho - to have some fwd planning. Hope you manage to find out what you need.

#4 ·
Thought about that too, but....

jarhead79 said:
Just walk around with a big gun in each hand and you'll be fine, no matter where you are.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And sorry, I actually can't help.

:comeandgetsome: Porbably wouldn't be a good idea in most eastern left wing towns. :rolleyes:

I really don't think such a single source exsists, as P95 says I would probably have to contact LE in each area. Just a thought.

#5 ·
Need same info too - haven't found much yet. I really get on edge in strange towns and cities. Only in daylight, try to avoid night unless I know exactly where I'm at and where I'm going.

I talk to hotel clerks, restaurant folks (waitresses and waiters), LEO's to gather intell - and sort it carefully as to the source, etc.

When just traveling and making miles, I try to stay on major Hwys and stay in major towns in name flag hotels, just for QQ. That can always tell you a lot too - where big companies are making big investments in hotels, buildings, restaurants - it's usually an area that passes the test. Boring at times - yep - but if I'm just making miles - I don't care. When I settle in, I like B&B type stuff, offbeat, jazz type environments - so go figure.

LEO's are always good - they'll tell you where NOT TO GO.

#6 ·
Good to plan ahead, but always have a plan B to fall back upon.

In my years of travel, stay in the light. As in, stay in areas that are well lit at night and even if that hotel (if you're staying in them while traveling) is cheaper than another, there may be a reason why it's cheaper (and if the clerk asks if you are renting by the hour... LEAVE :biggrin2: ).

Other tips: If you get off the highway, get gas and fill up. In case you do get lost, you won't have to worry about getting gas while in the area.

Look at the homes, the neighborhoods, etc.. If you go from nice to starting to look rundown, to WHAT THE HECK!, you went too far, turn around at rundown.

Look for "tags". "Tags" are gang markings, very easy to spot, they want you to see them because they want other gangs to know that it's their turf. See that, leave.

Stay in crowds. If you are going on tourist attractions, go when they have lots of people there. I hate to say this but criminals go after the ones they think are weaker if in a crowd. If you are the only prey, many will try their luck anyway.

I don't know where you are going, or the laws of the state/city/town that you will be in, whatever you decide to do for your own protection, is entirely up to you.

Have fun and be safe.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.