Was I being irresponsible? - Page 2

Was I being irresponsible?

This is a discussion on Was I being irresponsible? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MinistrMalic I think it is a lot wiser to keep it either on your hip or with the chamber empty, at least ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was I being irresponsible?

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I think it is a lot wiser to keep it either on your hip or with the chamber empty, at least if there are others in the house.
    :)

I would remind anyone in the house to assume all guns are loaded and ask to handle first. However to sit around with a gun with an empty chamber??? why have the gun out in the first place then. It is just a paperweight and not ready to help you protect yourself.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Loaded not unloaded

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    With respect to keeping it loaded in the house, having an unloaded gun is the irresponsible act IMHO!
    I agree 100% !!!!
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

You were absolutely irresponsible. To allow somebody else to handle your firearm without your permission and to place yourself in a situation where he can pick up your firearm before you is ridiculous.

I would never let somebody who is, as you say, inexperienced with firearms, handle my weapon unless I, personally, unloaded it and handed it to him.

You either need to explain boundaries to your friend, or be a lot more responsible about what you leave laying around. Probably both.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Personally I would not ever have a round in the chamber unless I was shooting at something.
    So your criminals make appointments with you so you can ready your weapon to shoot them?
    If you don't have a round in the chamber all you have is a inefficient club.

How many times do we hear about some dimwit picking up a gun, assuming it's unloaded, and pulling the trigger. You don't want to be the "robber", if he decides to play "cop". Or what about the infamous brain fart of racking to clear then ejecting the magazine. It's only one bullet, what harm can it do?

Yes, he was irresponsible. But ultimately it is your gun and thus your responsibility to maintain control.

I'm not a fan of "It's kept handy" even when home alone. If you have to see a man about a horse, you'll likely leave it where you had it. Where it will be "handy" to anyone breaking in, but not to you. Remember Murphy. He always comes calling at the worst possible time.

IMHO. It should alway be on you or locked up. And if you're awake and not in the shower, it should be on you.

Was I irresponsible for simply placing my gun on the couch next to me?
    IMO no, there were no kids in the house, just you and a friend relaxing and playing games like you have done in the past as stated. Doesn't your friend know you have guns? He kind of freaked out, like he had no idea. I don't remember the gun safety rule that says a gun should be empty when not in use. If that were the case then everyone would cc an empty gun all day long? Only good as a paper weight then, unless you have a good throwing arm. I wouldn't loose the friend over this either, just talk it out and if a gun makes him squeamish, give him a BBBAAAAAAAAAA, and keep it concealed. My .02.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Personally, I don't have a problem that you took it off your person and had it within reach. However, he reached it before you which tells me that it wasn't under your control. There's the irresponsible part. I remove my gun when I'm home. I have control of the pistol at all times. My gun is only unloaded for cleaning. As someone else said, it's a comfort level.

I would have reamed his ass for touching my pistol though. If anything he showed you just how unsafe you were being by being that stupid.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    I would never place my gun beside me on a couch when someone else is in the house. IMO, the friend was acting irresponsibly by picking up your gun.
    oldogy
    Totally agree, your friend had no business picking up your gun like that. I also agree that I would have never set the gun on the couch. I carry a Bersa 380 frequently and usually when I get home in remove the mag and set the gun and the mag in drawer in my desk, especially if I know that others will be around. I also have the option of locking the drawer. No kids to worry about as they are grown and out of the house so its usually just me and my wife.

Guns are never left loaded laying around in the house, expect for the 9mm in the night stand and it is for home defense only and never leaves that location.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post
    IMO no, there were no kids in the house, just you and a friend relaxing and playing games like you have done in the past as stated. Doesn't your friend know you have guns? He kind of freaked out, like he had no idea. I don't remember the gun safety rule that says a gun should be empty when not in use. If that were the case then everyone would cc an empty gun all day long? Only good as a paper weight then, unless you have a good throwing arm. I wouldn't loose the friend over this either, just talk it out and if a gun makes him squeamish, give him a BBBAAAAAAAAAA, and keep it concealed. My .02.
    I agree. The gun won't go off on its own. You never know when you'll need it. And he shouldn't have touched it without asking.

I would know the friend well enough (that he/she wouldn't freak out) before I would let my gun sit on the couch/chair next to me.. I normally have mine on me from the time I get out of the shower, until I go to bed, Including any nap time...

I would have been PISSED if someone grabbed my gun without my consent,. But him being able to grab it before you isn't a good thing at all.. Specially being you didn't know his feelings on it..

Gun safety,... (someone has this for a sig I think) An unloaded gun is a hammer.... I have enough hammers around my place..

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    And if you're awake and not in the shower, it should be on you.
    As a friend once observed, "Why do you think they made Ziplock Freezer baggies...?"

If someone else can get their paws on it then you are at fault an not in total control over your gun. Even if he broke the rules of picking it up it is your responsibility to make sure nobody can get at it in the first place.

I am not trying to sound harsh but he could not have made the mistake of touching it had it been retained properly. Weapon retention is a part of gun safety. I would have a talk with him about shared blame but not scratch him from the guest list. Good Friends are valuable and a blessing. Good luck....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If someone else can get their paws on it then you are at fault an not in total control over your gun. Even if he broke the rules of picking it up it is your responsibility to make sure nobody can get at it in the first place.

Seriously... That is well said for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    So your criminals make appointments with you so you can ready your weapon to shoot them?
    If you don't have a round in the chamber all you have is a inefficient club.
    Cute! no, my criminals don't make appointments with me. If you drill yourself to rack the slide while drawing your weapon it becomes easy to put one in the chamber as quickly as you can acquisition your target. A lot of people don't take time to consider this option, and that is OK. as stated we all have differing comfort levels when it comes to safety. I am a new gun owner, and there are two skills I am working on at the moment. #1 improving accuracy (and in tandem) #2 racking the slide while drawing. If you would like to discuss this further I'd be happy to, but I also don't want to derail the original post, so feel free to email me at aitsu_83@yahoo.com thanks!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitsu83 View Post
    If you drill yourself to rack the slide while drawing your weapon it becomes easy to put one in the chamber as quickly as you can acquisition your target. A lot of people don't take time to consider this option, and that is OK.
    Have you considered the possibility that one of your hands may be incapacitated in a fight? I assure you, it is faster to acquire the target than to rack the slide and acquire the target even with two good hands. Speed is essential.

I agree with those who have taken issue with the fact that someone was able to gain control of the weapon. Anyone who reaches for my weapon when it is not on my person will find it very unpleasant.

I have no problem with having the gun close by. It is much faster to deploy from the coffee table than from a sitting position (for me.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links