Never ceases to amaze me

Never ceases to amaze me

This is a discussion on Never ceases to amaze me within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEWS BRIEFS W.Va. DNR reopens shooting range with restrictions June 19, 2009 @ 08:15 AM The Associated Press Herald-Dispatch.com CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) An Eastern ...

Thread: Never ceases to amaze me

Angry Never ceases to amaze me

NEWS BRIEFS
    W.Va. DNR reopens shooting range with restrictions
    June 19, 2009 @ 08:15 AM

The Associated Press

Herald-Dispatch.com

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) An Eastern Panhandle shooting range closed in May by the West Virginia of Natural Resources will reopen at the end of the month.

The DNR closed the range at Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management area because a private cabin half a mile away had been repeatedly hit by gunfire.

District Wildlife Biologist Rich Rogers said the problem developed because shooters ignored safety rules and illegally placed targets on the top of bunkers designed to stop bullets.

Because the incidents involved rifles and pistols, the DNR says when the range reopens on June 29, only shotguns will be allowed.

Shotguns do not use longer range cartridges.

The agency says it is looking for ways to develop a new shooting range
    W.Va. DNR reopens shooting range with restrictions - The Herald Dispatch

I'm glad that I don't live in the Eastern Panhandle. This just really looks bad for all West Virginians.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's amazing that the range was built that close to a house. every out door range i've ever been to was MILES away from anything.

i hope no one ever got hurt in the house...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    that's amazing that the range was built that close to a house. every out door range i've ever been to was MILES away from anything.

i hope no one ever got hurt in the house...
    It's possible the range was there before the house. Either way a few idiots ruined it for the rest of the shooters who used the range.

Yes, this kind of thing never ceases to amaze me. If I had to bet money on it I'd go with archer51. The range probably came before the house.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

I havent been to many outdoor ranges. I normally shoot on a friends property or go to an indoor range so i may be missing something but on a well designed range how would a bullet travel a half a mile?

Nevermind. I need to learn to read. lol Sounds like a few idiots ruined it for everyone else.
    Last edited by highoctane; June 20th, 2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Need to learn to read.

HA! The brother in law (Packinnova) and I have been there a few times...based off what I have seen there, this does not surprise me.

Once saw a guy shoot a cannon...yes a mini 20 or so pound cannon...loudest boom (and subsequent large smoke poof) I have ever heard...scared the crap out of me!!!

Nice people up there, but seemed to be filled with a bunch of rednecks with nothing better to do...Kinda got a weird vibe from the place.

All that being said, I will be going back there soon!

One of the comments following the The Herald Dispatch article seems to indicate that the cabin was there first. If so, what idiot laid out the range???
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Given the heavily wooded nature of the area, and the original intent of the range, I would venture to guess that is why the "idiot" who laid it out, did so.

Although, not surprising that there are problems. I've been up there numerous times for going on a decade now and it's never been "safe". I've been downrange to collect my targets during cease fire(along with darn near everyone else that was on the line), only to find I need to dive behind the berms because there was a drunk 60 something idiot that just randomly started firing off during a cease fire. And that's not my only experience...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ...a few idiots ruined it for the rest of the shooters who used the range [properly as within the facilities requested/required rules of operation].
    Bingo! ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    Kinda got a weird vibe from the place.
    Hmmm... same vibe I get from a town named Concrete here in Washington.

HA HA.... Ya crazy stuff.. We have a outdoor gun range in the NW part of town that has been here since before I know off,. Anyway, if you look past the target's and backstop there is houses up the mountain that are $500,000.00 - $1,000,000.00 dollar homes.. They was put in afterwards... All is would take is someone aim right and they would have holes in there houses too.... Never understood that at all..

Sponsored Links