22 LR pistol

This is a discussion on 22 LR pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am seriously thinking about entering the realm of .22 LR pistols. Something to get the wifey started on handguns, and something to use in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR pistol

22 LR pistol

I am seriously thinking about entering the realm of .22 LR pistols. Something to get the wifey started on handguns, and something to use in our Squirel JIHAD at the Cabin. Any suggestions with makes/models and ammunition?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Hard to beat the Ruger Mk. II. Pretty much any ammo is effective against squirrels.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Love my Browning Buck Mark SS Camper. I've got a bunch of different ammo for it but most all of it is Federal 510 and AM22. Whenever I see it available at WallyWorld, I grab a few boxes. Oh, get yourself an 'Ultimate Cliploader' and be prepared for loads of cheap shooting fun.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Just put about 700 rds through our new Beretta NEOS yesterday at the range. LOVE IT! Everyone else who was there with us and tried it out loved it, too!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

.22s are notorious for being ammo sensitive. What works well in one pistol may not be accurate in another. Buy as many brands as you can find and try them all out.

The Wather P22, the Ruger 22/45, any S&W revolver, and the various conversion kits are great as training pistols to simulate a full sized defense gun for new folks. That's what they were made for. I love my Walthers, but for serious squirrel shooting they're a bit limited accuracy-wise for hunting. The target pistols like the MK-II or -III Rugers, the Buckmarks, Neos, 22A and other target type pistols are more than accurate enough for squirrels, but don't teach defensive skills as well. They are great for marksmanship training like teaching good trigger control habits and that's never a bad thing. I would avoid any of the tiny little pocket .22s for a beginner. They're hard to shoot well and hard to hit with. When I'm teaching a beginner I want a pistol as easy to hit with as possible. When that first shot lands in the X ring, they will be hooked for life.

aag
    I love my Firestorm 22LR (FireStorm 22LR Matte Pistol 10 Rd). Pleasure to shoot and not too sensitive to what I feed it.

A Buckmark is a load of fun. Here's my somewhat tricked out BM. Spending $10 on ammo is a hoot too, compared to $100-150!

+1 for the mkII

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    A Buckmark is a load of fun. Here's my somewhat tricked out BM. Spending $10 on ammo is a hoot too, compared to $100-150!

Nice! Is that a Tac Sol rail? Does it work well with the stock FO front sight?

I'll give another nod to the Buckmark. They're a very accurate pistol and a joy to shoot. They offer enough variations that you'll bound to find one that fits your needs and price range. Like kingdaddyoh said, much easier on the wallet as well. This is my Buckmark Damascus I picked up a couple of years ago.

Thumbs up Revolver for .22 LR

I have a Ruger MkII, and in retrospect, I wish I had bought a revolver. As others have said, .22LR pistols can be ammo sensitive, and the cheaper ammo is very dirty and prone to malfunctions. The Ruger MkII is somewhat difficult to disassemble and reassemble, but even more importantly, it is difficult to clean out all the nooks and crannies. I had trigger reset issues with mine that I finally traced to a tiny speck of carbon on the trigger bar.

If your goal is to have fun, and teach the fundamentals without having to deal with reliability issues, I would go with a revolver in this rimfire caliber.

That's my $0.02 - keep the "change."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have a Colt Woodsman, but that is more a collection piece now, but a great gun.
    Walther P22 was disappointing.
    Sig Mosquito mwas a nightmare.
    Beretta Neos is a is a great buy for the money, a good gun.
    My Firestorm FS22 has been ammo sensitive, and not the quality of many others.
    My Browning Buckmark is a jewel, very accurate and reliable. I have the Field 5.5.
    But the most fun gun is a Daewoo DP52 a Walther PP clone...excellent in every way. Just hard to find.
    My other .22lr is a Walther TPH, a fun but tiny pistol. Mine is very reliable.

I want one.

That Buckmark is a good looking gun.

Where do I get one?

The Rugers are nice in my experience. So is the Walther P22.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We're happy with our Beretta Neos, too. It disassembles VERY EASILY, too.

The word on the street is that the Ruger Mark II is better than the Mark III, and that both are tackdrivers... and awkward to take apart. I believe that Ruger also makes these in a 1911 configuration so you would get the same handling but with vastly lower ammo costs. Might be called the 22/45, but I'm not sure.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links