Regarding carry capacity. - Page 2

Regarding carry capacity.

This is a discussion on Regarding carry capacity. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If the laws weren't so limiting, we all could carry nicely effective pistol rounds. Anyone for explosive rounds?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding carry capacity.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    If the laws weren't so limiting, we all could carry nicely effective pistol rounds. Anyone for explosive rounds?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

For me, it's more about practicing the reload than it is about how many rounds my gun carries. I carry a Kimber SIS Pro. In it, I carry 9 rounds of Federal HST or Ranger T-Series. I almost always carry one reload, sometimes two.

All things considered, I feel better carrying 9 rounds in a 1911 than I do any double stack auto. It's just the platform I have the most control with and that shoot the fastest and most accurately.

As for multiple threats, I learned to start with the first and shoot until they stop, then the second and so on. Instead of 1 or 2 into each one. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out which works better!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

"The old saying that you can't miss fast enough is certainly true. However, if you can hit the target, does the umpteen round magazine really help, in reality?"

Perhaps the umpteenth round offers a measure of reassurance.

Seems to me that the first round is far more important than the umpteenth. For personal concealed carry I always felt like a properly applied first round along with 4 or 5 additional rounds available was an embarrassment of riches. It is very seldom that I carry a reload these days.

I pocket carry a J-frame 5 shot with a speedloader in the opposite pocket. 10 rounds with the gun on me at all times is a good compromise. I know me, and I know that I would not always carry something heavier/bulkier. Better to have 10 rounds on me than 25 or 30 at home in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Frame View Post
    Point - How many reloads occur during a gunfight between a Citizen and a bad guy? I don't think that reloads happen often.
    How many happen on average isn't your problem. How many'll be needed in the attack on you will be your problem. How many will be needed, then? Dunno. That's the point of more (not "umpteenth").
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Frame View Post
    Do you think that the amount of ammo in the gun is a real or perceived advantage?
    Generally reloads do not happen at all.
    That is what Officer Ken Hammond bet on the night her took his wife out to dinner at the Trolley Mall running a 1911 with a single 7 rd. magazine only to find himself in a fire fight with a determined adversary and quickly run out of ammunition...

Trolley Square shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund - Officers of the Month - Master Officer Ken Hammond, Ogden City (UT) Police Department
    Kenneth Hammond, Our Hero! - Associated Content

Having a five round revolver or low capacity single magazine in ones autoloader likely will be fine enough. But same could be said for not carrying at all and betting that one would not need a firearm and/or would have time to dial 911 for a rescue.

Personally I run 1911s with 8, 9 (9mm), and 10 round magazines and at a minimum I run one of not two spare mags in addition to what is in the gun.

Enough Gun, Enough Ammo
    Written by Dave Spaulding.
    Off-duty, you should never ever be outgunned!
    http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...?right=related

- Janq

" 'Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have." - Old timey truism
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links