Local Gun Club Hosts Family Shooting Sports Expo

This is a discussion on Local Gun Club Hosts Family Shooting Sports Expo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last Saturday the new wife and I attended a fabulous event hosted by Weld County Fish & Wildlife High Plains Shooting Range. They had stations ...

Thread: Local Gun Club Hosts Family Shooting Sports Expo

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Last Saturday the new wife and I attended a fabulous event hosted by Weld County Fish & Wildlife High Plains Shooting Range. They had stations set up where people could try out just about any shooting discipline a person can think of.

I've been getting the wife introduced to shooting sports and she has really enjoyed it but she has yet to shoot all of my guns and there were things to try there that I hadn't even done before.

So to start off and warm up, she went over to try the bolt action .22 with open sights supervised by the Colorado Division of Wildlife. They were shooting paper targets of big game and I couldn't help myself but give the DOW a little ribbing about poachers in training....

From there, we both went over and tried some black powder flint lock muzzleloaders. Both pistol and rifle. That was a new experiance for me as well and I've decided that if someone wanted to give me one of them that I'd gladly accept.

We shot the AR's which was a new experiance for wifey and I missed the 3shot burst position on the lever that used to be there when I was in the service. She shot really well and now with real experiance, we were able to discuss the function of an AR being no different than a hunting rifle.

She got to do a cowboy action shoot with lever action rifle and single action pistols. We both did some target pistol shooting with cool Burris optics. She tried archery with a recurve bow and trap shooting with a nice Benelli semi-auto shotgun.

This was a great event and it was awesome to see whole families there having a great time. County and state LEO were there helping out along with the city fire department. They had a pile of door prizes and I have some new Burris products on my Christmas list already. They even gave out a CCW class and I had fun giving the county SWAT guys a hard time about almost winning the CCW class door prize.

It was awesome to see so many state agencies assisting with the safe family education to the shooting sports from the DOW, County, and State LEO. The NRA helped sponser the event, Sportsman's warehouse, and a local manufacturer; Burris optics, were all big contributors along with several small business contributing door prizes.

Keep your eyes open for these events and encourage your local gun clubs to do the same!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Awesome! What a great way to introduce some newbies to the sport.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Me=Jealous. That sounds like alot of fun
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Sounds like an excellent way to introduce folks to the sport, and to self-defense.

There's an annual machine gun shoot, just south of here, and it's always a big hit. Pay cash to cover the cost of ammo you shoot, and you're ready to go. People come from all over to show off their gear and have other people shoot it, as well as others to take the opportunity to shoot stuff they've never seen. It's like a carnival and public picnic all at once.

This sounds like something our local club could do. Members could come with their firearms and ammo, and folks could pay-to-play. All the while, folks would be getting a deep dip on how safe and sane it all is. Raffles, prizes for the best shot or the youngest noob to participate, as well as a big barbecue. Hmmmmm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Originally posted by ccw9mm
    This sounds like something our local club could do. Members could come with their firearms and ammo, and folks could pay-to-play. All the while, folks would be getting a deep dip on how safe and sane it all is. Raffles, prizes for the best shot or the youngest noob to participate, as well as a big barbecue. Hmmmmm.
    this group sold tickets for ammo. The DOW sponsered women and children shoot the .22 rifles for free. The rest of the ranges and firearms were $1.00/ticket=3 shots. No private firearms or ammo were allowed to be brought in by guests. They also had someone grilling burgers & brats for sale.

The flyer for the event may still be available at www.wcfw.org

BTW - Wifey still thinks handguns are her favorite.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Sounds like a ton of fun for the whole family!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

VIP Member
    Our club did the same thing yesterday. Official count, 472 attendees. Unofficial count, considerably higher.
    Other than lunch and refreshments, it's a complete freebie for those that came. Lots of volunteers and donated ammunition. We even got the a local radio staion to throw in free advertising in return for a day for their staff at the range.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    From there, we both went over and tried some black powder flint lock muzzleloaders. Both pistol and rifle. That was a new experiance for me as well and I've decided that if someone wanted to give me one of them that I'd gladly accept.
    Would you buy the supplies and use it?

I have an old .50 cal Mountain Rifle that needs to have the barrel re-browned and the stock re-finished, and it needs a ramrod. My brother gave it to me many years ago, but I had already gotten out of black powder and it has just been taking up space in my safe. It was made from a TC kit and is in good shape, my brother just didnít do a proper job on the finish and stock.

Where are you located? Iím in Broomfield. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Would you buy the supplies and use it?

I have an old .50 cal Mountain Rifle that needs to have the barrel re-browned and the stock re-finished, and it needs a ramrod. My brother gave it to me many years ago, but I had already gotten out of black powder and it has just been taking up space in my safe. It was made from a TC kit and is in good shape, my brother just didnít do a proper job on the finish and stock.

Where are you located? Iím in Broomfield. PM me if interested.
    Wow, what an offer! Let me talk it over with wifey and I'll PM you. I have to give some consideration to the commitment part of buying supplies and using it. I know it would be a neat project once a guy had a kid to do it with but I'm a ways off from that yet.

Who is John Galt?

Take a walk thru Gander Mountain, they have a black powder section, and you will get an idea of what the cost is for supplies.

While you are looking, keep in mind that your volume of shooting will not be as high as it will be with a regular cartridge rifle. Rather than taking a minute or two to load a magazine and then however long you take between shots, you will be taking a minute or two just to load one shot after you get used to it. If I recall correctly, it was considered fast if you could load your rifle in 30 seconds or better.

Sponsored Links