I could see the bullet!

I could see the bullet!

This is a discussion on I could see the bullet! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just thought I would share that while my wife and I were having fun eliminating one hell of a craptastic computer that had given ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

I could see the bullet!

I just thought I would share that while my wife and I were having fun eliminating one hell of a craptastic computer that had given me enough problems I could actually see the bullets in flight.

The sun was behind us and we were shooting the computer, case and all, from about 20-25 yards away.

We were shooting my Walther 40cal PPS, my wife's Khar CW40 40cal, and my .45 Kimber Tactical Pro II 4", and a Marlin autoloader .22cal rifle.

Believe it or not the .45 was the only round that could actually penetrate the case on both sides. The rest of the rounds, maybe 1-2 40cal made it through, were stopped by all the crap inside the case.

It was a steel computer case, now they make only aluminum cases these days.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sounds fun, I told my realtor the other day that when he brought another low offer on my property I was going to take some buckshot to it and send it back to the buyer. Think they'll get the message?
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

I work for a computer company and some times they get on your nerves. lol I had a friend buy about 50 harddrives off e-bay to use for target practice. I thought he was nuts but he said it made him feel better.

i usually see our .45 reloads fly down range when i'm watching my buddies shoot. wish i had a junk computer to shoot. only electronic thing i've shot is a cell phone w/ a .45. gallon and half gallon milk jugs w/ water and coloring in them make a nice show when hit w/ .357 mags and even better w/ a .44 mag :-D

Shooting computers,eh? I've had that urge a time or two.

The computer guy in our office has a hard drive sitting on his desk. Large dent in it from being shot with a .45. There are 3 of us in the office who go shoot from time to time. They took this out one evening and blasted it, thinking the .45 would just destroy the drive, but it didn't. One tough little bugger to say the least.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    Sounds fun, I told my realtor the other day that when he brought another low offer on my property I was going to take some buckshot to it and send it back to the buyer. Think they'll get the message?
    If the message is: "Call the police" then yes, I think they will get it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    i usually see our .45 reloads fly down range when i'm watching my buddies shoot. wish i had a junk computer to shoot. only electronic thing i've shot is a cell phone w/ a .45. gallon and half gallon milk jugs w/ water and coloring in them make a nice show when hit w/ .357 mags and even better w/ a .44 mag :-D
    If you really want to see a milk jug full of water go pop, hit it with a rifle round :)

5.56 pretty much tears the jugs in half, and the halves are pretty dry afterwards. Bigger rifle rounds are even more impressive.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    I work for a computer company and some times they get on your nerves. lol I had a friend buy about 50 harddrives off e-bay to use for target practice. I thought he was nuts but he said it made him feel better.
    I have a pile of defective hard drives growing next to my desk. They go on my next outdoor range trip.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've done this demonstration many times as most people don't believe you can see a bullet in flight. Using a piece of Celotex, that black construction board as a target, I fire FMJ .38 spl's at it. You can clearly see the bullet in flight against the black background. Works best on a sunny day with the sun behind you.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

jfl
    When I was shooting IHMSA, with the proper lighting we could see the .44 bullet path all the way to the targets, 200 meter (~220 yards) away.
    Actually it is not the bullet you see but the con-trail it creates.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I have two old 17" CRT monitors, and several towers ready for the range. They are all going down.

Nope! you can actually see the bright shiny copper of a round moving down range! I see the .45s at our indoor range all the time. I can't see the .40's very often. Only works on the slower rounds for me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Brings back one amusing anecdote.......many, many years back a good buddy and I were on an eastern Florida Beach dune that is now National Seashore and quite near the Cape..........just plinkin' and foolin' around when we walked to the dune crest on that beach.............lo and behold a dead shark of about eight to ten feet in length had washed ashore and was utterly engulfed with gulls, shorebirds, crows........you name it, if it had wings and a taste for carrion it was there!.............Now good buddy had an M1A1 Thompson (legitimate piece, by the way) and I have no idea what possessed him to cut loose, but cut loose he did.....he dumped a non stop 30 round stick at those birds and continued that burst as they took flight.....................never cutting a feather........but causing one hulluva lot of consternation. As was stated in another post the sun was behind us, all the rounds were seaward and one could easily and clearly see every single one..............Got me laughin so hard I had to sit down, sure didn't say a hulluva lot for the effectiveness of full auto fire!

God knows what would happen today with a repeat of that foolishness, probably we'd both be in Atlanta for quite a while but it sure was a memorable event...................never cut a SINGLE feather!!!!

One of the employees at the range where I work has an HK .45ACP Carbine (UMP-USC or something) with a Procyon light on it. With the light on strobe, you can clealy see the bullet fly downrange. Great effect.

My friends and I were out at our local range blasting away. I pulled my p245 out and dropping lead. We could all see the rounds heading down range. Winchester white box. Real cool.
    Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links