Made my wife think a little......

This is a discussion on Made my wife think a little...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife finished watching "Going Postal:15 most shocking acts of violence" by herself the other night (she loves her TiVo) and outta the blue she ...

Thread: Made my wife think a little......

Made my wife think a little......

My wife finished watching "Going Postal:15 most shocking acts of violence" by herself the other night (she loves her TiVo) and outta the blue she says that I was right.......having a gun in some of those places WOULD have made a diffrence.

Now, my wife's not an 'anti', but she's never been around guns and can fall into the hype until shown another view or given the facts. The show was pretty evenly spaced with time given to both sides of the debate. After watching and seeing what happened in each incident, 'filling in' the blanks with things I've told her, and making conclusions based on info (facts) and her own experiences......she decided having a gun would be a pretty good idea.

Now if I can just get her to the range........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have her going in the right directions...little steps...keep telling her about the crime stories (many found on this forum)...she'll figure it out. Took my wife 32 years. If you were to talk to her now about crime, she's a entirely different woman.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Keep it up slow and steady wins the race sometime subtlety is the answer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Like everyone else has said. Take baby steps and go slow. Sounds like she will get there.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like you have her going in the right directions...little steps...keep telling her about the crime stories (many found on this forum)...she'll figure it out. Took my wife 32 years. If you were to talk to her now about crime, she's a entirely different woman.
    My wife and I haven't been married that long, but have had the "gun conversation" for a couple of years now. I just casually read aloud the "Armed Citizen" section of my American Rifleman magazine when I get a new copy. It's just a section talking about people who are armed repelling various attacks against them and their property. Lo and behold, now she talks to me about various tactics she can use in case someone forces entry into our home. I've found, with her, the indirect conversations do more good than just pounding her on the head for not wanting to use a gun for SD or HD.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Its great that your wife is seeing that guns are tools and can even descalte a situation.

My wife is going for the CCW class. She has her own gun but I am the one who usually carries it. I swap out hers or mine for carring. Obama getting elected finally scared her enough to get it before any doors close.

When I drove to Florida, she felt that having a gun while we stopped at rest areas made her feel more secure. Sometime we were the only ones there.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I do not have to mak mine think. After here aerobics class was robbed at the church, the last thing she ask walking out the door is "You got yours?"......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Get your wife to the range shooting a 22 cal. rifle or pistol. Perhaps even shooting 22 shorts. Also a pellet gun target practice around the house can be great fun.
    If you can get her having fun with the above, she will be hooked.
    Best wishes.

A little updated/related bump

My mother-out-law....( I ment -IN-law) went to the Bank and as she was getting in her car to leave......
    St. Marys bank robbed - suspect still at large: Man gets away with undisclosed amount of money. [The Florida Times-Union, Jacksonville] - BusinessWeek

"St. Marys bank robbed - suspect still at large: Man gets away with undisclosed amount of money. [The Florida Times-Union, Jacksonville]"

........The guy pushed right past her as he entered the B of A. She's terminal 'condition white' and when she heard on the news what happened and where she was pretty shaken. My wife and FIL gave her the "pay more attention" speech, etc. etc, but when my wife relayed the story to me, I gave the "anytime, anywhere" response....very compassionatly and in an 'understanding' tone of course.

She's getting it in her head my (and others) carrying thier sidearms 'might not' be such a bad thing.

Regardless, my MIL got pretty luckyme thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    Good deal.. you never do know what will finally make people come around. At least it wasn't a personal attack or other such tragedy.

Links