Bullet Laser Bore Sighters

This is a discussion on Bullet Laser Bore Sighters within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a 30.06 Remington 740 semi-auto that is way off and a Winchester Model 70 that is sighted in for somone else. I would ...

Thread: Bullet Laser Bore Sighters

Bullet Laser Bore Sighters

I have a 30.06 Remington 740 semi-auto that is way off and a Winchester Model 70 that is sighted in for somone else. I would never go hunting after having just used a boresight, some real range time (at three rounds IMO) with a good grouping is what I like to see.

However, I think I would like to use a boresight at first. I've been looking them over, I can't deside what to purchase. I think I prefer the caliber-specific brass casings as I'm thinking less chance of leaving something in the barrel.

Are they any good? What brand would be suggested? Thoughts?

Firefield Laser Boresighter, Scopes, Sightmark, Firefield Laser Boresighter Bore Sighter Site Ammo Free Chamber Remington Winchester Whelan Shotgun Rifle at Sportsman's Guide

Ncstar Laser Boresighter, Scopes, Nc Star at Sportsman's Guide

Laser Boresighters, By Guide Gear at Sportsman's Guide

Here are the ones I'm close to going with:
    Laser Boresighter, By S S I at Sportsman's Guide
    ---same as---
    SSI Sight-Rite Bullet Laser Bore Sighters
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I have a laserlyte the goes from .17 to 12 guage, it's nice to get you close, then as you say touch up the settings with a nice group.
    Bore Sighter : Laserlyte : Sub-Compact Laser : Universal Rail Mount : Quick Detachable Laser : Universal Rifle & Shotgun : Gun Sight Accessories : Univer

Since I don't like financing the Peoples Liberation Army (PLA- China), I would recommend Sightmark. NC Star and most of the stuff from Sportsmans' Guide is China-made and less than optimal.

Preface:

I've seen a bunch of posts and threads by folk frustrated with sighting in their rifle.
    This is a product I have come across in my gunfu forum adventures but have not used personally, yet.

---
    Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter

This revolutionary boresighter will get you on the paper – and much more – faster than ever. Its unique lens aperture system eliminates point of aim errors resulting from parallax due to extreme misalignment. The boresighter also includes natural backlighting of the target, LED illumination for use in low-light settings, and an inch scale for measuring approximate riflescope height and target group sizes. Check your zero. Set new ranges. Compatible with any caliber firearm. Energy efficient design yields 25 hours of battery life. Range cards for recording sight-in information are included.

Leupold || Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter

Leupold Zero Point Boresighter
    YouTube - Leupold Zero Point Boresighter

Product #: 675745
    Our Price: $69.99
    Reviews: Four Stars x 16 reviews
    MidwayUSA - Leupold Zero Point Boresighter

Topic: Leupold Zero Point Boresighter
    Posted: April/29/2005 at 12:41

Leupold Zero Point Boresighter

1. Ensure that the muzzle and Zero Point surfaces are clean. Place the Zero point magnet on the muzzle, then slide the Zero point up or down to match the riflescopes height so the lens is in the center of the riflescopes line of sight. The inch scale marked on the housing can be used to set the scope height. Set the riflescope magnification to give the best image size of the Zero Point's grid pattern starting on low magnification. The back illumination can be used to improve the contrast of the grid pattern.

2. Align the Zero Point on the barrel so that when you look through the riflescope, the image of the grid pattern is square with the riflescope's.

3. If the riflescope has not been zeroed before, simply set the reticle to the center of the grid of the Zero point by adjusting both windage and elevation adjustments. This will set the sight in line with the bore. (Rifle muzzles are carefully machined to be square to the bore as this is important to maintain accuracy.) While adjusting the reticle to match the grid and viewing through the scope, the reticle will move opposite of the adjustment markings. For example, if your reticle is low, you must move your elevation adjustment down for proper alignment of the reticle to the Zero Point grid.

4. At the range, with the riflescope preset and the Zero Point removed, the rifle can be fired at a target, say at 100 yards. The first shot should be "on the paper" then adjust the reticle to the point of impact for your exact zero at that distance. The unique Bi-View feature of the Zero point allows you to see the target and the grid pattern a well as the reticle. This allows the reticle to be adjusted to the point of impact - while the grid pattern is held centered on the target. Using this method a rifle can be zeroed using a single shot.

Range Calibration

After the rifle has been zeroed, replace the Zero Point and note where your reticle is in relation to the Zero Point grid, mark this on your range card for future reference. You can then repeat this for other distances or bullet weights. At any future date, for example at a hunting camp or at a range in a competition, you can recheck your sight for an accurate zero position at any of the marked positions on the Range Card without having to test shoot the rifle.

FACTS:
    - Amber Illumination for easy viewing.
    - Easy sight in
    - One shot zero technology
    - Check your zero
    - Set new ranges
    - Works on any caliber firearm
    - 595 Nanometer high efficiency LED
    - 25 hours of continuous battery life

Copied from Leupold's web site:

As the light rays traveling from the Leupold ScopeSmith Magnetic Boresighter (the Boresighter) to the objective lens of the scope are parallel to the bore of the firearm, the vertical or horizontal position of the Boresighter on the crown of a firearm barrel does not affect the scope settings necessary to get the first shot "on the paper" at a distance of 100 yards.

* Scope Alignment with the Bore of the Firearm
    The purpose of any scope mount is to hold the scope used on the firearm in optically parallel alignment to the bore of that firearm. As there is always to be expected a certain amount of minor deviation from this parallel due to the configuration of receivers and other mechanical tolerances, scopes and some mounts are designed with adjustment mechanisms to correct this deviation.
    There are also mounts, primarily intended for long range shooting, which are designed deliberately to bring the scope off parallel with the bore in order to allow the elevation adjustment dial of the scope to be set at a low extreme and thus allow for more elevation to be made available to compensate for large amounts of bullet drop at long distances. What must be remembered is that for getting "on the paper", the physical alignment of the scope main tube with the bore of the firearm is not as important as the optical alignment of the scope viewing direction with the bore of the firearm.

It is this optical alignment of the scope that is at the heart of the initial stages of sighting-in a scope and it is what the Boresighter does.
    Once a shooter is "on the paper", the actual point of impact can be observed and minor adjustments can then be made to the direction of the scope's optical axis to hit the bull's eye.

* How the Boresighter Works in Conjunction with the Firearm
    The Boresighter attaches to the crown of the muzzle of the firearm by means of a magnet. This magnet is designed to be perpendicular (at a 90º angle) to body of the Boresighter. It is assumed that the surface of the crown of the muzzle on the firearm is itself perpendicular to the bore of the firearm. It is important to be certain that the crown of the barrel is free of debris before attaching the Boresighter to it as such debris could alter the angle at which the Boresighter attaches to the crown.
    Therefore, when the Boresighter is attached with the magnet to the crown of the firearm, the optical axis of the boresighter is assumed to be in parallel alignment with the bore of the firearm.

* How the Boresighter Works in Conjunction with the Scope
    The target grid of the Boresighter is illuminated by ambient light from behind through a translucent white panel, thus presenting its image through the lens of the Boresighter to the objective lens of the scope being sighted.
    The Boresighter's lens is permanently focused to make the target grid seem to be positioned a great distance away from the scope, just like a target on the range.

* How the Scope Works in Conjunction with the Boresighter
    Because the Boresighter body is positioned so close to the objective lens of the scope and since the optical system of the scope is designed to clearly view objects at great distances rather than a few feet away, the target grid of the Boresighter is seen through the scope as the primary image in the field of view, with the edges of the Boresighter indistinct and disappearing into the background image.
    When the scope's objective lens receives the image of the target grid from the Boresighter, it processes the light rays that contain the image through its internal optical system, finally concentrating it on the plane of the reticle and projecting the resulting combined image of reticle and target grid through its ocular lens to the eye of the person sighting the scope.

* The Key Concept: Parallel Light Rays
    It is an optical property of riflescopes that all light rays entering the objective lens of the scope that are parallel to one another will be focused by the scope in the same place within the scope, regardless of where they strike the face of the scope's objective lens.
    It is this fact that allows the Boresighter to be placed (so long as it remains in an upright, or 12 o'clock position), in various vertical and horizontal locations on the muzzle of the firearm (that is, at various points on the x,y axis) without any reduction of its effectiveness.
    The image of the target grid from the Boresighter is presented to the objective lens of the scope by light rays that all travel parallel to the direction of the bore of the firearm. Thus, the location of the image of the boresighter scale seen in the scope is independent of the location of the Boresighter on the muzzle and is in the same direction the bore is actually pointing.

* Why the Target Grid Seems to Move During Scope Adjustment
    It has been established that so long as the rays of light carrying the image of the target grid enter the objective lens of the scope parallel to the bore of the rifle, the target grid image will appear in the same place in space, relative to any distant objects in the field of view, regardless of the physical position of the Boresighter on the muzzle. Yet when the windage and elevation adjustment dials of the scope are turned, the image of the target grid appears to move in relation to the reticle.
    This is due to the fact that these adjustment dials move the optical axis of the scope relative to its mechanical axis by making very small tilts of the internal erector system.
    The reticle is fixed relative to the mechanical axis of the scope, but the direction of the optical axis (the center of the field of view) is not.
    So by moving the windage and elevation adjustments, the image of the target grid (the bore direction) can be moved and made coïncident with the center of the reticle.

* A Note Advising Against Using the Boresighter with Non-magnified Reflex (Red Dot) Sights
    Due to the fact that non-magnified reflex sights (such as the LG-1 and LG-35) do not offer magnification of the target to the shooter, the use of the Boresighter with these products is not recommended. It would simply be too difficult to use as the image of the target grid presented to the shooter would be too small to be of any benefit.
    Source - The Optics Talk Forums - Leupold Zero Point Boresighter - Page 1
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Just a word of caution. Make sure your range allows them. Mine banned them a few months back after a couple of barrels blew up after leaving them in. They wouldn't even let me use the kind that gets chambered, which of course couldn't cause this problem. They just said "All bore sighters are banned", an irrational knee-jerk reaction that ruined it for everyone. I even asked if one of their range officers could sight it in for me. Nope! Had to sell it.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Administrator
    Sightmark is good - stay away from NCStar.

These work great.

Links