Shipping handgun....

This is a discussion on Shipping handgun.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it correct that the only document I need from an FFL Dealer is a copy of their FFL License? Once I have this I ...

Thread: Shipping handgun....

Shipping handgun....

Is it correct that the only document I need from an FFL Dealer is a copy of their FFL License? Once I have this I can ship them the firearm?

2. Remove Ads

To the best of my knowlege,the ffl has to ship it.I just had a heck of a time trying to ship one.Neither fedex or ups would ship it.I finally pulled the slide off and just shipped the frame(glock26) by fedex.It was going to a guy that does grip reductions and is a FFL.He said he could ship it direct back to me.But person to person,I don't think so.sj

A firearm may be shipped by an individual to an FFL or a manufacturer. A firearm is the frame of the handgun, all internals and the slide may be freely shipped to anyone.

A copy of the receiving FFL is required; as is proof of shipping via UPS or FedEX. It is a requirement that they are declared prior to shipping and sent next day air.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HK USP 45 View Post
    Is it correct that the only document I need from an FFL Dealer is a copy of their FFL License? Once I have this I can ship them the firearm?
    ATF.gov
    ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    To the best of my knowlege,the ffl has to ship it.I just had a heck of a time trying to ship one.Neither fedex or ups would ship it.I finally pulled the slide off and just shipped the frame(glock26) by fedex.It was going to a guy that does grip reductions and is a FFL.He said he could ship it direct back to me.But person to person,I don't think so.sj
    That is absolutely hilarious since the slide itself is just a completely uncontrolled part. The frame IS the handgun by BATFE definition! You shipped the actual firearm, but they wouldn't take it with an uncontrolled part attached to it?!?

BTW, you are allowed, by Federal law, to ship directly to any FFL yourself. And yes, the gun can be returned to you directly by a licensed gunsmith or manufacture after repair or replacement.

LT,I was told by both fedex and ups that it had to be shipped by FFL,my ffl said the same thing.I was just quoting what I was told,not trying to be knowledgeable.sj

LT,I was told by both fedex and ups that it had to be shipped by FFL,my ffl said the same thing.I was just quoting what I was told,not trying to be knowledgeable.sj
    That's fine, but it is not what the law says. If you don't want to be knowledgeable, I guess that is your choice.

Man,It seems like there sure is a lot of rudeness going on at this site lately,A person can't make a statement without somebody jumping in with a smartass comment,trying to show they are smarter than somebody else,calling other people ignorant,not just on this post but other posts also.If people can't keep a civil tongue,so to speak,they should just keep quiet.sj

Man,It seems like there sure is a lot of rudeness going on at this site lately,A person can't make a statement without somebody jumping in with a smartass comment,trying to show they are smarter than somebody else,calling other people ignorant,not just on this post but other posts also.If people can't keep a civil tongue,so to speak,they should just keep quiet.sj
    I am sorry, but I just don't really see what the problem is with posting what the correct information is according to the law. Some of us would rather know exactly what the real laws are rather than what people's opinions are. You were the one yourself who stated you were not trying to be knowledgeable, I wasn't slamming on you, I was merely re-affirming what you stated.

Regarding my, "That is hilarious" comment, that was not directed at you either, that was directed at the misinformed, untrained people at FEDEX and UPS who do not know that the frame is the firearm, and they will accept a shipment of a frame, but not a frame with a slide attached.

I'm sorry that you got offended when I clarified that there is a big difference between what a lot of persons' opinions are and what the law actually says, but when information is posted that does not conform to what the law states, I will correct it when I see it.

I have been shown where I have been wrong many times on the many forums that I frequent and each time I have said, well, I learned something new, thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to show me what is correct.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The bottom line is this, under the '68 GCA an individual may ship a firearm to have it repaired, replaced or customized. The shipper or receiver are not required to have a FFL. FFL's are required only for selling firearms. The stumbling block are the carriers who make their own policies as they go along. I remember in the 70's shipping handguns, no questions asked. Then came the overnight requirement, partly because UPS/FEDEX know a cash cow when they see one and partly because of their thieving employees.
    About a year ago I shipped a handgun to have it hard chromed. The only requirement was the overnight shipping. On a previous occasion I shipped two revolver frames (cylinders removed) to have grips installed. They were accepted but intercepted and returned to me, because "only licensed dealers can ship handguns". They never even asked if I was a FFL.
    I've also heard it matters where you ship it from. I've always had my items sent from Albuquerque with no problem. However I've heard horror stories from eastern cities. Apparently now an FFL is required. If thats the care, ship it priority mail and save $100.00.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If thats the care, ship it priority mail and save $100.00.
    A person must hold an FFL01 license in order to mail a handgun by USPS.

Links