How are you sure it is ready and able to fire?

This is a discussion on How are you sure it is ready and able to fire? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After you have cleaned and reassembled a bunch of times, you will become comfortable with your gun. Assuming it is a quality-built firearm, you will ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How are you sure it is ready and able to fire?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    After you have cleaned and reassembled a bunch of times, you will become comfortable with your gun. Assuming it is a quality-built firearm, you will gain a confidence because you know that it has always worked before, and you would know if something were different. This doesn't take that long if you clean frequently.

Or you could just carry a BUG
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    One more thing to remember is to know whether your pistol has a magazine disconnect. If it does you must have a mag in place for the action to work. I disassemble and reassembled my S&W 1066 about 4 times a couple of weeks ago before I remembered that I had to have a mag in to be able to pull the trigger. Dry firing after cleaning is a habit I developed right after I started carrying.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

After cleaning and reassembly, cycle it a few times, dry fire it a few times then drop a pencil (eraser side first) or wooden dowel down the barrel. If it flies out of the barrel when you pull the trigger chances are that you are ready to go. It will come out fast so don't look at it or "You'll shoot your eye out."
    +1 more

Also I live in the country and since when shooting IPSIC I only had problems with clean guns, I step out back and fire 10-15 rounds. I do not carry a "clean" gun (well except the Glocks, 'cause, well they’re Glocks).

I trust my XD to go "bang" but having never before heard of sticking a pencil eraser end down into the barrel, I had to give it a whirl. All I had on hand was a Bic pen, but it made a nice little dot where the primer would be, and flung the pen out enough to where I had to look for it after it bounced off the wall. I'd say we're good to go. I'd also say that this is a great test to do. I already had the utmost confidence in my XD, but that just helped solidify

I only own revolvers. They will go bang.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither' -Ben Franklin

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Carry a bug if you dont have faith in your re-assembly abilities.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I put my AR back together last night and dry fired it. IT worked. If someone breaks in I have no doubt that it will launch lead without problem.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

In the Army, it was called a Function Check - if all the parts that were disassembled are put back correctly, and you can rack the slide and it goes "click" when you pull the trigger, then it's ready.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links