How are you sure it is ready and able to fire?

This is a discussion on How are you sure it is ready and able to fire? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering.....if your primary protection weapon has just been disassembled, cleaned, and put back together, how do you know it is ready to protect ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are you sure it is ready and able to fire?

I was wondering.....if your primary protection weapon has just been disassembled, cleaned, and put back together, how do you know it is ready to protect you without firing it first? I just cleaned my handgun after 50 rounds at the range. How am I sure it is ready and how do you feel about this? Thanks for the opinions and answers, D

Experience. And then, there is always dry-firing.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Experience. And then, there is always dry-firing.
    Yep... know your personal defense tool WELL!!!... Shouldn't ever be a question at all. I know mine will go BANG!!!!

Just put it back together the way you took it apart and you should know it will work. The more you get familiar with your gun the less you will worry, and you wont have to think about the gun not firing.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Our ccw instructor taught us something too. Upon re-assembling the weapon MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS UNLOADED and pull the trigger. Keep the trigger held back (don't release the pull) and rack the slide. After racking the slide, slowly release the trigger pull. You should feel a little click and you should be able to hear an audible click also. If this is the case, it seems as though it was put back together correctly and should fire.

I in NO WAY claim this is surefire and the safest means to do so, I'm just passing along instruction my CCW teacher gave to us.

Again, MAKE DOUBLE SURE IT'S UNLOADED if you do this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

My Kimbers are dry fired after cleaning, my Glocks...well, they're Glocks!

(Life has no guarantees...and mechanical stuff CAN fail at the wrong times.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Maybe I'm too naive, but I always just figured if it went back together easily and smoothly and there are no extra parts on the table, it is likely to be just fine. I'll dry fire one. Can't try it on the neighbor' cat because then I'd have to clean it again. Toes count too. You gotta clean it again.

Seriously, once you are familiar with your weapon I don't think this is a real issue. You will sense that something isn't going into place the way it should.

Another solution, use a wheel gun.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    After cleaning and reassembly, I always perform at least 5-10 function checks before I load the mag. I've only had my gun 8 weeks, but it's had well over 1000 rounds in 8 trips to the range since then, and I clean after every range trip -- so far, so good. It goes BANG every time I need it to.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

After cleaning and reassembly, cycle it a few times, dry fire it a few times then drop a pencil (eraser side first) or wooden dowel down the barrel. If it flies out of the barrel when you pull the trigger chances are that you are ready to go. It will come out fast so don't look at it or "You'll shoot your eye out."

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

an interesting conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by shootpar View Post
    How am I sure it is ready?
    Nothing is 100% certain. If I inspect all the parts, find them OK, assemble the pistol, perform the appropriate function checks, I at least know there's no broken or worn part to cause failure. But I won't know absolutely whether the pistol actually will fire until I actually fire it later at the range (then I know at that point that it would have functioned in an emergency prior to the range trip). Once it's fired, of course, it's then possible a part could have broken that will cause a failure the next time I try to fire it.

Even if the pistol works fine, the same applies to the cartridge: you can't be 100% sure the next cartridge will fire until after the fact...

So one can never know with 100% certainty that a pistol will work until it actually does fire. I find it best not to obsess over this too much. On every trip to the range, I fire the first self-defense round I have been carrying. It has always worked; that's good enough for me.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    After cleaning and reassembly, cycle it a few times, dry fire it a few times then drop a pencil (eraser side first) or wooden dowel down the barrel. If it flies out of the barrel when you pull the trigger chances are that you are ready to go. It will come out fast so don't look at it or "You'll shoot your eye out."

bosco
    That is exactly what I do also.

VIP Member
    Load it!

Seriously, check it's functionality. Anything can break anytime but if everything works, load it. Even if you just fired it, there's no guarantee it will fire again, although it probably will.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    If you have any "extra" pieces left over after you do your reassembly then you'll know for sure that it probably won't work.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Function check. Make sure it works properly on safe and fire, make sure decocker works if it has one, make sure trigger resets properly.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

There is no 100%.........

Quote Originally Posted by shootpar View Post
    I was wondering.....if your primary protection weapon has just been disassembled, cleaned, and put back together, how do you know it is ready to protect you without firing it first? I just cleaned my handgun after 50 rounds at the range. How am I sure it is ready and how do you feel about this? Thanks for the opinions and answers, D
    The next round you chamber might be defective. There might be a crucial part on the verge of failing or may have already failed without you noticing. Any mechanical device is subject to failure, there is no 100%.
    On the other hand, knowing how to maintain your weapon certainly helps, as does having the most reliable weapon and ammo you can afford. This would definitely put the odds in your favor.
    There is nothing more disconcerting than pulling the trigger and not hearing a bang.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links