Person to person purchase with CCW.

This is a discussion on Person to person purchase with CCW. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone in Michigan know how I go about purchasing a hand gun from a private party using my CCW instead of buying the purchase ...

Thread: Person to person purchase with CCW.

Person to person purchase with CCW.

Does anyone in Michigan know how I go about purchasing a hand gun from a private party using my CCW instead of buying the purchase permit? I know that when I bought my Taurus at On Target in Kalamazoo, the guy behind the counter just had a small white piece of paper with the basic info on it that I showed at the P.D., then they gave me my registration. Do I get said piece of paper from the P.D. with my CCW, or just get the standard three copy green registration form at no cost? Thanks.

Dave

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    MI doesn't have a "registration card" if I recall correctly, what they had was the safety inspection with the green card, and I think that requirement has changed.

ETA:

According to: MICHIGAN STATE POLICE LEGAL UPDATE NO. 70
    DECEMBER 22, 2008

FIREARMS LAW
    Safety inspection requirement eliminated
    Effective: January 7, 2009
    Public Acts 194 – 196 of 2008 amended Michigan’s firearms law by eliminating the pistol safety inspection requirement. Persons purchasing a pistol will no longer be required to present their new pistol to their local police department.
    Non-CPL holders will still need to obtain a License to Purchase a Pistol from their local department before purchasing a pistol. CPL holders will still document pistol purchases on a Pistol Sales Record. Two copies of Licenses to Purchase or Pistol Sales Records must be mailed or delivered by the buyer to their local police department within 10 days of acquiring a pistol. Failure to do so is a state civil infraction. Once a department receives either record, they must process them as in the past.
    Further, pistol buyers are required to have in their possession their copy of the License to Purchase or Pistol Sales Record for 30 days after they acquire a pistol. There is no requirement to keep a copy of either record after 30 days.

JD
    Administrator
    You can download the sales record here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

Michigan no longer uses the "green" inspection (registration) form. Between 2 CCW holders, use the new 4 part white form. One part stays with the seller, one to the buyer, one to buyers local Police or Sheriff's dept. and one to the Mich State Police in Lansing. I believe the blank form can be had at your local PD or from your favorite gun shop. If the buyer does not have a ccw then buyer must obtain a "purchase permit" from local PD. I do not believe there is a charge for this.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Links